forum

Lift Me Up - Depression Awareness Campaign

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Icyteru
Hello, this is a serious post about serious matters. If you are intending to troll or flame (I don't see why you would), please do not read on.

I myself have been touched by the fact that our world still has good teenagers in it.

I will quote directly from their website ( http://www.startsharingstartlistening.com - CSS doesn't work in IE)

"We are a group of 40 year 10 students. In participating in High Resolves, a leadership program, we have begun a community action project in the form of an awareness program for depression.
This was an issue that we thought to be relevant to us, and as we considered it, we found that we could really make a difference. Our goal in doing this is to create some public awareness about the issue of depression, and its varied forms. As well as providing some information about this condition, we are hoping to encourage people to research the issue for themselves by visiting other well established organisations. The focus of our project is also to start conversations about depression, in which depressed individuals will be able to talk to the people near to them about how they feel. This was an issue that we all felt passionate about, and that we hope to create a change."

As you can see, THESE ARE THE 16 YEAR OLD KIDS that are our future. So please help spread their message about the serious issue of depression by liking and sharing their Facebook page with everyone you know and also on all the forums. They have put a lot of effort into their campaign and they deserve respect.

http://www.facebook.com/liftmeuphr

Once again, every like counts in helping to spread their campaign and make the world a better place.
thelewa
osu! is a great way to relieve depression for a while

until you start obsessing over it
Agnes
Oh wait. Nevermind, thelewa made me think it was Off-Topic. Damn you.

On a serious note, I heard of the campaign and I myself have been surprised about the fact that good teenagers exist but the belief is there only briefly. I usually don't bother with Facebook in any case... ever... at all... I'll be willing to give this a look and do whatever means to support. Thank you for sharing this.
thelewa
Nah I thought of that when they listed exercise as a way to relieve depression, and I realized that osu! helps in a similar way too.

It's actually the reason why I kept playing for my first year
Vish024
Something decent on facebook, I'll have a look.
Shiro
wow, I'm baffled. I had completely lost hope in the generations following mine (included). This is great news.

As someone who's been under a major depression for more than 5 years, I wouldn't want to talk about that at all. The difficult part might be to get depressed people to actually talk about themselves.

If it wasn't on facebook, I'd follow this.
superch00b
Damn I don't have a facebook >:
I might make an account just to follow this XD
Jarby
I'll admit that I was offended at being called selfish and unperceptive by a web page.
D33d

Jarby wrote:

I'll admit that I was offended at being called selfish and unperceptive by a web page.
Well, well, well.
GladiOol
Depression is overrated bullshit. Man the fuck up, life is a bitch. Get over it.
Topic Starter
Icyteru
Yo, I suffered from depression 4 years ago, and even though I manned up, it's not one of those things you can get rid of straight away as easy as it may seem to someone who is not suffering. That's cause you lose your perception, and often people who suffer depression don't actually think of themselves as suffering from depression.
Ephemeral
a lot of incorrect "facts" and uncited statements there, but a good effort from a bunch of highschool students, i guess.

depression making people "selfish and unperceptive" is a massive generalization and is most likely incorrect in the vast majority of cases that i have studied - depressed people tend to be more receptive to the world around them, which makes them sensitive to anything they feel is directly pertinent towards themselves and their own issues. feelings of loneliness may be compounded by seeing couples or families on the street, for example.

"depression is closely associate--" stop that right there, correlation does not equal causation and to even include such a fallacious statement even to garner attention is an affront towards critical thinking.

there's a lot of issues with even the nominal amount of information they have included in this page, but it's a start, i suppose. i'm assuming you know/are one of these students, so you can probably get around to helping them address this. i'd be delighted to assist in providing information/resources on the subject - psychology is currently my major at university, and i study at a campus connected to the MARCS institute in western sydney.
thelewa
I was just waiting for you to post in this thread

thread's over guys
Ephemeral

thelewa wrote:

I was just waiting for you to post in this thread

thread's over guys
you make it sound like i am some big meanie who wants to close threads 24/7 :(
awp

GladiOol wrote:

Depression is overrated bullshit. Man the fuck up, life is a bitch. Get over it.
This is my own perception of the situation toward myself. I just don't permit myself to feel depressed. I don't know about the more biological components at hand, though.

People seem awe-struck that there are, in fact, decent people in the world. There's plenty of 'em - they just get drowned out by the assholes, who are far more vocal and attention-grabbing.
D33d
I suppose that the "selfishness" comes from the fact that, when in a state of depression, one invariably shuts themselves off from people. They certainly don't lose perception, but they must surely become very introverted. "Delicate and introverted" might be more accurate.
jjrocks
Well in Africa (and some other continents out there), there is no such thing as depression. Like if you try to say that you have a condition called depression they'll just laugh at your face. Something to keep in mind on how different cultures interpret "depression".
Jarby

jjrocks wrote:

Well in Africa (and some other continents out there), there is no such thing as depression. Like if you try to say that you have a condition called depression they'll just laugh at your face. Something to keep in mind on how different cultures interpret "depression".
http://www.sadag.org/
http://www.therapistdirectory.co.za/dep ... africa.asp

Common attitudes towards disorders in particular regions aren't great measures of prevalence.
Topic Starter
Icyteru
An update: