forum

California earthquakes

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nate Bait
soooo California (and maybe other states/places nearby) may be in a pinch

we just had a ~7.0 earthquake here, larger than another one yesterday, which was a 6.4.

how's your summer going so far?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Boi that’s bad. Hope you guys stay well over there

Unproductive summer so far
johnmedina999
Hopefully the trend continues and we get a Magnitude 7.6 earthquake tomorrow, and this accursed state can sink into the Pacific Ocean.
abraker
What do you do when an earthquake strikes and a raised highway collapses under you?
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
You become one with the highway
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

What do you do when an earthquake strikes and a raised highway collapses under you?
Die
abraker
levesterz
Tetonic plate kun
Topic Starter
Nate Bait

johnmedina999 wrote:

Hopefully the trend continues and we get a Magnitude 7.6 earthquake tomorrow, and this accursed state can sink into the Pacific Ocean.

xD

abraker wrote:

hide in the newly formed cave and hope you survive
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Carmlillball
Damn.
abraker
johnmedina999

johnmedina999 wrote:

Hopefully the trend continues and we get a Magnitude 7.6 earthquake tomorrow
Actually, since the Richter scale is logarithmic, I don't think having a linear trend would work out like this. Does it?
Topic Starter
Nate Bait

johnmedina999 wrote:

johnmedina999 wrote:

Hopefully the trend continues and we get a Magnitude 7.6 earthquake tomorrow

Actually, since the Richter scale is logarithmic, I don't think having a linear trend would work out like this. Does it?

Not sure, the number seem a bit bunched together so it'd probably be slightly linear.

They also predicted that a ~6.0 earthquake/aftershock could hit after the one today. (which is probably equally as bad)
ColdTooth
I know this is off-topic and I should, and usually am, shitpost, but John, a 7.6 earthquake is atleast 25x stronger than a 6.9 earthquake. The jump from 6.4 to 6.9 is only roughly 8x stronger.

But this really makes me worried about everyone in California, because scientists are expecting atleast an 8% chance that the big one could occur within the next few days to a week. There's always that big earthquake that shakes California every 100ish years that's over 7.5 magnitude, or even over 8. And it's overdue, like it has been for many years. Some seismologists are predicting that this big one may even be bigger than the expected.

I worry for you guys in California, there's always aftershocks that comes after earthquakes, after big ones there are usually many aftershocks for years. Please be safe.
Topic Starter
Nate Bait

ColdTooth wrote:

a 7.6 earthquake is atleast 25x stronger than a 6.9 earthquake.

oof, I can't even imagine what an 8 would feel like here. In my situation, we live in southern California, specifically about 100 miles away from the system thats causing these quakes (roughly in central California). Our house is already quite shaking during the 7.1 yesterday, so a quake 25x larger than that would...well just not be pleasant. I can't imagine what its like closer to the system.

Hope everyone's okay so far whose been affected by the earthquakes :p

on a more lighter note,
apple
abraker
They say same about yellowstone . . .
ColdTooth

abraker wrote:

They say same about yellowstone . . .

I.. honestly don't know, that's probably much, much more deadly.
roshan117
johnmedina999

ColdTooth wrote:

John, a 7.6 earthquake is atleast 25x stronger than a 6.9 earthquake. The jump from 6.4 to 6.9 is only roughly 8x stronger.
Thanks for that, CT!
Serraionga
what's an earthquake
Aiseca

Serraionga wrote:

what's an earthquake

An event when the Earth is doing exercises.
Volcanic eruptions tho..... Happens when it is taking a dump.
Westonini

Serraionga wrote:

what's an earthquake

it's when you feel the room shake cuz someone is playing some dubstep with crazy amplified bass
ColdTooth

Westonini wrote:

Serraionga wrote:

what's an earthquake

it's when you feel the room shake cuz someone is playing some dubstep with crazy amplified bass

this is why i had a hard time mapping my medium difficulty in critical hit
pentaqola
aren't earthquakes when graveyards become an underground maracas party?
show more