forum

Ranks or improvement?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Count_B
Quick question guys: at which stage should a player concentrate on pp and ranks?
Vuelo Eluko
never
Justified
Just keep playing the game and forget about ranks for now
Kuroni
When u feel like flexing ur pp on ppl
Hawnta
farming isn't necessarily a bad thing (if i said it was then i would be a giant hypocrite), but you should balance out farming with practicing. looking at your rank, i'd suggest focusing on improving more than anything at the moment.
Dumbledoor
Why would you ever? You should have fun playing the game, that is it. PP and rank come/improve naturally. Playing as much as possible and keeping fun your #1 priority is really the only way to improve.
So enjoy the game and everything else comes with time. :)

Also, seeing you are fairly new, Welcome to Osu!
Topic Starter
Count_B
I guess anyone with less than a day or two of playtime is considered new 😅 thanks guys for the replies
Vuelo Eluko
anyone with less than 200 hours of playtime is considered fresh
and even then is just considered starting to get the hang of it
have no false preconceptions, this is not a game where you improve fast
mulraf
i think neither going for ranks or improvement is wrong. the thing that's important is going for fun. some people have fun going for ranks or improvement so naturally if that's the case i think it's a good option until you stop having fun with it.
Mentally Insane
Definitely not at your rank. You shouldn't worry about going for those until your like top 200k at the very least.
nniin
-
illyTheKid
Ranks come with improvement. No?

Ag_U wrote:

I don't even know how the pp system works anymore. I've been just using Osu as a warmup for the last week or so, just no-braining through a couple dozen unplayed 5* maps with no-fail, not really caring if I could pass the map even without it.

However, I'm constantly getting +50s and +20s etc, going up like 500-1000 ranks a day. Where are those ranks coming from? These plays are not top plays. How far can you farm ranks little by little like this?

At your rank even 1/10th pp gain will move you up, so basically any submitted score. If you get a decent 5* play you'll shoot up by several 10k ranks(probably).
Endaris

Ag_U wrote:

I don't even know how the pp system works anymore. I've been just using Osu as a warmup for the last week or so, just no-braining through a couple dozen unplayed 5* maps with no-fail, not really caring if I could pass the map even without it.

However, I'm constantly getting +50s and +20s etc, going up like 500-1000 ranks a day. Where are those ranks coming from? These plays are not top plays. How far can you farm ranks little by little like this?

Your total pp is composed of 2 components

1. Your Top Plays (and also plays worse than that but they contribute <1% of your pp)
2. Playing a lot of different maps. There's a flat amount of pp that you can get by setting scores on an infinite amount of different maps that caps out at 416.6pp.

y-axis is the amount of pp you gain, x-axis the amount of different ranked scores (multiple scores on the same mapset count as 1)
As you can see, with a low amount of ranked scores, an additional ranked score will give you still something "noticeable", the first 500 ranked scores amounting to a total of roughly 100pp.
Add to that the fact stated by the previous poster and that's how you get ranks.