forum

Guide osu! Linux

posted
Total Posts
54
Topic Starter
RoARene317
Since osu! is for Windows and Mac version, the linux version isn't available right now. But for me after a long journey in linux, finally I get the working osu! on linux.

1. Install Lutris (since they already provided the script and do it for you)
Ubuntu user (Ubuntu based OS):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lutris

Arch Linux (Arch Linux Based OS):
sudo pamac -S lutris

For other distro can refer to this guide : https://lutris.net/downloads/

2. search osu! and click search lutris.net

3. Click install and go to the Windows Version

4. Just wait this will install:
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
GDI Plus (For Graphical Fixes)
CJK Font
Wine Staging Version
If you get a lot of fixme:error blah blah blah , it's normal as long you don't get fatal error. This process takes along time about 30 minutes so be patient.

5. osu! Installed


Low latency osu! (Thanks PooN)
1. Download the custom audio driver (Download the both)
https://blog.thepoon.fr/assets/articles/2018-06-16-osuLinuxAudioLatency/32bit/winepulse.drv.so (32bit)
https://blog.thepoon.fr/assets/articles/2018-06-16-osuLinuxAudioLatency/64bit/winepulse.drv.so (64bit)

2. Type on terminal :
[file browser apps] /home/[username]/.local/share/lutris/wine/tkg-osu-4.6-x86_64
Replace file browser apps with your own depending on your operating system: Arch = Dolphin Ubuntu = Nautilus

Replace username with your own username


3. Paste the file 32 bit to the lib folder and the 64 bit to the lib64 folder

4. Type on terminal : sudo nano /etc/security/limits.conf

edit and paste this command

echo "@[username] - nice -20
@[username] - rtprio 99" >> /etc/security/limits.conf

Repalce username with your own username

5. Save by Ctrl+X
6. Copy paste this command to terminal
mkdir -p /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.d/
echo "high-priority = yes
nice-level = -15

realtime-scheduling = yes
realtime-priority = 50

resample-method = speex-float-0

default-fragments = 2 # Minimum is 2
default-fragment-size-msec = 2 # You can set this to 1, but that will break OBS audio capture." | sudo tee -a /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.d/10-better-latency.conf

7. Type sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa
Find the line that include this command:
load-module module-udev-detect

add tsched=1

save it

8. Back To Lutris and configure osu --> Game Options --> change arguments to STAGING_AUDIO_DURATION=10000


Troubleshoot
1. Stuck at looping on installation

It takes a lot of time depending on your CPU, HDD.

2. osu! takes a long time / not boot

Check the task manager if the cpu usage osu.exe higher than 50% it means program is preparing because there is the big change in your osu folder

3. Where is my osu folder
Default /home/[username]/Games/osu

4. Cross on installation = Image cross

install libpng by apt-get install libpng // pacman -S libpng

5. If problem persist kill wine-server
and osu!.exe

That's it :)
fr00
I love linux:D
hikidiggy
how do i add beatmaps then (lutris)
JSE

hikidiggy wrote:

how do i add beatmaps then (lutris)
Download them like normal and drag them into the game, or buy supporter and use osu!direct.
wuuT
I'm not sure, but looks like that building yourself with osu!lazer doesn't require this anymore. I did install it on my Fedora and it's working fine.

Not sure if we have a post for it, but I can manage to do one if needed.
CroVox
Sorry for the necro but I'm having a problem where I can't sign in. It just loops on "pending verification" and I'm not sure what to do. Any help? I don't know where else to go
codingBaguette

wuuT wrote:

I'm not sure, but looks like that building yourself with osu!lazer doesn't require this anymore. I did install it on my Fedora and it's working fine.

Not sure if we have a post for it, but I can manage to do one if needed.
Nice, and hey I'm using Fedora as well, best os.
vaibhav13
there is no directory as such wine insde .local/share/lutris/ . please revert. Im using zorin os.
PinkPowder

vaibhav13 wrote:

there is no directory as such wine insde .local/share/lutris/ . please revert. Im using zorin os.
@vaibhav13

path changed a bit
new -----/runners/----- folder
path:

/home/[username]/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/tkg-osu-4.6-x86_64/


you can open it without terminal in your file browser app,
or just try to search in:

/home/leaf/.local/share/lutris
PS
good luckkk
ArjixGamer
nice, ill test it later with zorin os
edit: it works fine except the fact that jpg images dont work. I had to convert the mall to png
ziach1
It runs smooth using lutris, but I have problem that the osu shows up japanese character as blank boxes. Trying install some fonts that support japanese but still.
zanem0ne
Also for people getting audio jitter, it's recommended to set "default-fragments" variable to 3 or higher (test after every change).

