forum

Rant on Osu!Mania Ranked Maps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PrestonS_YT
Osu!mania is honestly dead at this point. The only maps that get ranked are either easy af and if you pass them with 99%+ accuracy, you will go down ranks. The maps that are high star level are either LN trash or just SV insanity. The star rating in osu!mania is not accurate at all, and a lot of unranked/loved maps are better than the ones that actually get ranked. It is honestly so boring having to play the same beatmaps over and over again just to go up ranks. The game devs obviously don't care about any other mode other than Osu! standard and the maps that are getting ranked are just bad. Most of the time if its an LN, it doesn't even fit the song like why put a long note where there is a snare hit or a note in the song is short, but noooo rules don't apply to LN mappers, just add long notes wherever it will still get ranked anyways. High Star clean osu!mania maps should be getting the recognition they deserve. A lot of players don't like to play an all LN map or an obnoxious SV map. I miss the old maps like Blastix Riotz that had nothing annoying about them. The only thing you needed to pass those maps is skill, now LN's are just annoying and SV's can just be very obnoxious for no reason at all.
Full Tablet

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

The only maps that get ranked are either easy af and if you pass them with 99%+ accuracy, you will go down ranks.

You don't go down in ranks for passing a new map, no matter how well you did on it. What happens is that your ranking is updated after you play a ranked map, so the display goes from showing an outdated ranking (that doesn't count the people who have passed you recently), to showing an updated one.
Agka
lol
Bobbias
I'm not going to disagree that a lot of easier maps are bad, and that there's a lot of bad LN usage in them, but that's always been the case. Unranked maps being better than ranked maps has always been the case too.

As for Lns and SVs, it sounds like you're being a butthurt little bitch instead of either learning to play them, or ignoring them. Here's a hint: You're taking shit too seriously. If you don't like LNs, don't play them. If you're going to bitch that it means you lose out on the PP from them, learn to play them properly. Those are your options.

You don't have to like them, and you don't have to play them.

Star rating has been a broken pile of shit from the beginning, because nobody working on osu has actually figured out how to calculate pattern difficulty (because that's fucking HARD) and because any change to SR and/or PP causes a lot of difficulty on the server side of things, meaning there's little incentive to make changes unless they are big and effective.

I've been playing mania since day 1, and I can tell you things are a lot better now then they were back then. There was no mania editor (you placed circles and sliders in the standard editor and they became mania notes), there were no ranked maps, so the only way to get PP was to play autoconverts (one of peppy's godawful decisions), there was no fixed scroll speed option, there were hardly any BATs, and the few that were there were completely swamped with maps to the point where hardly anything actually got ranked (once the ranking criteria was actually decided on), SVs had to be done with BPM changes because inherited timing points didn't do anything, there were hundreds of bugs and crashes, most mappers who didn't come from another game had NO idea what they were doing so even their nonLN maps were disgusting piles of shit.

I can keep going, but the point is that osu!mania is a far better game than it was back then.

I miss the players and mappers I chatted with back then, but the game itself was a stinking pile of shit compared to now.

Agka wrote:

lol

indeed.
lenpai
good pasta
DeletedUser_12001243
The only reason ln really breaks sr contains two factors. 1: Is it dense but also easy to play? 2: Are the ends or the starts of the lns snapped in a weird way that the game will think is some crazy pattern? Follow both of those and congratulations! You made a broken ln map!
PokeSky
sad but true

ln just a persoinal taste, but mania need more diversification, ranked map jsut mean bn love it, either the mapper or pattern (LN ,"unique" pattern lmao) or fa, if u are a mapper u will know how hard to get a map rank in mania, i have seen many quality map when i do modding, but only have few get ranked

more bn plz
even ctb is better than mania
Yyorshire
play etterna
abraker
I'm gonna pick this apart piece by piece and dismantle it into its component parts to salvage whatever is worth in this pile of scrap metal...

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

Osu!mania is honestly dead at this point.
Kinda? I made this, but it's breathing for now. Granted I wish more maps would be ranked. Currently there is just 3 and that's just too little.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

The only maps that get ranked are either easy af
Well there are a hard maps being ranked now and then, but again, not enough. We can both complain about how there are many more easy maps being ranked than hard maps but that's due to 2 reasons: Ranked requires easier diffs to go with harder diffs, and it's easier to rank easier diffs than harder diffs. What you can do to fix that is either rank hard diffs yourself, promote ranking of harder diffs, or figure out a way to change ranking criteria to better favor harder diffs.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

and if you pass them with 99%+ accuracy, you will go down ranks
Because you since that time some players gained more pp than you gained.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

The maps that are high star level are either LN trash or just SV insanity.
There are actually decent LN maps being ranked compared to back then. Going back to 2014 - 2016 the complexity of LN in maps never reached how it is now, which is a breakthrough imo. Regarding SV, I am not big on SV either and hate SV maps. Yet I can't say much regarding that because there are players who like SV. What you can do to fix both problems is support this and you can make a request for anti-sv mod. Then wait for them to be added into osu!lazer.

