forum

How long did it take you to pass Insane songs?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tanzklaue
wishy didn't understand it.
Wishy
Neither did you. You can play using any technique you feel comfortable with, which does not mean that's the best for you at all, I used to feel comfortable by alternating, tried single tapping and got a lot better in 2 days, same thing when I changed my pen grip I got better at patterns in a few days just because of that. And got many friends who tried changing styles/grips/etc and got better by doing that since even when they were comfortable, their playing method was just bad (I think every good player from my country went through that lol).
thelewa
well I think I'm good enough even though I focus on my cursor
Wishy
You told me you can't read AR 10 and I got you whining about how some patterns/jumps where super impossible to do... you are kind of proving my point. :p
Tanzklaue
and still, by the end of the day, everybody plays the way they want to play.
thelewa

Wishy22 wrote:

You told me you can't read AR 10 and I got you whining about how some patterns/jumps where super impossible to do... you are kind of proving my point. :p
oh jumps are easy to do now

ar10 being impossible has to do with me being naturally slow
nrii_old

thelewa wrote:

ar10 being impossible has to do with me being naturally slow
or so you believe

i agree with wishy, im more likely to hit full screen fast jumps by just relying on muscle memory and not watching the cursor
thelewa
nah man I'm the kind of person who sees something and reacts to it 30s later

if someone punched me in the face I would realize that I got punched in the face 6 hours later
nrii_old
gr8
Amefuri Koneko

Wishy22 wrote:

I changed my pen grip I got better at patterns in a few days just because of that.
What kind of grip change was it? I'm still changing my active area and pen grip almost everytime I play, but can't find the right ones, everytime there's something that feels uncomfortable T.T
kriers

thelewa wrote:

nah man I'm the kind of person who sees something and reacts to it 30s later

if someone punched me in the face I would realize that I got punched in the face 6 hours later
Totally.

I agree with Wishy here, though. Muscle memory is a major part of my mouse playing and I never look directly at my cursor, even though I pay attention to it all the time to confirm my positioning is right.
CXu
Speaking of not looking at your cursor, playing with an invisible cursor is fun, yeah.
Replay for epeen. (not that you can see that my cursor is invisible, lol)

Oh, and sometimes it helps looking at the cursor, sometimes it helps looking at the next note. It kinda depends on the map =3=
Tom69_old
Even if some method is better. How to prove it?

There is no way one can ever know if there is a superior playstyle or if there isn't.
Always watching the exact next note to press for my part. (Also trying to see squares and other complicated patterns as set of lines)
lolcubes
I actually don't look at neither my cursor nor notes, but approach circles. Explains why I'm so bad at reading, hidden and certain patterns. D:
I don't actually focus on the approach circles either, just use them as a reference on where to go, everything else is mostly peripheral vision.

But it's just the way I play so it's not that easy to change it. I like it too, because it's not as stressful.
sCam

Ami Furi Koneko wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

I changed my pen grip I got better at patterns in a few days just because of that.
What kind of grip change was it? I'm still changing my active area and pen grip almost everytime I play, but can't find the right ones, everytime there's something that feels uncomfortable T.T
When I changed my area like 3 days ago, I also changed the way I hold my pen. I went from holding it all the way at the top. my thumb was around the "AM" letters where it says bamboo. Now I'm gripping it right above the pen click button. Also, yeah, I'm doing all patterns better, and more comfortably, easier to snap to notes around the corner with a slight move of my thumb. Also yeah, I don't look at my cursor either. I use a white cursor on a very light skin, dunno where my cursor is half of the time. That's why I need 75% bg dim to FC AR9 insanes. <.<

edit; a video of me playing with my skin, can't see shit approach circles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGmp6zr_ ... ture=g-upl ;-;
nomen
I am playing without looking directly at my cursor, but still paying enough attention to it, either playing with mouse or tablet.
loli66
i ususally play some songs in the same difficult, and if i get b or a with a accuracy above of 90.00% of accuracy i play in the next diff the next time, but i usually play to another song in a difficult i can pass, or if i already play in one previous map i go to the next diff
JesusYamato
I think being able to read AR10, AR9+DT or AR7+HR+DT is about having a global vision and not focusing on either notes or cursor. That's how i "used" to play when i was still trying to be competitive.
boat

Tom94 wrote:

Even if some method is better. How to prove it?
Find about a thousand 100% thurstworthy asians who don't know of the game, make sure they are small asians in order to ensure cost efficiency (less noodles necessary to feed them with, and you can also save space), all of equal age, perfect eyesight, same muscle mass and identical learning capabilities.

Divide them into groups for every playing technique.

Lock them all in inside a room with a computer for every asian, with the exact same hardware on every one of the machines, and order them to learn playing osu! and to get a playcount of 5000 by the end of the week, no less and no more in order to ensure more accurate statistics. Make sure to have a listing of what maps they should play and practice on, in a set order and amount, so that they all play and practice on the same maps equally.

When they've played for a week, each and every one of them will get the same AR11 map to play, giving everyone two attempts is optional.

