forum

Getting More Attention to my Map

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Crash10
Hello, for the past few weeks I've been going through the modding process of my most recent beatmap. Generally it has been going well, I made most of the changes I was suggested, although I left a few open for more opinions. However, I've been having an issue: I can't get too many people to mod my map.

I've posted my map on quite a few modding threads, all according to the rules. However, not too many people have modded it. Maybe it's a much longer process than I thought, or maybe most modders decided to decline my map, so my question is: how can I make my map get to a state where I can get more attention in modding threads? Are some changes necessary to make it more appealing for modders, or is it just a matter of personal taste from the modder?

I'm asking this because I've been waiting for certain mod requests for almost a month, and I don't want my map to get to the graveyard because I've not been updating it. Any direction is appreciated, as I wish to do the best map possible.
Your Good Self
I assume you're talking about this map.

Currently you have a lone Easy difficulty. That's not against the rules, but unless the song is quite long (>5 mins), typically at least 2-3 diffs are expected when going for Ranked. This is to prevent lazy mappers getting low-effort content ranked.

The map itself doesn't contain anything inherently downright unrankable, but most of it feels quite unstructured. There are notes being placed, but they aren't organized in a way that makes them particularly engaging and visually appealing, which is part of the "overall quality standards that are not part of the Ranking Criteria" referenced in the Beatmap Ranking Procedure. This is one of the harder parts to master for new mappers, as it's quite subjective and difficult to explain properly.

Since these "overall quality standards" are defined by the mapping and modding community at large, I would advise you to take a look at recently ranked maps, figure out what sets them apart from your maps, then take those ideas and try to incorporate it into your own work. M4M is also a good way to improve. You can expose yourself to a wide variety of mapping styles (so you know what is good and what is not), while securing mods for yourself as well.
lewski

Crash10 wrote:

Any direction is appreciated, as I wish to do the best map possible.

The fastest way to make a better map is to move on and map something else. If a map wasn't good from the start, no amount of modding will make it good unless you remap most of it.

To answer the original question, you need to catch potential modders' attention with everything in your mapset, starting with song choice. This is especially true in queues since they're really impersonal and there are usually a lot of other people trying to get mods on their maps. If someone loses interest in your map just from reading the song title or artist, you won't get a mod from them. Yeah, this means that certain kinds of songs are harder to get mods on or rank.

Another important thing is the difficulty spread; higher diffs are more exciting than low diffs and represent most songs far better, so a lot of people won't even look at low diff sets. Map quality can also make a difference, but in your case, the harsh truth is that the previous two points may turn a lot of people away before they even download the map. Nevertheless, those who do open the map may feel less inclined to mod it if they think it isn't good for whatever reason, for example those mentioned by Your Good Self.
Topic Starter
Crash10
Ok, so what I should do is:

-Try to play more maps and get a better feeling for structure and visuals, so I can use that on my own map.
-Try to add more, harder difficulties.
-Try to engage in M4M to get to know more maps.
-Move on to other songs eventually, even if I'm not done with one of them.

Thanks for the help, I'll take all of this into consideration.