forum

Questions about fixed bpm speed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
XVX Arcane
Problem details:
Ok, so I had been playing osu on and off for around 9 months. I wasn't good, but not absolutely terrible (easy S on 2-2.5* maps, A-B on 2.5-3.5* maps). Now that I am actually looking to regularly play the game, I found out about this little thing called fixed vs scaled bpm. Had no idea this existed and it's awesome.

I know you're supposed to start out at like 10 or something like that, but playing maps (in particular fast ones) at under 20 bpm feels really weird and I get a really bad rank compared to some of mine before scaled bpm. what can I do so I can still consistently progress through the game? Lower and deal with it? Put it at like 25? 20? 15? I don't really know what to do here.
Any help given would be great. Thanks.

Edit: Thanks a lot for all the feedback received on this post! I'll make sure to use the advice you guys have given.

osu! version: Stable 20190828.2 (latest)
Ska
nah its cool you can set it to whatever youre comfortable with, starting up slow is just if you really need it, but defo not necessary
Yyorshire
fixed scroll speed as default when

literally no new player knows about it until they talk to someone who does

why is osumania so poorly thought out
Lights

Yyorshire wrote:

fixed scroll speed as default when

literally no new player knows about it until they talk to someone who does

why is osumania so poorly thought out

it often feels like the people who are developing the game mode have never played a VSRG before
Hydria
set fixed scroll speed to whatever you're comfortable with, I know players in a range of 18-35 so keep trying until you're comfortable, it'll prob change a lot whilst you progress as well so don't feel like you have to keep to one speed either
Bobbias

im_Lights wrote:

it often feels like the people who are developing the game mode have never played a VSRG before

Peppy refuses to make fixed speeds default because beatmania uses BPM scaled speeds. It's not poorly thought out, but an entirely intentional decision.
Lights

Bobbias wrote:

im_Lights wrote:

Peppy refuses to make fixed speeds default because beatmania uses BPM scaled speeds. It's not poorly thought out, but an entirely intentional decision.

I can name more VSRGs that dont use BPM scaling as the default than do, why is that one game so important to how osu is designed
abraker
because that's the VRSG ppy played back then
Yyorshire
nice to see some nostalgia getting in the way of game design

the large majority of players that know what they are doing use fixed scroll speed, that should be the default no questions asked
Lights

Yyorshire wrote:

nice to see some nostalgia getting in the way of game design

the large majority of players that know what they are doing use fixed scroll speed, that should be the default no questions asked

agreed. there are some really minor changes that would vastly improve osu!mania as a game mode that appear to be ignored for the most asinine reasons