forum

how depressing is puella magi madoka magica?

posted
Total Posts
show more
mathexpert

Yuu-Chii wrote:

CLANNAD AS far surpasses all of the stated above
eIohim
Madoka wasn't depressing at all, bittersweet at most, and only if you're kinda sensible. Otherwise it ends in an ok note to me.
About AnoHana, I've had it on my HDD for two weeks now, and I never have enough time to watch it. Although, after reading the -sort of negative- feedback here, I'm giving it a shot tonight.
rizqy96
well, it's depressing but interesting at the same time being it's a magical girl anime. And i'm looking forward to the movie. The movie will be aired soon.
nomen
Same, I'm waiting for movie. I'm pretty sure it will be awesome.
rizqy96

nomen wrote:

Same, I'm waiting for movie. I'm pretty sure it will be awesome.
yeah, but it's a ashame that the 3rd movie with the new plot is still next year. I'm curious with what will happened to homura and the others
ampzz

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Clannad wasn't depressing, it was plain stupid and poorly written.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is a prime example of anime which is actually heart wrenching.
Tanzklaue

ampzz wrote:

Yuu-Chii wrote:

yay, finally someone who shares my opinion about clannad.
TKiller
Yeah, Clannad sucked.

Years later I am still mad I got tricked into watching it.
Accelerator-kun

ampzz wrote:

Yuu-Chii wrote:

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is a prime example of anime which is actually heart wrenching.
+1
JonnyThatJonny

TKiller wrote:

Yeah, Clannad sucked.

And now you're making me have 2nd thoughts about watching it, I still only watched the 1st episode lolllllllllllll
nomen

TKiller wrote:

Yeah, Clannad sucked.

Nope if your anime library contains 30 anime and you can't criticize. Just like me.
Dafydd
I cry everytime Son Goku dies trying to save the world. (DBZ)
those
Madoka was a whiny bitch that cries too easily
mathexpert

those wrote:

b-but she's just a little girl ;_;
California

those wrote:

+1
UnderminE
Came here to say "Tokyo Magnitude 8.0" but ampzz already did it for me~
NoHitter

those wrote:

Not in the universes where she turns into a magical girl.
NCassava

rizqy96 wrote:

well, it's depressing but interesting at the same time being it's a magical girl anime.
those

NCassava wrote:

rizqy96 wrote:

well, it's depressing but interesting at the same time being it's a magical girl anime.
Zero no Tsukaima was neither depressing nor interesting toward the last seasons.
rizqy96
Zero no Tsukaima was neither depressing nor interesting toward the last seasons.
Mmm.. i don't know why but i got bored watching this and only watched the 4th season until eps.2
Accelerator-kun
The only good season in Zero no Tsukaima was the second, I liked the last part. Other seasons are meh.
ampzz

those wrote:

rizqy96 wrote:

Christ... the level of anime being labelled as depressing is getting worse.

Zero no Tsukaima is pure trash along with Shakugan no Shana.
JonnyThatJonny
Depression is what you feel after finishing all the seasons of Aria.
mathexpert

ampzz wrote:

Christ... the level of anime being labelled as depressing is getting worse.

Zero no Tsukaima is pure trash along with Shakugan no Shana.
its cuz you want to kill yourself after watching a episode of zero no tsukaima jesus christ i hated that anime
MrsNana
depressing ? No, not really. It's an awesome Anime. It must be watched guys !!
Mogsy
I think people go into Madoka Magica nowadays both expecting the tonal change and a moe cryfest. That's not what the show is about whatsoever. That's not what makes the show powerful. It is a serious decon-recon of magical girl/moe tropes while still telling a damn good (and yes, dramatic/tragic/bittersweet) story. The important part is that it is much deeper than that.

While one gets whatever they want out of a piece of media, Madoka Magica has quite a few layers of spiritual metaphor and allegory to it. The progression of the character of Madoka is an allegory of Buddha while at the very end being a blatant metaphor for Jesus Christ. However, the post-series reaction emphasizes the importance of spirituality in one's life, the idea that in order to overcome adversity, even during the most dark and troubling times, one must have faith in something, whether that is oneself or a higher power. It's a tale of caution and finding something to believe in.

As far as the 'depressing' elements of the show: watch yet-another-manipulative-moe-drama if you want that. No, Madoka is not as 'depressing' as shows like Angel Beats! or Clannad, but it's not trying to gun for your heart intentionally. Whatever impact Madoka has is there to drive its themes across, coming from a more genuine place.

Finally, character deaths were part of the multiple deconstruction elements going on. Think about everything in the grand scheme of things.

tl;dr: Focus on the big picture. Focusing on whether or not it's 'depressing' only clouds the depths of a work of art.

[/seriouspost]

EDIT: Also, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is easily the most emotionally evocative drama I've ever watched.
those
So one tries to tie religion to magic... not like we haven't seen this before (i.e. Index)
Mogsy

those wrote:

So one tries to tie religion to magic... not like we haven't seen this before (i.e. Index)
Except Index fumbles these themes at every opportunity. Madoka isn't outright trying to do this (until the very end, where its multiple spiritual ideas come to fruition). Doesn't help that Index is about as shallow as an inflatable pool. The spiritual themes in Madoka aren't even directly tied to magic sans Homura's wish setting up this Buddha allegory for Madoka/a Faustus allegory for her and Madoka's final wish.
silmarilen

ampzz wrote:

Yuu-Chii wrote:

tokyo magnitude 8.0 for saddest anime ever
also bokurano is kinda sad
forgetM3not
so depressing that I stay quiet for a while :|
Optical_old_1
I didn't find it to be depressing, rather I found that it was a bittersweet ending, but there are some moments in the anime that shocked me. I found Clannad to be sadder because I liked most or all of the characters and the relationship between the main characters were developed in 30~ish episodes. In Madoka it was hit or miss, some characters I liked, some I didn't. And I think there wasn't really enough development with some of the characters to make me "care" about what happens to them.
N A L U
so depressing I felt bad to Sayaka
:( :( :( :( :( :(