forum

osu! Std players: What makes you held back from using FL mod?

posted
Total Posts

What makes you held back from using Flashlight mod?

Not good at memorizing
35.00%
Getting nervous at higher combo (where the visible area gets smaller)
31.92%
Waste of time
26.92%
Others... (please post)
6.15%
Total votes: 260
show more
Topic Starter
Winshley

Aqo wrote:

Winshley your dedication is something on the level of a top pro, but you're shooting yourself in the foot by spending all of this time on low-diffs. If you spent little time on playing harder diffs without caring about score and then once you got confident with them you started aiming for SS+FL on Insanes instead of Normals you'd be able to get into top pro level much faster.
I understand that. I do want to play Insane maps, I just need an ample amount of free time (which is holiday) to play such maps... ;<
sCam
I'm not good at this game yet. When I get good, I'll start messing around with mods.
nomen

sCam wrote:

I'm not good at this game yet. When I get good, I'll start messing around with mods.
You will improve faster if you use mods such as HR or DT.
Thatgooey
Everyone has their own fun aspect of the game that makes it appealing. I am not a memorization player. I like playing high AR maps and fast maps. Pushing visual and physical speed boundaries is just funner to me than pushing memory boundaries. I don't care if that makes me a good or bad player, that's just what I enjoy doing. There is nothing wrong at all with flashlight mod, and there are plenty of players who's main enjoyment comes from memorizing maps. FL mod seems way more common in the easy/normal/hard difficulty range, but I do not prefer those maps, personally. There are only a handful of true flashlight players, meaning ones that will do the highest difficulty maps (Mesita and BenJip come to mind, but I know there are others!). Nothing against people who like doing the easy/normal maps, but flashlight mod is much simpler on those maps. The patterns are very similar in most every song, with notes falling only on up and down beats. There are also only a couple hundred notes per map to learn. Doing flashlight mod on insane difficulty maps takes a LOT of work, and most players only want to put a handful of tries into a lot of maps. Watching Mesita put in hundreds of plays into just one map to get a hidden/FL results in an epic end product. Flashlight on maps like Gold Dust and Masterpiece is impressive as hell. But the majority of people don't have the patience to sit down and pick one or two really hard maps per week to sit down and try and get a full clear with hd/FL. Again, I am speaking on behalf of insane difficulties and not normal/easy/hard maps.
sCam

nomen wrote:

sCam wrote:

You will improve faster if you use mods such as HR or DT.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm in no rush to improve. I plan on spending the rest of my life on Osu.

I also agree with thatgooey. I love Mesita replays, specially on Rapid Ensemble. Also loved how he still remembered the map after months to take back his #1 from Micia.
nomen

sCam wrote:

I plan on spending the rest of my life on Osu.
I giggled.
Anyway ontopic: I have no fun playing map over and over to memorize it.
Ruidoso
I have achluophobia lol
Mythras
Because by the time i finish a map on flashlight i feel like throwing myself off a fucking building. I got a top rank with flashlight, guy stole it and id rather drag my nuts across a cactus than take it back. Not too fond of hidden either lol. I dunno how so many people have the patience to deal with that shit.
Aqo

Unkind wrote:

Not too fond of hidden either lol. I dunno how so many people have the patience to deal with that shit.
But hidden is actually readable on reaction :d you just need to get used to remember the upcoming relative timings on notes based on the times they appear and to read combo numbers fast for slider starts and for stacks. Hidden is very very fun <3
nomen

Aqo wrote:

Unkind wrote:

Not too fond of hidden either lol. I dunno how so many people have the patience to deal with that shit.
But hidden is actually readable on reaction :d you just need to get used to remember the upcoming relative timings on notes based on the times they appear and to read combo numbers fast for slider starts and for stacks. Hidden is very very fun <3
Yeah, hidden isn't that hard at all, and it's fun. Only thing you have to do is memorize some circles which are under sliders and even tho you can read them in many cases.
Aqo

nomen wrote:

Yeah, hidden isn't that hard at all, and it's fun. Only thing you have to do is memorize some circles which are under sliders and even tho you can read them in many cases.
You never need to memorize anything just read the combo numbers
MillhioreF

Aqo wrote:

try playing http://osu.ppy.sh/b/627 with hidden before saying that xD
Sup A Noob
Memorizing is a bitch and I don't like bitches.
nomen

Aqo wrote:

True. But it won't work always.
lolcubes

Aqo wrote:

nomen wrote:

Until you come across maps like Netoge Sprechchor. ;)
Lybydose
Play this with Hidden.

