forum

Weightlifting linear periodization into Osu! as a tool for constantly improve (Extense guide)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Alongal
First of all, this application to Osu! and any videogame has not been tried yet, I am only making an hypothesis. I have tried my best on putting all the information in the simplest way posible so non-lifters can understand this as best as posible. Another important thing is that I am still not a Strenght and Conditioning coach so remember all this information has not been delivered by a professional; only by an enthusiast.

"Story"

Let me put you in context. A month ago, I reached a plateau on the 3 main lifts (without counting OHP) for 1-2 months; no matter how hard I trained at the gym, neither how serious I took nutrition and recovery, I couldn't break that plateau, until I learnt more about programming and learnt about periodization

Definitions

In simple, periodization is a form of training in which you implement phases into your training. There are 2 kinds of periodization: linear and non-linear (undulating), but in this post I will only talk about the linear one.
Linear periodization is a type of training in which the starting volume (amount of work) is very high and the intensity (amount of effort) low, but as the program develops the volume goes decreasing and the intensity raising until reaching the supercompensation, which is, the new adaptions your body has made because of the adaptive stress inputted, after taking a deload (relax) week when you have finished your program and recovering from it.
Linear periodization it's divided in: microcycles, which are commonly each week of a specific program; mesocycles, in a less nerdy way, the specific program with its own specific goals, it is usually compound of 5-8 weeks; and macrocycles, which is the annual plan (I won't get deep into this)
Another important thing, it's that the early phases of this kind of program, as the volume is higher, the workloads are lighter. And the way for calculating volume is by multiplying: Workload * Total repetitions

Before applying this method to Osu!; I will use the Candito's 6 week strenght program as an example of linear periodization.

Application to training

This program is splitted into 6 microcycles of 1 week each one with a different emphasis:
-Week 1 ­Muscular Conditioning (Volume ++ Intensity ---)
-Week 2 ­Hypertrophy (Volume +++ Intensity --)
-Week 3 ­Linear Max OT (Volume - Intensity +)
-Week 4 ­Heavy Weight Acclimation/Explosiveness (Volume -- Intensity ++)
-Week 5 ­Intense Strength Training (Volume --- Intensity +++)
-Week 6 Deload or 1 Rep-Max test

As you can see, the early phases are focused on getting the lifter more used to the lifts, making them master the lifts and developing mass, which will be used more as the program goes on. The later phases are focused on using that enchanced technique and the extra muscle for increasing your old 1 Rep Maxes.

Application to Osu!

Enough nerdy talk, now what you have been wanting, how can we apply this to Osu! and probably any other skill based videogame.
For starting to make the program, firstly we need to think on our "stats" and knowing what is restraining us from becoming better players. Let's put me as the example for building an Osu! skill improvement program.

I feel comfortable playing in the 4.3*-5* maps, maps with a total lenght of 1-2 minutes, my accuracy average is 96.1% the hardest maps that I can play while still being able to FC are up to 5.3*, I am Ok with HD, terrible with HR, DT and FL, I am good on AR<9.3 OD<8 CS<4 and bad on higher, my aim is Ok on big jumps and good on small fast jumps. (Also song types, patterns and so on can be examinated)

After the "self-examination", you have to think what do you want to improve; in my case I want to improve my accuracy, my stamina and being more consistent. So, using the conclusion on the Application to training section, we can start building the program. Take in mind that you will need the use of easier (EZ HT) and harder mods for alterating the beatmaps parameters.

Week 1 - Accuracy conditioning (OD>7.5 CS>3.5 4.5*-5* 2-3 mins maps @97%)
Week 2 - Aim, accuracy and higher consistancy conditioning (OD>8.5 CS>5 3.9*-4.4* 2-4 mins maps @95%)
Week 3 - Higher difficulties conditioning (OD>8 CS>4 5.1*-5.5* 1-3 mins maps @93%)
Week 4 - Higher difficulty transition (5*-5.5* 2+ mins maps @95%)
Week 5 - Reset with new objectives / Break Top Scores / Rest

That would be a cycle of an Alongal Osu! linear periodization program (not a very fancy nor sticking name tbh). Obviously each program must be individual to the player needs and level; and of course you can change the lenght of the cycles by including more preparatory weeks or shorter, by condensating the program.

Results

As previously said, I haven't tried this in Osu! yet, but in my lifting experience (half a year), this skyrocketed my main lifts by a ton in only a cycle of the Candito's 6 week program: Squat old=75kg new=87.5kg Bench Press old=55kg new=62.5kg Deadlift old=80kg new=115kg WOW
So, if you can improve as much in Osu! as I did in a cycle of training it would be a astonishing.

Notes

It would be incredible if you tell me your thoughts about this in the comments so I can improve this. Also, there's the undulating periodization so if you want me to write a post about it (even though it is easier in my opinion) tell me. If I need to edit this post I'll edit it and put in a box the Edits. I have never written a post this long so there may have lots of gramatical and structural problems. I will share this on reddit aswell if you want to check it out.
illyTheKid
Honestly I don't think there is much correlation between resistance training and osu. Simply put weightlifting requires muscle development and the right technique and osu requires muscle memory and technique.
The thing is that you have limited tries with weightlifting, you do your set and you're done, you have to rest for a long time before you can try again. With osu I could play 12 hours a day if I felt like it, maybe taking a break now and then.
As long as I'm not mentally exhausted I can play osu, lifting is very different. Unless you're doing long stream practice I guess.
Topic Starter
Alongal

illyTheKid wrote:

Honestly I don't think there is much correlation between resistance training and osu. Simply put weightlifting requires muscle development and the right technique and osu requires muscle memory and technique.
The thing is that you have limited tries with weightlifting, you do your set and you're done, you have to rest for a long time before you can try again. With osu I could play 12 hours a day if I felt like it, maybe taking a break now and then.
As long as I'm not mentally exhausted I can play osu, lifting is very different. Unless you're doing long stream practice I guess.

What I tried to show it's the aspect of planification in Osu! having certain objectives in mind so you can go improving in certain aspects of the game and then, stick everything up. Using the Candito's strenght program as an example here again; the first weeks in it you improve necessary points like increasing the musculature and technique and later you stick both things up by training putting more effort so you avoid losing the extra gains because they have not been used. Yeah, you can avoid training with a higher workload after the conditioning phase and still maintain some gains, but you will not retain so many gains as if you worked heavier after the conditioning. And with Osu! in my opinion its practically the same, if you train higher OD, then separately train higher AR and never spending some time using that improved skills by playing both higher AR and OD maps you will lose a part of the new improved skill, when you could just spend some time using both improved skills so you lose nothing.
Maybe spending whole weeks training skills separately might be too much time, and using a day scheme could be a beter option, but afterall, you gradually go sticking both skills so you get the most out of your time.
Vuelo Eluko
Remilo
what?
Endaris
There's nothing you can use that in osu! for. Not even stamina because your weightlifting process is about strength, not about stamina.

Certainly, making a progress plan on achieving certain goals is a pretty good start but please step away from weightlifting as an analogy because it doesn't have any weight in regards to osu! (pun intended).

If you want to dive further into planification, you can check out this guide by a reasonably successful osu! player: https://puu.sh/unB20/caee7b883d.pdf

Or this guide by a not so successful player: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/342548

tl;dr
Set a goal and then be smart in some way about what you play and put collections to good use. That's it.