forum

Help out a new modder?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Joltie
Thanks for clicking!
I'd love answers to a few questions I had about modding so if you can answer even one, I'd really appreciate it!
Please excuse the potentially stupid questions, I'm flying blind here.

1. Is it a viable problem if a section of the beatmap is repeated (i.e. copy and pasted) if the section of music is the same?

2. If you play a level at a bit higher skill level than you can fc, can you still point out what feels uncomfortable?

3. Is it courtesy to ask before you mod, or can you just mod any map that is not graveyarded? Excluding beatmaps that say 'not going for rank' or 'not looking for mods'.

4. If a pattern is repeated so many times that when it changes it throws you off, is that a noteworthy issue?

5. Can you point out that a section feels way more under mapped than the one that came before?

Thanks in advance!
TastyApple
I can share my opinions on these points even with my little to no experience modding.

1. Yes, usually copying and pasting a whole section (usually the kiai), and say rotating it, is frowned upon since it is seen as unacceptable quality.

2. Yes, in my opinion you don't have to be able to fc the map to be able to point out uncomfortable gameplay, just skilled enough to be able to acc the map or section of the map you are pointing out.

3. No you don't have to ask, but it's best when the map is pending and has recent mods so you know for sure that the mapper is looking for mods.

4. Depends on the map. For example, if the mapper uses a pattern to represent a pattern in the music and then in the next section builds upon the pattern and changes it I see that as perfectly fine in most cases. But if its like a clear inconsistency then yes it's a noteworthy issue.

5. Depends on the song. If any thing if the map just got out of a fast climactic section for example and the section after that slows down quite a lot then it might be best for the map to have a gradual slow down then a sudden one if possible.
Topic Starter
Joltie

TastyApple wrote:

I can share my opinions on these points even with my little to no experience modding.

1. Yes, usually copying and pasting a whole section (usually the kiai), and say rotating it, is frowned upon since it is seen as unacceptable quality.

2. Yes, in my opinion you don't have to be able to fc the map to be able to point out uncomfortable gameplay, just skilled enough to be able to acc the map or section of the map you are pointing out.

3. No you don't have to ask, but it's best when the map is pending and has recent mods so you know for sure that the mapper is looking for mods.

4. Depends on the map. For example, if the mapper uses a pattern to represent a pattern in the music and then in the next section builds upon the pattern and changes it I see that as perfectly fine in most cases. But if its like a clear inconsistency then yes it's a noteworthy issue.

5. Depends on the song. If any thing if the map just got out of a fast climactic section for example and the section after that slows down quite a lot then it might be best for the map to have a gradual slow down then a sudden one if possible.

Amazing! I can't thank you enough.
Topic Starter
Joltie
Bumping to see if anyone else has an opinion on these.
xenal
Tasty gave you pretty much what is needed. To add to what was already said:

2. While being able to play the map is the best, most of the time I don't even play the map, just vagely follow it in the editor. Enough to catch most of issues.

3. Mapping randomly from pending is random, you are never sure your mods are even going to get noticed. #modreqs should be filled enough. Log in, let that tab open, come back at one point and filter maps/songs you want to mod or not.

4. When the pattern change and "throws you off", if it is meant to throw you off, then it's no issue.

5. Undermapping and overmapping can both be pointed out if you feel they don't fit in the map.
lewski
adding to this:

xenal wrote:

3. Mapping randomly from pending is random, you are never sure your mods are even going to get noticed. #modreqs should be filled enough. Log in, let that tab open, come back at one point and filter maps/songs you want to mod or not

you can find tons of maps people are actively looking for mods on in any modding queue

modding decent maps is also good for improvement and the majority of bubbled maps are at least somewhat decent so you can look there too
Topic Starter
Joltie
thanks all!