Measure the pass/fail and score ratio for each and every group, and you at the very least somewhat get the conclusion of what playing technique is more efficient.
Tool_Shed
What is everyone talking about when they mention Mouse acceleration? Didn't even know osu had it, can't find it anywhere under options?
Icyteru
mouse acceleration is overrated, doesn't affect gameplay that much because both require muscle memory.
G0r

Tool_Shed wrote:

What is everyone talking about when they mention Mouse acceleration? Didn't even know osu had it, can't find it anywhere under options?
Mouse acceleration is not found in the Osu! options. It is a function included in your operating system. On a Windows machine it is in the mouse options menu. It is called Enhanced Pointer Precision. Disable this at all costs. It is imperative to your muscle memory that you not use EPP.

[AirCoN] wrote:

mouse acceleration is overrated, doesn't affect gameplay that much because both require muscle memory.
If you truly believe that Enhance Pointer Precision acceleration does not effect gameplay, then you are simply wrong. There is 100% no experienced mouse user of any game who will use this form of acceleration. Some pros in some older FPS games used to occassionally use third party drivers to add very minor acceleration to their mouse movements, but it was only a fraction of the acceleration added by EPP. If what you truly meant is that mouse pixel skipping, such as the 1/11 slide in mouse pointer options is over rated, then you may be somewhat correct. That form of acceleration is not as crucially damaging to muscle memory as EPP is. It will only make the movement of the mouse less uniform on a very small level. However, it is generally agreed that going above 6 is detrimental, and it is widely believed that going below 6 is detrimental as well. The safest and most accepted and supported position is to leave it at 6. I won't go into a technical discussion of the reasons.

Bottom line: Do not use Enhanced Pointer Precision. Take caution when using any setting above or below 6 in pointer options. When adjusting mouse speed or sensitivity, always use the mouse's own DPI adjustment software that will be included in a third party program for that specific gaming mouse.
Vulf
Simply un-checking the "Enhance Pointer Precision" box in your mouse settings does not completely remove mouse acceleration. If you want exactly a 1-to-1 mouse to pointer response your going to have to edit a registry in most cases.
Yasuraka

Kinenz wrote:

Hi~ I'm new to osu! (been playing for almost 3 months) and I was just wondering: how long did it take everyone to switch from playing easy/normal/hard to insane? Did you skip the easier difficulties and head straight for the harder ones? I skipped right to insane the first week I joined. I couldn't pass insane songs for a while, so I constantly played songs far too hard for me with No Fail. Now however, I can play moderately fast insane songs and get around 90-95% on my first try without using any mods (on faster insanes I get about 80-87% first try typically). I have played a little over 10k times. Is this where I should be by now? Am I behind? Any feedback welcome.
Oh my gosh, yes, I RARELY play Easy / Normal songs unless:

1) They're the only difficulties available.
2) I'm aiming for an SS.

When I first started, I went straight for the Hard songs and always had No Fail on. After a lot of on and off osu! playing, I'm finally at the level I am right now. :3 I am pretty much like you; I can play moderately fast insane songs on my first try without mods, but I'm still working on the extremely fast insane songs. I have a little over 4k plays though, so I've got a long way to go with them fast songs. :c
flow

[AirCoN] wrote:

Mouse acceleration is detrimental in majority of cases although in some contexts it is utilised, for osu! it's definitely wise to disable. Acceleration adds an extra dimension to muscle memory, that being the adjustment of speed / distance thus making it far more complex to develop. It's not impossible nor unachievable, rather it's extremely difficult to be effective with.

It's also good to note that osu! doesn't have a character movement aspect, where you aren't able to turn or adjust your movement and direction to a target, it's completely reliant on your cursor.
Kanye West
mouse acceleration is useful if your mouse sucks
Sup A Noob
Actually Enchance Pointer Precision is less of acceleration and more of prediction, just like that additional option in osu!'s mouse sensitivity.

Unless coupled with a driver of its own, usually regular mice have mouse acceleration whether you like it or not. I played with mouse acceleration for a few months before switching it off, and that was when I was getting rather good with insanes. It took a while to get used to, but in the end I was able to do larger, more controlled jumps than before.

On topic: I was barely passing them in my first month, starting going apeshit on the second, and finally cleared them no problem in the third. Of course the standard during those times were drastically different from the standards today.
G0r

Sup A Noob wrote:

Actually Enchance Pointer Precision is less of acceleration and more of prediction, just like that additional option in osu!'s mouse sensitivity.
Osu!'s mouse sensitivity option is a correction of the formula used to calculate mouse movement. It simply calculates the movement more accurately where the old formula apparently rounded some values, as stated by Peppy. They are not related in any way.
Icyteru
yea, i guess one of the reasons I use mouse acceleration is cause I have the most basic optical mouse.

but still, i can do insane jumps fine with acceleration, like 7x7x7 jumps or airman(to an extent)

edit:
though if you think about it theoretically, mouse acceleration wouldn't be much different from non-mouse acceleration, since they both require different movements.

if the acceleration is constant, then just by getting used to it, your muscle memory will still work, cause it's the same movements every time
G0r

