forum

How long does it take to tap faster?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Matizu
I started singletapping around a month ago and found out i suck ass at tapping fast. The max bpm i can tap consistently is 165 bpm. I used to alternate before so I didn't really practice tapping at all. I also suck at streaming and can barely do 150 for 20 seconds. For other people I play with they overstream 170 while i tend to understream after 10 notes. I noticed that some days my stamina is just great and i can tap 180 for around 10 notes when normally i can barely hit 5 and then i have terrible days when i run out of stamina in 30 seconds. These days are pretty random and happen usually once a week.

Everyone just says play more and practice the bpm I'm comfortable with and that's exactly what i've been doing. I've only played the game for around 6 months but play a lot every day so i already have 325 hours. I don't think there are any shortcuts to getting my left hand to work so i'm just gonna ask how long did it take for you to tap faster or were you just good in the first place?
UnnamedBeast
tldr: grind passable high bpm burst maps and do https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/72474/#osu/207692 while playing for as much accuracy as humanly possible, SS isn't necessary but if you can 99% change to OD10.

First you want to go to the settings and find "Score Meter type" and put it to "Hit Error", then you wanna make it fairly large.

It's important to do all the bpms even the low ones. Being able to get very high accuracy on very low bpm gives you a lot of finger control which is vital for speed, also it will make passing the higher bpm diffs much easier allowing you to improve faster at streaming. Once you're able to get 99% acc on a diff change it to od10.

Another thing you should do is play maps with relatively fast bursts (190-200-210) and play those maps and you'll get much faster as well.

That's pretty much all you have to do, it's gonna take a long while but if you practice correctly you will be much faster and have really high acc on streams

For singletapping I can't say because I'm a full alt player, but it's probably just playing a lot of maps that you have to singletap fast for, like alt maps singletap for example and trying to get as much consistent tapping as possible
Topic Starter
Matizu

UnnamedBeast wrote:

tldr: grind passable high bpm burst maps and do https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/72474/#osu/207692 while playing for as much accuracy as humanly possible, SS isn't necessary but if you can 99% change to OD10.

I usually play that map a few times a day. 3 weeks ago started with the 120 bpm since it was the only one i could pass. around a week ago i did the 140 and now attempting 150. I usually fail at around 20-30 seconds from stamina dying but on good days i can get to 45 sec. On the higher bpms i fail withing 5 seconds. Also for burst maps i've been playing this https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/324303#osu/720590 map.
UnnamedBeast
to be honest it's really for the best if you mostly do the 120 and 140 one and try to get that really high acc I was talking about, because trying for accuracy is also more draining than just mashing through it
ZOOM-
Idk everything comes naturally I singletap 230 bpm
Kyomaku
There's no real point worrying about low stamina on low bpm, cause stamina isn't the issue for a long time, just practice bursts and accuracy and once you're faster from improved finger coordination, you'll automatically have much more stamina on lower bpms. To answer the question how long it took, I don't remember, but it didn't take that long to get to 170-180, maybe 1-2 weeks, 1 month? I remember being able to play the streams in this map in my first month of osu! https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/243#osu/1147

I did play lots of maps with triples etc to practice and I also played lots of singletap maps, cause of the people I talked with, so I just practiced all the things required to improve at both really early and got myself shit acc and consistency issues for it. You seem to have really good acc, so I'd say you're on a really good road for improvement, just slowly get faster while maintaining your acc.
Topic Starter
Matizu

Kyomaku wrote:

There's no real point worrying about low stamina on low bpm, cause stamina isn't the issue for a long time

When i have a bad day i run out of stamina on 90 second maps if they're above 175 bpm but on 165 or less i dont run out of stamina pretty much at all unless its a deathstream
Kyomaku
What I was trying to say is, that once you have the muscle memory and finger control to move your fingers faster, slower bpms cost you much less stamina. You have to understand it in that context. Hence you should work on that and getting faster, instead of doing stream maps.

Good example for you, 2 days ago I couldn't do 215-230bpm at all, my fingers wouldn't move, I ran out of stamina on singletaps, falling behind and starting to miss and streaming also didn't go well, I lost quite a lot of speed from practicing other things, so I grinded 240-260bpm really hard that day, focused on how I move my fingers and trying to make smaller movements, less force, came back today and now I'm almost back there, played 230-240bpm for 3hours without a break (don't do that btw, I forgot time, should have taken breaks and stretched a few times) and did pretty well on it, maintained the bpm on long singletap patterns and nailed lots of long streams full 300.

The difference? Finger control, my stamina didn't change, my fingers simply moved much more smoothly again, as they used to. I was trying to get better at accuracy, so I was doing bigger movements and put more energy into each click to be more aware of when I click, etc, but obv that lowers my speed, so now I'm trying to combine both things I learned, I guess. You already have acc, so you're in a "similar" situation to me from a few days ago, you just need to gain the speed and combine it well. Don't sacrifize acc for speed, ever.
Topic Starter
Matizu
But the thing is that i literally can't do higher bpm. If there is more than 10 jumps 175+ bpm i straight up lose rhythm because i can't click fast enough and fail.

I mean when i have a bad day and i can barely do 160 if i go to 180 i just fail.
Kyomaku
Maybe don't start with jumps and practice on easier patterns, where you can fully focus on your fingers? And bursts in your case, I'd suggest maybe trying 185-190bpm and trying to click short really short patterns at first, slowly moving to longer and longer click patterns. You do have to push yourself out of your comfort zone to get faster.

But that bpm is just a guess, you have to pick a speed where you struggle to keep up, but in short patterns, you can kinda do it. Sliders are usually resets/rests, that get you back in sync, so the longer the patterns without sliders, the closer to actually being able to manage the speed you have to be and faster maps with lots of sliders and only short circle patterns are ideal to get started on a higher bpm, as you only play slow sliders and short fast bursts and then you progress from there.
Topic Starter
Matizu
That's kinda what ive been doing. If u got any good example maps then please send them.
Kyomaku
High bpm 4* maps are probably all like that, little circles, almost no streams, maybe only 1 or 2 jumps per map with extended singletapping, should be good as a start for you to practice getting faster.

Try this. Go to map screen, press ctrl+o to open options, write "difficulty" to find the difficulty settings, set 4* as lowest, 4.5* as highest, close options. Write BPM>180 BPM<190 AR=9 (or whatever AR you want to play, most people want AR9 or higher, can also do AR>8.5 or something similar to have more results pop up). After doing that, just hit F2 and you'll get a random map, play it, hit F2 again, repeat. Change your filters/difficulty settings, if you want to have different kinds of maps.

An example map I found this way:

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/378559#osu/833638 (the 4.2* Insane)

I watched it on auto and it's pretty basic, if you want to give it a play "now", I could even watch and get a better estimation on what might help you, etc.