Yeah, it will increase a latency, but not much (well, afaik at least).
creeperskin1
Am i the only having problems with Japanese text
marshallracer
tbh, I've seen quite a few people have problems after they followed poons guide
Not saying that it's bad or anything, it's just overly complicated for what it's achieving so I'd rather recommend following the stickied guide (even if it's a bit more hands on) and there's a fix for japanese fonts inside (more or less)

edit: I looked through the install script, it's actually mostly just following the stickied guide, though it uses a wine version I don't really know, dunno what I should think about older wine versions

also, idk if it's just me but current wine-staging (5.10) made starting osu impossible for me so I 'reverted' to normal wine (5.10) and it works exactly as it did before .. must've been a staging patch that broke something for osu
Qylwok

marshallracer wrote:

also, idk if it's just me but current wine-staging (5.10) made starting osu impossible for me so I 'reverted' to normal wine (5.10) and it works exactly as it did before .. must've been a staging patch that broke something for osu
I have the same issue as you had : osu! is not starting through Lutris, probably because of Wine-staging.
How did you 'reverted' wine back from staging to normal ? I'm a noob



Edit: Here is what is prompted on the logs when launching osu! :

Running /home/qylwok/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/tkg-osu-4.6-x86_64/bin/wine /home/qylwok/Games/osu/drive_c/osu/osu!.exe
Initial process has started with pid 10465
Game is considered started.
double free or corruption (!prev)
marshallracer
It was just a matter of going "pacman -Syu wine" where Arch first removes the installed package it conflicts with (in this case wine-staging). Depending on the distro you use your package manager may automatically do this for you when you prompt it to install a package which may replace another one.
I think the issue you have is not wine though, at least not the version your're using as this script is not using the normal or staging versions of wine from the repositories but rather a customized version tailored to osu specifically

I'd recommend using "Kill all wine processes" though Lutris and try to run it again. Can't definitely say it will help (especially if it's already failing to start osu the first time after a reboot) but that's always the first thing I'd go for
"double free or corruption (!prev)" is not really something I've ever encountered before, dunno if it has something to do with osu or Lutris itself
Qylwok

marshallracer wrote:

It was just a matter of going "pacman -Syu wine" where Arch first removes the installed package it conflicts with (in this case wine-staging). Depending on the distro you use your package manager may automatically do this for you when you prompt it to install a package which may replace another one.
I think the issue you have is not wine though, at least not the version your're using as this script is not using the normal or staging versions of wine from the repositories but rather a customized version tailored to osu specifically

I'd recommend using "Kill all wine processes" though Lutris and try to run it again. Can't definitely say it will help (especially if it's already failing to start osu the first time after a reboot) but that's always the first thing I'd go for
"double free or corruption (!prev)" is not really something I've ever encountered before, dunno if it has something to do with osu or Lutris itself
As I'm on Linux Cinnamon 19, I tried "sudo apt upgrade wine-stable" : it took a while, but it did not fix the bug. Killing all the wine processes also did not change anything, and I still have the same error of "double free or corruption (!prev)".
Note that the first time that I tried to run osu!, it launched the updator, and then closed and never opened again.
I'll try some stuff on my own, and I'll let you know if I find the issue and how to fix it, but feel free to help me.
marshallracer
yeah, as I assumed it doesn't really have to do much with your "global" wine version but then again, I have no idea what that error message could even refer to
If you get it running somehow or someone can jump in and have any idea about that error message that could very likely contribute to this thread
Qylwok
Ok, I managed to launch osu! on Linux Mint 19, with a different tutorial : community/forums/topics/591838 this link worked for me, even though the first command (wine ppa) didnt work.

