forum

Need Help from Mouse Players

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Aqo
Until now I've been playing with 800dpi, but recently decided to try lower DPIs. Played around with 400dpi, only took like one hour to get used to it and now 800 feels stupidly inaccurate... with 400 even hitting circle size 6 (you know, the one that's smaller than smaller than CS4) is pretty laid-back because even if your hand is very shaky it's practically impossible to whiff the circle once you moved to it, which is cool.

But this created a new problem. Over time while playing, the right hand slowly goes off the center of the mousepad, until eventually it's impossible to do cursor movement correctly because the mouse is just falling off from the mousepad or whatever. So unless there's a break at least 1/1+nojump long (or like a long slider with low SV) it's hard to find time to fix the RL mouse position.

So - what do you do in this situation? How do you avoid having the right hand sidetrack off the optimal position over playing or how do you fix this quickly? What methods have worked best for you?

It feels like 400dpi is way more accurate jump-wise than playing with tablet and I'd love to swap it to my main style (<3 jumps) but this offcenter problem is basically what's keeping me from being able to utilize this style effectively.
lolcubes
Pray that there is a break incoming. Happens to me sometimes on 800dpi, and makes things awkward. Sometimes, on sliders that aren't that fast I reposition my hand by holding the slider with the right click and moving carefully so I don't exit the sliderball area.
Topic Starter
Aqo
Well that's what I already do... hope for breaks and rely on sliders. But this just doesn't always work... for example lets say I'm playing this map. I'm basically fucked until the break
silmarilen
i can reposition my mouse in the middle of a song, try to learn that :P
if there is a jump you are sure you can make you can move your mouse a litle and then still hit the note, if you do that a couple of times in a row you can move your mouse anywhere
Topic Starter
Aqo
A 1/1 timing section is pretty much already in the middle of the song ;owo; You can reposition your hand perfectly on 1/2s? really?
silmarilen
not perfectly, but i can do it with a bit of luck, also depends on the bpm ofcourse and the distance between notes
Jordan

lolcubes wrote:

Pray that there is a break incoming. Happens to me sometimes on 800dpi, and makes things awkward. Sometimes, on sliders that aren't that fast I reposition my hand by holding the slider with the right click and moving carefully so I don't exit the sliderball area.
Same here.

EDIT: forgot to say I'm 800 dpi too, can't change because cheap mouse lol
G0r
I sort of have this issue, but I use 800 DPI. While I play somehow my mouse moves around. I suspect that it is caused by spinners and fast spinning type motions. I think that mice just don't read these movements well, and so they end up being susceptible to sliding off course as your hand pulls one way or another. I think that over time you will get more used to how to position and move so as to not create as much sidewise movement. However, you might consider investing in a larger mouse pad. I use one that takes up most of the right side of my desk, since I want the ability to move my hand all over the place without being stopped by anything. Getting used to more free area to move in can also be a big help, since it gives you a bit more freedom to control the mouse. I imagine that this would be important with 400 DPI.
Anzo
I usually click the middle button, or pause, during spinners.
kriers
I'm playing with this problem and I simply learned how to play even when my arm is in an awkward position xD
M i l o t i c

Anzo-nii wrote:

I usually click the middle button, or pause, during spinners.
same
G0r

kriers wrote:

I'm playing with this problem and I simply learned how to play even when my arm is in an awkward position xD
This. XD
Topic Starter
Aqo

kriers wrote:

This is the answer I feared the most.
CXu

kriers wrote:

kriers 1 - 0 mouse

Too pro.
Mesita

kriers wrote:

this, and maybe:
1.- get a better mouse
2.- get a larger mousepad
3.- learn to lift a bit ur mouse so u can travel large areas without moving ur arm too much.
darkmiz

Mesita wrote:

kriers wrote:

this, and maybe:
1.- get a better mouse
3.- learn to lift a bit ur mouse so u can travel large areas without moving ur arm too much.
4.- buy a tablet, play like cookiezi
BlazingFX
I dont even use a mouse pad. l0l
BeatofIke
I use printing paper as a mouse pad cuz I'm cheap XD!
Frizz

darkmiz wrote:

Mesita wrote:

this, and maybe:
1.- get a better mouse
4.- buy a tablet, play like cookiezi
This is a thread about mouse not tablet, go away
billy96
Have you tried Claw grip? You can move your mouse in a great distance without having to move your hand too much.
D33d
Play maps which don't suck and you'll never have to worry about mouse drift. Breaks are encouraged for a reason. Try raising it to 500dpi or find a way to have more space for your mouse. 500DPI lets me traverse a 1920*1200 display with about 3.5"*2.5", so there should be easily enough room with osu!'s default settings in order to compensate for maps with poor design.

Also, grip won't make a difference. The mouse still has to move the same distance and a claw grip is only likely to create more tension. This isn't a good thing.
RaneFire
Best thing to do is just play normally without doing any funny things with your initial cursor/mouse position and hope the brain adjusts over time, it does to a certain degree, but the rate obviously differs between people.

Automaticity of your movements is very important in this regard as well, learning to play until boredom. But the boredom I'm talking about is a chemical state in your brain that doesn't require you to push yourself. It's a bit of a paradox though, since you need to push yourself to learn, but by doing this your automaticity cannot be perfect.

Basically there's no way around it.

kriers wrote:

Topic Starter
Aqo

D33d wrote:

Play maps which don't suck and you'll never have to worry about mouse drift. Breaks are encouraged for a reason.
I have to say though, I really really hate breaks. They're the one thing I never want to see in maps. I'm ok with breaks that are up to 2 seconds, or breaks in parts where the song literally goes quiet and there's no audio at all, but any other style of break just makes me cringe /I could be playing right now but I'm not. ffff lazy mappers/
(so I want to learn to stay steady without relying on breaks)
G0r
I don't know how you can move your mouse quickly with a claw grip. It gives you so little actual... grip. I guess it's possible, though. I used it for a while, and I got along, but I was really noob back then.
Mesita
claw grip + mouse lift + wrist movement = win. You can move A LOT in a very short physical space.
D33d

Aqo wrote:

D33d wrote:

Play maps which don't suck and you'll never have to worry about mouse drift. Breaks are encouraged for a reason.
I have to say though, I really really hate breaks. They're the one thing I never want to see in maps. I'm ok with breaks that are up to 2 seconds, or breaks in parts where the song literally goes quiet and there's no audio at all, but any other style of break just makes me cringe /I could be playing right now but I'm not. ffff lazy mappers/
(so I want to learn to stay steady without relying on breaks)
Increase your DPI. Unless you get over your irrational hatred of breaks, then you're not going to have an easier time at such a low setting. Breaks are there so that whatever's after them is emphasised more and so that the player can reposition their hand.

Other than that, try to hold your mouse comfortably, while being able to lift and move it quickly. You shouldn't need to lift it often, unless you've been playing the likes of 'Freestyler' without having the mouse positioned just right.

Either way, 500DPI hasn't given me too many problems and I've generally been able to deal with them pretty well. Keep playing with settings until you don't feel restricted.
Topic Starter
Aqo
Mesita's suggestion of Claw Grip + lots of mouse lifting is actually working very well for me right now. Thank you! Until now I just tried to avoid mouse lifting but once you get used to this it has a certain power of control in it.
Winshley
I'm curious whether you have Mouse Cursor Precision turned on at Windows Control Panel.

I have similar problem and it apparently caused by that setting. Turning it off solves my problem. Be prepared with the cursor speed change tho.
show more