[AirCoN] wrote:

yea, i guess one of the reasons I use mouse acceleration is cause I have the most basic optical mouse.

but still, i can do insane jumps fine with acceleration, like 7x7x7 jumps or airman(to an extent)

edit:
though if you think about it theoretically, mouse acceleration wouldn't be much different from non-mouse acceleration, since they both require different movements.

if the acceleration is constant, then just by getting used to it, your muscle memory will still work, cause it's the same movements every time
That's just the thing. The acceleration with EPP is not constant. The acceleration changes with the speed that you move your hand. If you move your hand faster, then the cursor goes further, and vice versa. This is hell for your muscles. They have to learn not only how far they have to move, but also how fast they have to move. Imagine if you had a stick, and you were pointing at places on a blackboard. It's not hard to learn how far to move your arm to get the stick to hit one sport or another. Now imagine that that stick were made of extremely elastic rubber... It would bounce around further when you moved your arm quickly, and when you moved slowly it'd bounce closer. It'd be very hard to control it well enough to get it to hit exactly the point that you want to hit. This is why pointing devices are never elastic. XD

If you mean 1/11 acceleration, then that's constant except for on uneven settings, or so I understand it. Basically, if you set it to 7, then you get times where the software has to round off a .5 result, which results in your movement jumping a pixel. If you set it to 8, then I think it simply drops a whole pixel on every movement. This obviously means that you can't hit certain pixels, because they get dropped, but it is a uniform drop, and probably won't hurt critically like EPP does.
sCam
From my experience, when I began Osu using my mouse, I barely could've passed insanes with Mouse acceleration on. Once my friend told me to take it off, I started doing insanes like they were Hards ._.

Though, that was because I used a cheap normal mouse that came with my pc. When I told my friend who has a pro gaming mouse to check it off. He said it dosen't help, and fucks him up or something like that. So I think Mouse acceleration only works for people with normal mouses.

edit; oh and btw, I havent used my mouse in 6 months, but when i play with it to have fun..I can also do Lunatic AR9 maps with a few misses...so I'm just saying..you need to get a bunch or some experience before you start passing insane songs. It really dosen't matter what device you use, just how much time you spend with it, and the experience you gain from playing the game.
Sup A Noob
I like how time taken to pass Insanes can get completely derailed into something like mouse. The bottomline for mouse users is, turn off whatever pointer prediction your system has for the mouse (not acceleration).

Now, back to topic.

I've answered my part, so here's a tip. If you want to pass Insanes in the shortest amount of time possible, spent as much time possible on as many harder-than-your-current-skill-level maps as possible while taking that time to experiment on different playstyles and gaming philosophies. Once you get that drilled and secured in your head you should be in good stead to pass Insanes just for the fun of it.
Sprobius
That's how we do it nowadays. :)
silmarilen
it usually takes me about 2-3 minutes to pass an insane song
RaneFire
4 months to pass. Another 4 months to 95%+ acc some of the easier ones.

G0r wrote:

Some pros in some older FPS games used to occassionally use third party drivers to add very minor acceleration to their mouse movements, but it was only a fraction of the acceleration added by EPP.
Pro quake players still use minor acceleration values today, but you can't believe anyone's settings at face value until you know what hacks they've made to their drivers. Also nearly all mouse sensors cause +/- accel to some degree, with the exception being a few tried and tested mice. And 'back in the day' there were no 100% reliable sensors, so players added a comfortable level of accel to counteract it, and if mousepad friction bothered them slightly.
Preference, preference, preference.

Vulf wrote:

Simply un-checking the "Enhance Pointer Precision" box in your mouse settings does not completely remove mouse acceleration. If you want exactly a 1-to-1 mouse to pointer response your going to have to edit a registry in most cases.
Windows 7 is the first in the Windows line to have fixed this issue. You need only run the registry fix if you play ut99 or cs 1.6, etc.
i.e. Old games that call on the old name for the function that was replaced with EPP since Windows XP.

G0r wrote:

Osu!'s mouse sensitivity option is a correction of the formula used to calculate mouse movement. It simply calculates the movement more accurately where the old formula apparently rounded some values, as stated by Peppy. They are not related in any way.
Yes, osu!'s settings simply allows for decimal points on the cursor's position, making the use of values other than 1.0x more accurate.
-Soba-
I'm not sure since I still fail them
smoogipoo
When I started osu!, I played a small amount of easy maps before moving to hard maps. I remember the last hard map I ever played was Nehanshika. After that I swapped to tablet + keyboard and my accuracy started going down, but eventually I became better and reached my current (93.39%) accuracy. I guess if I were to estimate, it would have taken me about 1.5-2 months before I started insanes. I mostly stick to insanes which I can pass in an effort to raise my PP though, and I'm currently playing barely passable songs (at least for me), so my PP is dropping fast.
threenash
got my first S on Insane the day I got my tablet... lol
G0r
But did you play like Cookiezi?
enik
Bought a tablet, now I play like Cookiezi. With a mouse.
show more