forum

Wanting to bulid a tablet/montior hybrid for osu! and drawin

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ztrot
I've been thinking about this for sometime and never really had the drive to do it, so I've looked into lots of touch screen monitors lat places like
http://www.planartouch.com. But most of those seem to be for presentations or office work I'm looking for something that has the set up of a ipad.
Capacitive would be my 1st choice, I can always get a capacitive pen for the drawing multi-touch is a must as well. I'm all for making one myself but as I have looked around I'm not sure what it is I'm looking for I know I want a screen that has a low reaction time so the input is handled well.
My question is would I be better off buying something like the Wacom Cintiq x12 or buliding a screen from the ground up?

is something like this ideal for osu?
Scanning Speed: 30 scans per second
Minimum Touch Object: >8mm
Response Time: <16ms
Accuracy: (+/-)2mm
thelewa
You should just ask peppy directly, I mean he's got experience in touch screens from his arcade building hijinks
mm201

ztrot wrote:

Scanning Speed: 30 scans per second
Response Time: <16ms
Someone isn't any good at math.
If the poll rate is 30hz, the worst case response latency is at least 33ms.

Since they're clearly embellishing their specs, I'd avoid them at all costs. Ask peppy what he uses. It's an optical touch.
IppE
From my experience cintiqs have a pretty obvious input lag, though I only messed around with one at digi expo last year. But it was still noticeably laggier than for example an iPad.
Topic Starter
ztrot
I see I've also considered getting a windows 7 tablet as well something like this would be able to handle my paint tool sai and osu ThinkPad X61 Tablet PC Intel Core 2 Duo 1.60GHz Intel GMA X3100 graphics, Intel 965 Express Chipset
IppE

ztrot wrote:

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.60GHz Intel GMA X3100 graphics
Nooope. Get something that has Ivy Bridge (Core i3, i5 and i7 CPU's with 3xxx on the model number). Or AMD Fusion (A6, A8), they'll run osu! nicely as well.
Topic Starter
ztrot
Any suggestions on something like that I have a budget of like 400-600
Nessuka

ztrot wrote:

I see I've also considered getting a windows 7 tablet as well something like this would be able to handle my paint tool sai and osu ThinkPad X61 Tablet PC Intel Core 2 Duo 1.60GHz Intel GMA X3100 graphics, Intel 965 Express Chipset
On windows 7 with that spec, it will stutter badly, but on a lesser OS like XP, it will do most fine.

However, slate PCs and tablets of any higher specs quickly surpass your $400~600 budget and will be more in the range of $800+.

Any with the specs even close to what IppE suggested will cost you upwards of $1,500 generally if you can even find one, as tablet PCs are still fairly new to the market.
Topic Starter
ztrot
I see thinks for some kinda input I might grab that tablet and see what happens, as I've checked on paint tool sai it would run just have to mind my dpi and rez of my canvas. and I don't know how easy it would be to downgrade the OS
dkun
why are you listening to these people justin
dear god

that tablet pc you noted the other day will run w7 fine, and whatever else you need
if it doesn't, i'll mail you an XP install DVD personally

just go get it, eod man
thelewa
Yeah listening to dkun is probably a smart thing right now (actually, it always is)

IppE is just silly.
Lybydose
wait several months

buy win8 tablet (the one with the full OS/x86 intel, not the metro only/ARM thing)
RBRat3
Well for the adventurer in you....
You can grab a wacom pull the board and place it behind an lcd panel with its ground plane/reinforcement removed from it and have the pen work through it, ( Accuracy may or may not be affected ).

Might wanna use an led lit backlight, ccfl inverters may disrupt it and the lcd will need reinforcement over top of it to be drawn. You may lose some active distance with reinforcement but depending on the tablet line you can gain a bit from a calibration pot in the pen but I doubt you'll have any play room left with it.

If I were to piss money doing this project (Which I did in the past small scale with a PSone screen and a graphire 4) Id probably use a zotac ad10 to run it pc wise.

The smart thing to do would be to purchase something readily available and working XD.... Have Fun!!!!
WASSHOI

Lybydose wrote:

wait several months

buy win8 tablet (the one with the full OS/x86 intel, not the metro only/ARM thing)
This, it'd probably be the best and cheapest way to go about making a touch-screen osu!.
Topic Starter
ztrot
http://youtu.be/odiuuVMaGO4 I ended up going with this and after some tweaking i got osu to run very smooth and the touch input to work almost 100% every once and a blue moon i will cut out but im looking in to that link is the video results
thelewa
lockywocky