forum

Earl Sweatshirt - Loosie

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Demeisen
This beatmap was submitted using in-game submission on Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 11:11:40 AM

Artist: Earl Sweatshirt
Title: Loosie
Tags: Thebe Neruda Kgositsile Sly Tendencies Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All OFWGKTA Some Rap Songs
BPM: 128
Filesize: 2851kb
Play Time: 00:59
Difficulties Available:
  1. Tongue-tip Soliloquy (4 stars, 179 notes)
Download: Earl Sweatshirt - Loosie
Information: Scores/Beatmap Listing
---------------
Timing this kind of music is really hard, so that's probably why it's underrepresented in osu. The track itself is a loop with a lot of different elements that are just like off. For example, the snare mid loop is about 1/8th early, the detuned piano wasn't quantized to the BPM, etc. In addition to that, Earl's vocals are all over the place, since he uses variation in timing and delivery as emphasis.

So what do you map? Mapping the same short instrumental loop over and over gets repetitive FAST. There has to be some interaction with vocals, but again, vocals are anywhere but the snaps; and the track isn't snapped half the time either. Weaving between the two is ideal, but bridging them is impossible. At least that's what I thought initially when I first timed this in November - I've been mulling this over for almost 8 months.

After mapping my Sana diff for Twice's Turn it Up I had an idea to just go full alt with this in a similar style, and bridge the timing inconsistencies with sliders. I lowered AR, and tried to use patterns that make reading the differences focal. I think it works. I can SS it now, as opposed to the 70% passes I was barely getting with other implementations.

This is also a pretty good example of another type of song that doesn't stratify well. You can't make an easy/normal/hard to the RC because there are so many irregularities. You could make a really sterile undermapped set, snapping over all the quirks that make this song interesting, but that's not only unfun to map, but also an unjust representation of the song imo.

Anyways, something like this was on my mapping bucket list for a while. I love Earl, but I'll probably never try to map this kind of music again. I chose Loosie because of it's short length, but even then it was painstakingly slow getting the map to a playable state. Labor of love, I guess, and some masochism.