forum

How long did it take you to pass Insane songs?

posted
Total Posts
show more
thelewa
Long story short: get a tablet, become good instantly
Jordan
What if SiLviA gets a tablet D:
JAKACHAN

Jordan wrote:

What if SiLviA gets a tablet D:
He never will already asked him.
lolcubes

thelewa wrote:

No.
:(
Nessuka

lolcubes wrote:

thelewa wrote:

No.
:(
This was absolutely correct for me.
Tablets make you pro instantly.
nrii_old

Twilight Sparkle wrote:

This was absolutely correct for me.
Tablets make you pro instantly.
didnt work for me
Aqo
Tablet makes you pro instantly
if you were playing mouse with acceleration
CXu
Tablet made me pro instantly, therefore it will make you pro instantly.
thelewa

CXu wrote:

Tablet made me pro instantly, therefore it will make you pro instantly.
I'm glad you understand my way of thinking.

edit: After all, every single human being is the same, they all learn at the same speed and such, right?
Tom69_old

Aqo wrote:

Tablet makes you pro instantly
if you were playing mouse with acceleration
Well.... worked for me. And I used acceleration. That would make sense, as Tablet forces no-accel which is better.
Aqo
Tablet also has full area by default which is like very small DPI. Most mouse players are used to high DPI which is terribly inaccurate and hard to play with.
No accel low dpi mouse is way more accurate than tablet hands down ._.
BeatofIke
I believe it took me around 2-3 months to pass my first insane (well an easy insane XD).
I'm a mouse player and I play 400 dpi with mouse acceleration on.

Keep in mind that, every player has a different improvement rate.
For me, I'm improve at a relatively slow rate.

PS: Tablet is NOT easy to use.
Kanye West

BeatofIke wrote:

I believe it took me around 2-3 months to pass my first insane (well an easy insane XD).
I'm a mouse player and I play 400 dpi with mouse acceleration on.

Keep in mind that, every player has a different improvement rate.
For me, I'm improve at a relatively slow rate.

PS: Tablet is NOT easy to use.
I too play 400 dpi with mouse acc on and also improve at a snail's rate. Hi5 bro!
Gon
Took me like 3-4 months upon purchase of my tablet just to reach my old mouse skill level. Being left handed sucks, particularly for this game zzz. i don't even know how to play with mouse anymore (1 year's worth of experience down the drain) \o/

As for topic, a few weeks iirc. pretty sure i wasn't screwing around with mods and was working on passing as many songs as possible on a daily basis back then.
Dustice
as long as i played with mouse i barely could do hard maps...
then when i got a tablet i could do insane instantly :<
i think it was around 6000 or 7000 plays when i got the tablet : )
bentyhunter
If i didn't have my tablet i would be mediocre as heck.
enik
Hey, I'm currently at 1.5k plays and can pass some insanes on B first try. I made a huge jump from hards to insanes (like in a few hours) after disabling windows acceleration and lowering my DPI to 800 from 1600. Thanks to everyone in this thread t/91591/start=75, yours advices helped me a lot. I play mouse only.
Mythras
Actually playing mainly to improve after getting a tablet had me able to SS and S insane maps in 2 months (i'm lazy as fuck though and not nearly as committed as all these kids playing), and buying the black widow keyboard has me able to stream really well after a few months (and even stream kinda fast, not that fast though).

I lose skill rapidly if i don't keep playing :(. It's really annoying.

key for success: Play with a tablet for 5 hours or so once you get it, instantly use a big area (look at like M A I D's profile to see for example) play easy maps whatever you gotta do to get used to it. Once you do just start doing insanes/hards, your skill will increase super rapidly.

Main thing I noticed when I got a tablet is that I was instantly really good at spinning (430-460+).

The effort required to play with a tablet is like 1/15th of a mouse. And I love using the mouse, i play all kinds of fps games, good aim good reactions etc, always a top player in whatever game but osu! is just perfect for a pen tablet.

TLDR: buy a tablet if you like this game and don't have the irrational tablet hating mentality because you can't afford one. orz
Aqo

Unkind wrote:

The effort required to play with a tablet is like 1/15th of a mouse.
Nonsense. Tablet causes wrist pain and mouse doesn't. With tablet you have to hold the pen steady over every circle while mouse just sits there once you're done with your jump. Mouse is way more laid back.
thelewa

Aqo wrote:

Unkind wrote:

The effort required to play with a tablet is like 1/15th of a mouse.
Nonsense. Tablet causes wrist pain and mouse doesn't. With tablet you have to hold the pen steady over every circle while mouse just sits there once you're done with your jump. Mouse is way more laid back.
The part about wrist pain is not true for most players, but the thing about actually needing effort to hold the pen steady over every circle is true. Actually stopping at a circle is really damn hard at first with tablets.
-Athena-
Oh my, my wrist wants a word with you Aqo.

Even playing with a keyboard for fun still tires my wrist, maybe I'm just a wimp with no stamina then.
winber1

thelewa wrote:

The part about wrist pain is not true for most players, but the thing about actually needing effort to hold the pen steady over every circle is true. Actually stopping at a circle is really damn hard at first with tablets.
But it's also a lot easier to adjust/aim. At least for me, if I use mouse, and if I overshoot/undershoot, I'm basically fked.

But then again, that was only helpful a long time ago, when I sucked at playing everything. Nowadays, I don't even look at my cursor since I don't really have time to, and my aim is pretty decent :x
those

winber1 wrote:

thelewa wrote:

But it's also a lot easier to adjust/aim. At least for me, if I use mouse, and if I overshoot/undershoot, I'm basically fked.

