forum

[Archived] Background Difficulty Calculation Makes CTB Unplayable

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HeadlesZ
Problem details:

Every time switching to ctb, it says "beatmap difficulty calculation is running in the background", and then proceeds to slow down my game to an unplayable rate, so it makes it near impossible to make it into a map. I have tried leaving my game open for hours on end, but the issue never seems to go away.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20190524 (latest)
Aiseca
So, you are saying here that the calculation process eats away some of the performance of your PC when playing converts. Can you state how many maps you have because I don't think that's the cause, maybe something else?
Topic Starter
HeadlesZ
Death
I believe certain broken maps can cause excessive lag and seems to cause difficulty calculation to get stuck(?). Not sure if the change visible on https://osu.ppy.sh/home/changelog/cuttingedge/20190524.1 is meant to fix that, but either way it hasn't made its way to Stable.

If you've imported any maps recently, I'd try removing them. Or I suppose you could probably switch to CE and see if that fixes the issue.
MeAqua tete
The same problem happened on my osu program too, seems it won't affect my playing interface, but can severly break my song selecting experience.
This problem solves automaticly when sr cal finishes, but this program runs again automatically when osu is restarted.
Death

Present wrote:

The same problem happened on my osu program too, seems it won't affect my playing interface, but can severly break my song selecting experience.
This problem solves automaticly when sr cal finishes, but this program runs again automatically when osu is restarted.
To clarify, you let the game sit on the song selection screen so difficulty calculation can run in the background, and after a period of the time it seems to finish (you are no longer lagging when selecting beatmaps and you don't have any maps that are missing a star rating), then when you restart the game it starts again?
skates99
Same here it causing a lot of problems for me I really can't play any beatmaps cause it keeps laging really bad I've been using the 2017 client cause of that problem the
only problem the auto update brins me back to the laggy one year it's been a problem for me
-Haru-
I have the same issue right after updating my osu! client. I've let the client run in the song select for some time for the beatmap calculation to finish but right after restarting the client it starts to do the same calculation again. This has been an issue for me for several weeks and sometimes it eats up my overall CPU usage causing my PC to be unusable. I'm currently typing this with my osu! client closed because i can't open other applications while my client is open due to the heavy cpu usage of beatmap calculation running in background during song select.

TLDR: Beatmap calculation keeps happening after a game restart even if it was already finished before.
spaceynoodle
I had the same notification. I accidentally held ctrl+3. It then switches between mania, taiko etc. If you hold ctrl+1 it goes back to Osu! and it should go away. At least for me!
Yeeowch
This happens When you download a lot of beatmaps and import them in the same time. what you need to do is select every beatmap but dont play it. wait until it say beatmap difficulty calculation finished.
- b3 -
I had the same issue: "beatmap difficulty calculation is running in the background"

This started appearing after I copied my songs and skins to a separate folder before I deleted osu on my harddrive and installed a new osu game on my ssd.

After I finished installing osu on my ssd, I copied all the songs and skins i saved previously and pasted them in the songs/skins folder.
Death

- b3 - wrote:

I had the same issue: "beatmap difficulty calculation is running in the background"

This started appearing after I copied my songs and skins to a separate folder before I deleted osu on my harddrive and installed a new osu game on my ssd.

After I finished installing osu on my ssd, I copied all the songs and skins i saved previously and pasted them in the songs/skins folder.
Let the game sit on the song selection screen until it finishes.
JuztMagic

spaceynoodle wrote:

I had the same notification. I accidentally held ctrl+3. It then switches between mania, taiko etc. If you hold ctrl+1 it goes back to Osu! and it should go away. At least for me!
U saved mee :3
ZeBBOv2
For me this recently happened too. But it's on the same few maps no matter what I do and all new maps that I download. There isn't any issue with gameplay but it's annoying because all difficulties show 0 in the star rating. That same text pops up often too in the lower right corner.
THAT_otaku
Please don't bump old threads.

Death wrote:

Let the game sit on the song selection screen until it finishes.
If a few songs show 0* no matter how long you wait, try pressing f5 in song select
ZeBBOv2
Why? The same problem is occuring now too so why not speak about it?

I did refresh all my maps multiple times and nothing changed. BUT I found a solution for myself at least.

If I hosted a multi and selected the o* maps there, they turned back to normal but I had to do it individually for every map and did it to around 50 maps and then everything was ok.
Huytimeclock
Same here, the mania mode is broken, when I wait to refresh the whole thing in std, taiko and ctb, everything seem fine and it was calculated but with mania, no matter how long I waited, its still dont calculate ?? if that can be help, can I asked the way how to stop calculating ?
HyungBing

Aiseca wrote:

So, you are saying here that the calculation process eats away some of the performance of your PC when playing converts. Can you state how many maps you have because I don't think that's the cause, maybe something else?
um i also have this issue and I have around 6-700k maps