forum

Feel more consistent with a membrane

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MrSparklepants
Ok, so my mechanical keyboard is finally starting to wear out, so I tried to use my $1 membrane keyboard just to see how it felt, and I honestly feel more comfortable and consistent with it and I even got my first 200PP play with it, will switching to membrane hurt my progress or not?
SunriseAbsence
Yes it defenitely will. Quickly buy new mechanical Leopold keyboard with Gatreon switches. Only this setup is the only right way to play osu!.
Floth
it wont hurt your progress... mechanical or membrane is just preference

if you feel better with membrane go ahead
Topic Starter
MrSparklepants

SunriseAbsence wrote:

Yes it defenitely will. Quickly buy new mechanical Leopold keyboard with Gatreon switches. Only this setup is the only right way to play osu!.

blufir_ wrote:

it wont hurt your progress... mechanical or membrane is just preference

if you feel better with membrane go ahead

The reason I'm asking this is because almost every top player uses a mechanical keyboard, but thanks for the responses.
KupcaH
It's easier to play with mechanical keyboard on higher bpm as you don't need to bottom out keys, but for playing anything less than <240 bpm membrane can do anything that mechanical does.
iirc Yaong plays with membrane because he has better accuracy with it.
raccoongamer
I too was confused about that, did streams a lot more consistently on membrane (even laptop) keyboard, and it turns out the reason is quite simple: poor finger control.

It’s a lot easier to get all scrambled up when you play with, for example, red switches, because the presses take almost no effort, contrary to membrane keyboard, which require you to be “more intentional” about buttons you press.

So, basically, it’s up to you, but bear in mind that mechanical keyboards (red switches especially) give you speed, a thing you probably won’t be able to develop to that level with membrane keyboards, whilst finger control is easier to develop (and would be beneficial regardless of the keyboard you use).
Vuelo Eluko
there was a top speed player who showed that he could do the same on membrane he does on mech, i forgot who it was
it doesn't really matter in the end, regardless of bpm... but mech feels so much better, and may improve your stamina if you get heavy ones that help push your fingers back up such as black switches