But then again, that was only helpful a long time ago, when I sucked at playing everything. Nowadays, I don't even look at my cursor since I don't really have time to, and my aim is pretty decent :x
Transparent cursor ftw
thelewa
I don't know man, I still don't know how to aim with a tablet

shit's impossible
Aqo

winber1 wrote:

if I overshoot/undershoot, I'm basically fked.
lower your dpi and you'll be less prone to overshooting/undershooting jumps. Also looking at your own cursor does help.
G0r
I think I typically look at what I am aiming at next, not my cursor. I don't think I see any advantage to doing it the other way. Shouldn't your muscles be worried about your cursor and your eyes worried about your target?
Aqo
Try playing circle size 6 without looking at your cursor good luck.
silmarilen
who cares about circle size 6? how many maps are there that have that?
Aqo

silmarilen wrote:

who cares about circle size 6? how many maps are there that have that?
every single small circle map with HR...
silmarilen
so.. about.. 0.01% of all maps?
winber1

Aqo wrote:

winber1 wrote:

if I overshoot/undershoot, I'm basically fked.
lower your dpi and you'll be less prone to overshooting/undershooting jumps. Also looking at your own cursor does help.
If you didn't read, this was about me using a mouse, not a tablet.

But I only look at my cursor for specific patterns that I know I always fail. So, yes it does help, but it becomes really unreasonable to do it through the map, at least on harder songs, and with like 220+ BPM

Aqo wrote:

Try playing circle size 6 without looking at your cursor good luck.
You don't need to look... I don't look when playing with small circles like that unless the map is really slow and the notes are decently close together. But most maps with that CS are usually not that hard.
Aqo

winber1 wrote:

If you didn't read, this was about me using a mouse, not a tablet.
"dpi" is mouse-only afaik. tablets use area. re-read?

meant for maps like this http://osu.ppy.sh/s/46196 for example
btw on this map http://osu.ppy.sh/s/44519 that you made, you don't have to trace your cursor sometimes? (or how about Jenny's diff... that jump in the middle haha)
expo
So I just do maps i cant handle on no fail and I'll eventually get better? :D
btw im stuck on normals
Kanye West

Gluegun wrote:

btw im stuck on normals
No. If you're "stuck" on normals, play easy Hards, then play hard Hards, then play easy Insanes, etc etc. At least that's what I did, and I eventually got to insanes (but took a long time as I was stuck on hards)
nomen

Kanye West wrote:

No. If you're "stuck" on normals, play easy Hards, then play hard Hards, then play easy Insanes, etc etc. At least that's what I did, and I eventually got to insanes (but took a long time as I was stuck on hards)
I did the same, step by step.
sCam

Gluegun wrote:

btw im stuck on normals
Best thing to do. If you really wanna imrpove fast. Just play, play till your hands hurts, fingers get blisters. Don't worry about score/grades/ranks...eventually after a week or two..You'll see the improvement.

Dosen't take long to start doing easy insanes, after a week or two of grinding hard maps. I jumped from Hards to Easy insanes within a week. I got bored of Hards pretty fast cause I never could S them, so instead I stopped playing hards, and started trying to pass insane maps, and after I can Full combo easy insanes with like 87% accuracy, I started fc'ing Hards with at least 97% accuracy, and boy did Hards become fun after that time. They were my favorite difficulties around that time. Now Since I started grinding pro insanes, I can now S the easy insanes with 98% ACC(though I took a week and grinded hard rock. Really helps with accuracy) That's a good shortcut right there. but if you're going to do that. Strap on No Fail.

Now I've reached the point when I'm always missing like 1-5 notes on most pro insanes, and I can't fc them in 3 tries yet. Some I can do after like hours of warmup, but some i just get random stupid misses, or lame slider breaks. but it took me 9 months to get where I am at.

Osu is a journey, just do what you can, but don't stick to that, you'll never get better. It's good to challenge yourself. Also, the only mod I suggest you to use right now is Hardrock, don't worry about mods till you get really good, or you'll just end up being another player who just abuses the Hidden mod. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that(play the game how you want as long as you have fun) but don't be a one trick pony, that's lame.

Anyway, tl;dr gl and have fun.
Wishy
I only look at hit circles, I never look at my cursor lol.

You have to assume you are doing the right movements if you don't do that you can't be good. Worrying too much about looking at your own cursor will make your map reading skills bad, it's all about muscle memory.
thelewa

Wishy22 wrote:

I only look at hit circles, I never look at my cursor lol.

You have to assume you are doing the right movements if you don't do that you can't be good. Worrying too much about looking at your own cursor will make your map reading skills bad, it's all about muscle memory.
This is another case of "I do it this way and my way is the right way so everyone do it exactly like me"
Wishy
If you focus on your cursor then you can't really focus on fast reading the map, meaning yeah you'll suck at some stuff, you will always somewhat look at your cursor, but you won't FOCUS on it, you will FOCUS on reading the map so you can actually do it. And if you don't do that, well then good luck trying to read AR 10/11 or complicated patterns on a first try.

Some methods are better than other ones, like it or not, you can look at how the best players play and you'll be surprised of how they do pretty much the same things on the same stuff. You can find a method that "suits you", but truth is playing with 1mm x 1mm area, focusing on your cursor w/o paying attention to each upcoming hit and using default skin will definitely limit your capacities.
Tanzklaue
wishy didn't understand it.
show more