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/56910

You must use the default skin (or at least use default hitbursts).
Tom69_old

lolcubes wrote:

Until you come across maps like Netoge Sprechchor. ;)
Sprechchor is readable with HD... D:
(just use a Skin like my one. Screw transparency, let's make holes into the circles.)
XPJ38
Boring. That's all.
G0r
I can read Sprechchor on HD up to a certain point, but that's because I played it a lot. I imagine I could HD it if I played it more.
lolcubes

G0r wrote:

I can read Sprechchor on HD up to a certain point, but that's because I played it a lot. I imagine I could HD it if I played it more.
The point was that you don't need to memorize anything with hidden, which this map clearly makes you think otherwise.
ziin

lolcubes wrote:

The point was that you don't need to memorize anything with hidden, which this map clearly makes you think otherwise.
I think I'm just misinterpreting your statement. Most maps are designed so that it is impossible to sightread hidden with default combobursts. Thus most maps you have to memorize certain parts.

flashlight is different since you have to memorize much more than hidden.
G0r
I don't know that anybody just sees everything on a map. We use a combination of learned responses to rhythm types, mapping styles, common organizations, and intuition to read maps. Even when you read a book you're not seeing every letter. You've become accustomed to certain patterns that you rely on to speed your progress. This is why I think it's hard to easily define where straight memorization starts and straight reading ends. There's some element of trial and error always involved, even if you aced the map on the first try. It's an accumulation of small memorizations of map elements.
JMC
only use FL in easy & normal only, bcause my memory size still 512MB..... :P
and getting nervous after 220 combo

but why certain player can FL+HD this map?? OMGOMGOMG
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/28107
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/28240
lolcubes

ziin wrote:

lolcubes wrote:

I think I'm just misinterpreting your statement. Most maps are designed so that it is impossible to sightread hidden with default combobursts. Thus most maps you have to memorize certain parts.

flashlight is different since you have to memorize much more than hidden.
True, however some maps aren't really sightreadable even with really minimalistic skins without hitbursts and semi transparent circles. Talking about hidden here, which someone already mentioned and is going offtopic a bit.
:P
eldnl

JMC wrote:

only use FL in easy & normal only, bcause my memory size still 512MB..... :P
and getting nervous after 220 combo

but why certain player can FL+HD this map?? OMGOMGOMG
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/28107
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/28240
Mythras
i dunno how you guys claim to be able to sightread stuff when the maps aren't consistent in their approach (with hidden). There is a certain amount of memorization with hidden on almost every map. If it were fun and easy as some of you claim id be doing it to rank instead of getting rank 70 or whatever with DT only (hard not insane orz).

Some people are VASTLY superior at memorization. I have seen brand new players FL stuff faster than me by hours (to the point where I get pissed and do it on DT anyways to avoid having a stroke). I'm fucking terrible at FL and HD. IMO some people are way better at memory some people are way better at reaction/twitch/speed whatever. And they have to train the hell out of the other one to be decent at it.
Aqo
Aren't people who FL "fast" just players who check pending and try out maps before they actually get ranked?
Sup A Noob

Unkind wrote:

i dunno how you guys claim to be able to sightread stuff when the maps aren't consistent in their approach (with hidden).
You clearly haven't played enough Hidden. Find any reasonably good Hidden player and get him to play a map he hasn't played before and he'll show you what sightreading Hidden is.

As most Hidden players are, their skin has hit indicators are usually semi-transparent if not invisible.