forum

[Archived] preview points start earlier than they should

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Hawnta
Problem details:

in only two mapsets that im working on, preview points start around a second or half a second earlier than they should. if you switch songs rapidly in song select the real preview point plays, afterwards it goes back to being behind. i think it might have to do with me editing the mp3s of both of them, but i've edited the mp3s of multiple other songs and they don't have this issue

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20190828.2 (latest)
xenal
I've always assumed this is intended behavior to allow better transition from songs. All maps do this to different extends. It doesn't hurt either.

Website doesn't have delay. Lazer also (I think, from my small test (holy shit I hate lazer))
Topic Starter
Hawnta

xenal wrote:

I've always assumed this is intended behavior to allow better transition from songs. All maps do this to different extends. It doesn't hurt either.

i've had no map do it to this extent though; with other maps, it's only around a couple of milliseconds of delay between where the preview actually starts and the preview point. but here, it's a half a second at least, and one time in the past, i've had a map completely ignore the preview point altogether unless i switched maps rapidly in song select (which unfortunately i can't show you because i fixed that already, albeit i forget how). the reason i know this isn't natural delay is because the preview starts at different points, depending if you rapidly switch songs or not.

and i know it "doesn't hurt" and that it doesn't impact gameplay in any drastic way, i just find it a bit agitating tbh
xenal
The delay seems to depends on multiple variables. This include if the preview point is on a white tick, big white, how far it is in the song... also possibly include mp3 encoding, file size and even background size (time spent on loading the image isn't time to load preview point).

To be fair, I wouldn't consider this as a issue as this is already fixed in lazer and as I already said : I don't actually care about it xd