forum

Perfect Modifier Causing Probblems in Multiplayer [confirmed] [resolved]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kitokofox
I decided to boot up a multiplayer game and see how the Perfect modifier stacks up. And I'll tell you, it's still a little buggy.

Someone named Creeper 555 joined the game, and he/she was such a big help. :3

Osu! Mode:

I began the game, and right away I failed by not getting a 300. The problem is, after I failed, I could continue playing. But 100s and 50s would register as Xs and not count to my score. They would get hit sounds, and sliders could be completed before getting X'd too. Spinners were just fine, however. This is a problem as it inhibits future scoring after failing.

Here is a screenshot example of not getting any 100s or 50s simply because PErfect modifier denied them and turned them into misses.

Catch The Beat Mode:

No problems were found in this mode, surprisingly. After failing, players could still play and obtain score normally.

Taiko Mode:

This mode had it worse for multiplayer. Alike Osu! mode, it will register 100s as X's, but still provide a hit sound, and not register to the score. On top of that, all the steps in the queue line become grey, making it very difficult to obtain score after failing (Taiko mode wasn't meant to be failed before the end of the song, so this is understandable)

Here's a screenshot example:

Oh, and the stacked mod bug appears here again too. Haven't tried it for Nightcore but as far as I know the stacking mod bug is here again to haunt us again! :o
dkun
There was a similar issue with this and sudden death, where missing would cause a giant massive X on the screen and promote the same behavior as you described on Standard.

But the Perfect Modifier is indeed supposed to recognize only 300's, which doesn't make it a very good multiplayer mode, don't you think? (This goes for all three game modes)
Topic Starter
Kitokofox

dkun wrote:

But the Perfect Modifier is indeed supposed to recognize only 300's, which doesn't make it a very good multiplayer mode, don't you think? (This goes for all three game modes)
Maybe a tourney for perfectionists? It's only meant to fail someone if they weren't perfect somewhere in the song, as far as I know.
dkun

Kitokofox wrote:

dkun wrote:

Maybe a tourney for perfectionists? It's only meant to fail someone if they weren't perfect somewhere in the song, as far as I know.
The point for Perfect is to keep going with 100%, and if you don't achieve it, you're supposed to restart all over again in the song.
Topic Starter
Kitokofox

dkun wrote:

Kitokofox wrote:

The point for Perfect is to keep going with 100%, and if you don't achieve it, you're supposed to restart all over again in the song.
But that'll clash with the togetherness with multiplayer.. You can't just start all over if you're in multiplayer.
This is peppy's project and new mode, so I think it's best left for him to decide.
dkun
Multiplayer is for people to play together, what is the point of playing with a mod like Perfect/Sudden Death when chances are, you won't be perfect and will probably miss?

Retrying is a big aspect of the game.
Topic Starter
Kitokofox
Me and two other friends had a blast earlier thanks to the Sudden Death modifier just this week. We had a little tournament in Catch the Beat called Full Combo Tournament, where we needed to full-combo the song in order to keep us from getting eliminated. And I say, we had quite a blast challenging one another. :)
laport
I think it's very funny, the way the perfect mod handles right now in multiplayer in standard mode and I hope this won't be changed.
peppy
I think personally it's best to remove Perfect as an option for multiplayer. I can understand if people are disappointed with this, but it doesn't feel like a good fit. I may look at implementing something similar for multiplayer games in the future, but for now I am going to remove it as an option.
Topic Starter
Kitokofox
Thanks for the straight answer peppy.

I know some people (like me) wouldn't mind Multiplayer have Perfect mod, and I know some who would be disappointed with it.
And I will definitely be looking forward to whatever you have in mind your clever. :P