forum

Are "Gateron Clear" switches fine for a diy keyboard?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-FR
So does anyone have experience with Gateron Clear's and can you recommend them?
I just use Razer Green's atm and I don't come along with those any longer. It kinda feels that their weight is just limiting me, even though I liked the switches before.
Do you have any other recommendations for switches I could just try out for my diy keyboard?
Just looking forward for some good stuff :P
Nikolai
Gateron clears are aight linear switches, I personally use vintage blacks with sprit 78g springs but it's all about preference. 8-)

Also can I ask what keyboard you planning to build? :D
Topic Starter
-FR
I planned nothing at all atm I just want to wait until I decided which switches I want to use. All I know is now that I'll use a 60% board. May a GK61.. or was it GH60. Already forgot that. But I have time. Just collecting information rn.
cristian-
from what ive seen if you do end up getting the gateron clears you will end up trading finger control for speed and stamina it might be a good perk but still kb control is really important
Flanster
I imagine picking switches like cars in Need For Speed - look at the power bars and pick which stats best suit your taste.
Topic Starter
-FR
Well ive built it now with gateron clears. i must say its easier to tap on speed and stamina, but havent noticed that im having trouble with less finger control. The only thing whats kinda strange to me is the ANSI layout bcs im used to ISO.
cristian-
Have you tried Cherry MX reds? if so how similar are they? I'm also building a custom keyboard and ended up getting both switches but the clear ones get here in a week ive only ever used Cherry MX blacks, blues and reds so i don't know how different they might end up feeling
Topic Starter
-FR
I only touched Reds once and i don't remember how they felt exactly but I would say that Reds and Clears both dont make much of a difference, because they are both pretty lightweight. I'd kinda say go for the Clears because they are not as common as Reds but in the end its preference.
I actually ended up getting like 10 blacks too for some buttons I dont wanna press by accident.
cristian-
Well after using the clears for 2 days i can certainly notice a big difference from reds, so im pretty sure i ended up losing keyboard control ive been miss clicking some keys alot too they're really good for stamina and speed but i have to get used to the super light clicking, it basically fucked over my 180 - 200 bpm streams so i have to relearn them, other than that they feel really good
7ambda
in the future, we will tap on air switches, and anything over >0g will feel too heavy
Mamako
Gateron clears (well basically every gateron switch) are noticeably smoother than cherrys linear lineup where they feel really scratchy (really easy to notice on silvers) I lube all my linear cherry switches which makes it even smoother than non lubed gateron or kaihl linear switches.
Topic Starter
-FR
Well I've decided to get a keyboard with mx reds now, i loved how light the gateron clears felt but finger control was way more difficult with them. Even with 4 months of usage.
zank
did you try red switches now? do you prefer them over clears? Thanks
Topic Starter
-FR
yes i do prefer them over clears but id still like to have some heavier switches