I still have some audio bugs and some framerate issues but that's a good first step
Topic Starter
RoARene317
For audio bugs maybe you should replace Audio Wine Driver with the PooN custom driver.
Ace Pilot
How do you make your huion tablet work? Mine is the Huion H420 and I've been trying a lot of the solutions I've been seeing in the arch forums but none of them seem to work
xdosmanxd

CroVox wrote:

Sorry for the necro but I'm having a problem where I can't sign in. It just loops on "pending verification" and I'm not sure what to do. Any help? I don't know where else to go
You need to verify from your email
Syorito Hatsuki
Maybe simplify use

Arch Linux (Arch Linux Based OS):
pacaur -S osu

:D ?
Winnyace
used that AUR once and I changed the location of the install from the osu! installer. it broke the package, so watch out for that.
RandomVee
Thank you for this!
Successfully running on Pop!_os, really helpful!
heart_is_purple
Hi! I experience kind of input lag. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but really uncomfortable. Doesn't matter what fps limiter I use, it doesn't go away. I play from a laptop with intel & nvidia GPUs, so maybe they both render game and cause this lag (I saw it when running on windows).
How did you guys setup your tablets/game and what the experience is like? Is it perfect?
Yui-Kurata
I cant seem to login, just stays on "pending verification"
Layerex

heart_is_purple wrote:

Hi! I experience kind of input lag. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but really uncomfortable. Doesn't matter what fps limiter I use, it doesn't go away. I play from a laptop with intel & nvidia GPUs, so maybe they both render game and cause this lag (I saw it when running on windows).
How did you guys setup your tablets/game and what the experience is like? Is it perfect?
Linux is generally bad at handling both intergrated and discrete GPUs(especially with nvidia, because drivers are propietary crap), so welcome to hell. I have such laptop too, and when I just installed linux I spent a lot of time on figuring it out. Basically you have 3 options:

How to setup GPU drivers on optimus(Intel+Nvidia) laptop:

1) Use only Nvidia and disable Intel GPU. It is probably the easiest to set up. Some distros like Ubuntu and Manjaro(?) even offer a GUI to do that. If you use none of those refer to instructions in arch wiki(will work on all distros, not only arch) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus#Use_NVIDIA_graphics_only.

2) Use both Intel and Nvidia GPUs on the same X server (Bitlbee). It probably won't even work, because bitlbee(and bbswitch it uses for power management) are(sadly) abadoned and don't work with newer motherboards. If your laptop was manufactured after 2016 don't even try. If you still want to here is the guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee.

3) Use both Intel and Nvidia GPUs on separate X servers (nvidia-xrun). Probably the best solution for modern optimus laptops. Guide is for fedora, but will work for every distro, only installation from repositories differ: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ekultails/nvidia-xrun/. For usage instructions take a look at its github: https://github.com/Witko/nvidia-xrun

Obviously before trying any of those solutions you need to install propietary nvidia drivers, google it for your distro. If you don't understand something feel free to ask.


Have never had a tablet, but most of players say it is fine, unless you use some no-name chinese tablet. Tablets usually work out of the box, you only need to change area.
Wacom: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wacom_tablet and https://linuxwacom.github.io/
XP-Pen: https://blog.thepoon.fr/XPPenLinux/
Huion(may also work for some no-name tablets, may not work on some Huion models): community/forums/topics/367783


Game does not need additional setup after installing drivers, it works just fine. To fix editor menus not being shown launch the game on wine virtual desktop. If audio feels distorted enable/disable legacy audio engine; if mouse does not work properly disable raw input, you don't really need it on linux.
Iodine

Ace Pilot wrote:

How do you make your huion tablet work? Mine is the Huion H420 and I've been trying a lot of the solutions I've been seeing in the arch forums but none of them seem to work
Made a post. Not sure how useful this will be to you though. community/forums/topics/1122479
amin girl
For some reason this method caps my fps at 144 (my monitor's refresh rate). Toggling fullscreen mode or hitting f7 cycle the fps limiter fixes it until I restart the game.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

edit: disable compositing when osu is open
AlphaS
Do not turn on CompatibilityContext or Compatibility mode in osu! settings. DO NOT!!!
Do not turn on Shaders (white screen on transitions) or Softening filter (WHITE FUCKING SCREEN EVERYWHERE). DO NOT!!!

DO
NOT
!!!

Turn on Audio Compatibility for ultra minimum latency! ^-^

If you "install" osu - WAIT. Then click 1000 times on "Stop" button. Have a good time playing this game.
marshallracer

AlphaS wrote:

Do not turn on CompatibilityContext or Compatibility mode in osu! settings. DO NOT!!!
Do not turn on Shaders (white screen on transitions) or Softening filter (WHITE FUCKING SCREEN EVERYWHERE). DO NOT!!!
yeah, compatibility mode crippled my fps in Wine 5.14 which is when I noticed that without it the game already runs extremely smooth
before then (or rather before 5.7) there was no difference when having compat mode enabled or disabled or at least I never noticed any
1chucklehead
I ended up getting opsu instead of osu. I can't log into my account.
show more
Please sign in to reply.

New reply