The star rating in osu!mania is not accurate at all
You forgot to say that score is a joke too. Difficulty calculation involves a lot of complex math and the community has yet to come forward with a solution that works. If all else fails maybe someday peppy will higher mathematicians to solve the problem once and for all. You can try and figure it out and be praised for it.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

and a lot of unranked/loved maps are better than the ones that actually get ranked
Yea I kinda agree with that. Ranked maps often have simpler patterning because the more complex the pattern the less people will understand it. It's one of the greatest faults with the ranked system and is something I down for figuring out how to fix if possible. Other than that, you can go ahead and try ranking maps with complex patterning but be ready to put a lot of effort into it.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

It is honestly so boring having to play the same beatmaps over and over again just to go up ranks.
I don't see what's the problem here. You need to get 920k+ score to get most pp out of the map. If get below you are not good enough. You can always look for more maps if you are tired of playing the ones you have. I have around 50k maps and haven't played maybe half of them.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

The game devs obviously don't care about any other mode other than Osu! standard
This perhaps would be a fair statement 4 years ago or prior, but as far as development on osu!lazer is concerned the community are the devs now. Now anyone can add in a feature into osu! if they know how to program in C#.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

and the maps that are getting ranked are just bad.
I think you said that already.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

Most of the time if its an LN, it doesn't even fit the song like why put a long note where there is a snare hit or a note in the song is short
Expressive liberty? Stylistic choices? As long as the mapping is consistent -- that is, the mapper uses doesn't use LN for snare hits randomly -- then it should be fine. What you need to understand is that beatmaps come in all shapes and sizes, and if you don't like a certain shape or size, you can just ignore it.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

but noooo rules don't apply to LN mappers, just add long notes wherever it will still get ranked anyways
Have you tried going into mod discussions on the beatmap page and modding a pending map? You should try that.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

High Star clean osu!mania maps should be getting the recognition they deserve.
Not sure what you mean by "clean". High star maps do get the recognition they deserve. There is just not a lot of them for reasons already explained why.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

A lot of players don't like to play an all LN map or an obnoxious SV map.
And a lot of players like to play LN or SV.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

I miss the old maps like Blastix Riotz that had nothing annoying about them.
Blastix Riotz is a meh map tbh. Empress and and Eternal Drain are better maps.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

The only thing you needed to pass those maps is skill
Pretty much.

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

now LN's are just annoying and SV's can just be very obnoxious for no reason at all.
I think this copypasta really hates LN and SVs

anyway we done. I give this copypasta a why the hell I do this/10 and now if you excuse me I'm going to mourn over the loss of my hour over this shitpost.
Caput Mortuum
obligatory play my maps post
-mint-
you are a clown. boo hoo SV and LN too hard. too gimmick. bad. and then you have the audacity to say that blastix riotz has nothing annoying about it. its the same shit. whether you can execute a gimmick well is what actually matters. now stop complaining about SV maps being obnoxious when youre the one being obnoxious here
Yyorshire
sv and ln aren't hard but they still suck :p
Tachyon
^
Ska
i agree w ranked maps being the big sock most of the time but the ln and sv thing is quite subjective tho, and it just sound like youre whining because you cant play it

personally ill be happy when dumps are rankable smh, also many loved maps i cant understand not being ranked but ight
Hydria

Venom_Striker5 wrote:

words

k bye lamo

Eraser wrote:

dude same omg
abraker
Guys I hate sv too ban sv its as bad as vibrooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I want to rank a 10* vibro map
abraker
Ranked vibro? Owh gawd think of the drama and the BN thats gonna loose their marbles!

I'm down for it, let's make history! where do we start?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Here
Tripletth
"lmao dude guess what last chorus is all ln bet u didn't expect that"

"lol yea but the song is synths so it fits xd"

- LN mappers 2019
_Kobii
2019 and people are still complaining about LN and SV oriented maps

pitiful, really.
Furryswan
Well, you're right, but it's true that users who specialize in high difficulty levels are busy one by one or two.

Also, making rly hard difficulty is because there is a difficulty in being able to express its own pattern Most beginner mappers who create Ex(or more)difficulty tend to be overly subjective or envision tough patterns.

(Imma SV atm lol sry)
Valedict
lmao
Kasumi-sama
don't care
smollilnub
I don’t play a lot of rank maps actually but I do play a decent lot of loved maps and a lot of loved maps are fun
spoonguy

Eraser wrote:

^

play my maps they don't have lns in them 8-)
Agka
woah dude my thread got so many replies haha yeet
yetii
don't play ranked maps then lol who cares about rank in 2019 anyways
abraker

yetii wrote:

don't play ranked maps then lol who cares about rank in 2019 anyways
in some, tournament rules
Furryswan

PokeSky wrote:

sad but true

ln just a persoinal taste, but mania need more diversification, ranked map jsut mean bn love it, either the mapper or pattern (LN ,"unique" pattern lmao) or fa, if u are a mapper u will know how hard to get a map rank in mania, i have seen many quality map when i do modding, but only have few get ranked

more bn plz
even ctb is better than mania

This is true and this is why I'm trying to be BN.

But there's some BNs like MEGAtive and Avalon who gives bubble even that map isn't interested in their mind.

However, there are fewer BNs who act that way. Also,BN who only gives bubbles to maps that match one's taste is not wrong. This is just a game and no matter what map they give Bubble to, eventually it won't matter in operation if they continue to making Rank maps.

It's just sad to see that this proprietary operation is a disadvantage to mappers who don't have a rank map yet.
Furryy
makes sense why almost all bns rank their own maps
Rikuka
1. always have been
2. please follow other ranked map structure etc etc
3. osumania is dead , if you found better rhythm game , just play it
bagjettka
bro this is from 4 years ago
Rikuka
but still relevant until now.