forum

Should CtB-only Mapsets be Rankable?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Mithos
A month or two ago, Taiko-only mapsets were made rankable. The argument behind this is that taiko is a different game and osu! maps do not translate very well to taiko. Being a taiko player myself, I like this change. CtB players, do you feel that the same argument that got taiko mapsets rankable could work on CtB as well?
LKs
I don't stongly demand to let ctb-only maps rankable cause there are classical and interesting translated maps(i.e. condition of translation from osu to ctb is better than from osu to taiko)

but I don't oppose this proposal, as long as we have enough ctb modders&mappers this may be a realizable change
bomber34
No, not really.
The thing is that modding ctb diffs is still kind new and there are not enough modders yet.
Maybe someday in the very far future.

About this standard to ctb translation thing.
It is true that standard diffs convert better to ctb diffs than taiko but they mostly turn out too easy or have pixel jumps or other smaller issues

But from my personal view I would like to see them of course.
(at least I would start to map ctb-only mapsets then for ranking) ^^

EDIT: The better question is: How are the Taiko only mapsets going? Does that work good?
I know that there is already one ranked but maybe people who are involed in that Taiko stuff could say something too about that topic
HakuNoKaemi
I support the idea, since Taiko-only mapsets are possible, CtB-Only mapsets should be possible too. The problem it's more in finding the mappers that will start creating CtB-Only mapsets
Topic Starter
Mithos
I am completely neutral on this subject. I know osu! translates better to CtB than it does to Taiko, but I don't play CtB much.
Kurokami
I want this as a CtB player and mapper, but its still too early. First we need to gather more modder since the current quantity is not enough. This is my point of view, but as I told earlier, I want to see CtB only mapsets.
Laharl

Kurokami wrote:

I want this as a CtB player and mapper, but its still too early. First we need to gather more modder since the current quantity is not enough. This is my point of view, but as I told earlier, I want to see CtB only mapsets.
This.
Deif
My opinion is the same as most people already stated. Theorically, it's possible to create a CTB-only mapset (in fact, there has been already an attempt: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/47541).

But still the rule/guideline thread is under discussion (theorically too...), there aren't enough modder/mappers, etc. I think it's possible, but we have to state a strong base of all those elements before trying that kind of project.
Inamaru
I'm happy to hear this by a "no-ctb standard" user. (And I would be happy to agree with you)
Unfortunately, CTB has several "problems" right now, the most important is that we don't have enough modders (and especially i'm talking about GOOD CTB modders)
Also, I said this several times (but looks like no one cares or thinks i'm talking nonsense) in this team (Bat/Mat). we're not ready to mod/judge perfectly those maps (I'm not saying we can't rank maps like this, but we aren't prepared well enough).
Sorry but in my opinion this suggestion/request is impossible to approve right now.
I hope the CTB community understands why I don't agree with this.
Mercurial
As CtB mapsets are not allowed yet 'cause there are not enough modders (or quality modders), I'd like to see a mentoring system for ctb mapping and modding (As Standard and Taiko Have one)
Topic Starter
Mithos
This is more of an informative thing for me than a formal request. I'm shocked by the answer, but it's understandable. If there were enough modders, could you think of any other reasons why CtB mapsets wouldn't be allowed?
Deif

Mithost wrote:

This is more of an informative thing for me than a formal request. I'm shocked by the answer, but it's understandable. If there were enough modders, could you think of any other reasons why CtB mapsets wouldn't be allowed?
IMO, this has to be polished first.
Aqo
Since most mappers are players themselves who strive to improve in their gametype of choice and to have more fun maps to play on, getting more mappers and modders would mean getting more experienced players. CTB players should try to make the game type more attractive for standard/taiko players to try out.

At least from personal experience, I can say CTB didn't look very interesting until I discovered the existence of Reds. If there were more low-level CTB guest-diffs for mapsets that have jumps patterns and maybe a few Reds I think it would help attract std/taiko players to try out more CTB, which would lead to more mappers/modders in the long term. Or in short, even if you're not making full CTB mapsets right now, make CTB guest diffs. All of the taiko guest diffs is pretty much what led to the demand of taiko mapsets today.
Topic Starter
Mithos
If I find a CTB diff on a song I like I wouldn't mind playing it (if I could play it, that is.)
Sakura

Deif wrote:

Mithost wrote:

IMO, this has to be polished first.
This pretty much.

Until the ranking criteria for Taiko is more polished and less based off bugs/general criteria and there's actual rules/guidelines that exist to make a CTB map good, fun, etc, it is pretty much impossible to proceed with making Ctb-only mapsets rankable.

I am kinda worried about the modding and mapping community of CTB as well, considering it's already rare to find a CTB map getting ranked even with them being allowed for some time already.
eIohim
Unlike with Taiko, regular maps do translate decently to CtB, that said, any difficulty below hard without mods is just extremely easy which is in a way the reason why there are very few regular CtB players with a rank below 3000.

CtB only maps are often demented in nature (casual player wouldn't stand a chance really), I would love them to make it to at least approval, ranked is somehow out of the question though.
MMzz
You guys might be forgeting something here. (I didn't read the whole thread so don't yell at me for saying something someone else did ahh)

Taiko has a vast modding community and has been getting maps ranked inside map sets for awhile now. We have plently of people to get maps modded and get maps created.

Now lets look at CtB.

I can't even name 10 modders, ctb maps being rankable insides map sets just happened like a few months ago. there are barley any ranked CtB maps out there.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that it's too early to be thinking about this for CtB. Maybe in a year or so the modding/mapping community will grow to where Taiko is now. Just because Taiko is now rankable doesn't mean CtB should automatically be worthy. Taiko has a set modding system and a basic understanding of how maps work and it's proven to work with the amount of ranked taiko maps are out there. Yes solo ranked sets are going kind of slow but it hasen't even been a month yet. Gosh if we just went around ranking them willy-nilly people would complain about speedranks lol.
mancuso_JM_
I'm totally agree with MMzz about that.
CTB community should wait a bit more before to have CTB only mapsets rankable, there aren't a lot of CTB modders to do that (btw, the CTB Queue is closed, so this is another favour point to me).
We should see more CTB maps Ranked on 'common' mapsets and then we can think CTB only mapsets
eldnl

mancusojuanmattos wrote:

I'm totally agree with MMzz about that.
CTB community should wait a bit more before to have CTB only mapsets rankable, there aren't a lot of CTB modders to do that (btw, the CTB Queue is closed, so this is another favour point to me).
We should see more CTB maps Ranked on 'common' mapsets and then we can think CTB only mapsets
It is time to open a queue to mod ctb difficulties.
Deif
That 1st queue was originally opened to craft some of the rules we have nowadays, and as a method to gather new modders to practice/improve their mods. It was quite successful at the beginning, but its activity got decreased after the 1st maps got ranked, so there's no sense in keeping it open by now.
XEPCOH
We need to divide BAT's and MAT's by osu! only, taiko only and ctb only modders and in some months there will be much more of them :3
I think that it is too dawn early to make ctb-only mapsets being rankable because CTB difficulties became rankable only 4-5 months ago and they need time to become as more as taiko difficulties which are much easier to make.
TheVileOne
I don't think the rules/guidelines are that much of a crux to allowing gamemode specific mapsets. osu! standard had to start with minimal rules. It was not possible for a perfect rule/guideline set to be compiled before mapsets were created and released. This should apply to other gamemodes. CTB is going to take ages longer than taiko to work out what works/doesn't work, so really I think it would be more proper to map more CTB and see what happens.

Until we start encouraging players to expand into all difficulty levels of CTB maps, then we might not ever know how to properly make them. What I'm saying is that by making it unrankable, we are slowing the process down considerably. What's also making the process more difficult is that the editor isn't designed for proper CTB making. It would be nice if they started adding better gamemode specific editing options/view modes.

I want to see a CTB only mapset. CTB is perhaps the gamemode that needs rules/guidelines the least since it's the simplest of the three modes. There aren't guidelines telling mappers how to exactly place patterns on the screen. I don't know why CTB is any different. No rule/guideline needs to tell mappers what settings to use in standards. We allow mappers to experiment and then we consider for ourselves whether it works for a specified difficulty or pacing. Mappers are allowed the freedom to choose the complexity of their patterns, and that is true in all gamemodes.

Until we see more CTB difficulties, we can't expect more players to specialize in modding CTB difficulties. How do we encourage players to make CTB difficulties? By not forcing guidelines/rules down their throats. and that's my opinion.