forum

[rule change] make 16:9 the standard resolution not 4:3

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Nao Tomori
basically by now 4:3 monitors seem obsolete (to me, dunno if there is still a significant population using them, let me know if so). as such, sliders should be determined as offscreen or not based on 16:9 ratio rather than 4:3.

yes im making this thread cuz my last map had like 4 offscreen sliders by accident and i got tilted
Turquoise-
ya sure
Stefan
no, I want to keep my 4:3 windowed innocent. without offscreen objects
Xinnoh
4:3 play area allows user interface things such as leaderboards to not overlap hit objects.
+ it's easier to adapt 4:3 play area to 16:9 monitors than it is to adapt 16:9 to 4:3
Aiseca
I have 4:3 window resolution. No thanks.
Cherry Blossom
playing with a 16:9 monitor doesn't mean you play with a 16:9 res.
I play with 4:3 window res (1024 728), it's also useful on editor to check if objects are offscreen.
Topic Starter
Nao Tomori
in that case, how about active objects (meaning slider heads and circles) cannot be offscreen, but slider tails or bodies can? that way gameplay is not affected and people who do not artificially limit themselves to a smaller playfield for some reason can use more of the screen for their maps.
Stefan
Don't go offscreen anyway is the solution
Xierra
It reminds me of one BAT (or BN) that modded my map, and something about offscreen was mentioned.
I don't know if this is still a thing now, but I do know some people still play on 4:3 because it was a lot more comfortable for them.

Yes, 4:3 players are the minority, but not to be forgotten / ignored.
The not going offscreen rule is made not only to make the playing field a lot more grounded, but also so that everyone can enjoy the map regardless of PC or monitor. The playing field is not going to change anytime soon, me thinks.
xenal
How about people using their native resolution being something weird in between 16:9 and 4:3 (like my 13:9 i have to use when at my parent home when viziting). This ain't a artificial limit since it's their monitor size. Also 4:3 monitors still exist. The reason why 4:3 is default is to give equal groud to everybody, nobody wants to be forced to drop a sliderend because it was offscreen. Even more simply, why would they be the only one to see a part of the slider gone from the map, they have rights to have visual

If include active objects, a 16:9 playfield being much larger than high is debatable : i'd rather have it normalize into a complete square 1:1. Larger will change meta into moving left-rigth in attempt to fill the playfield.
Nyxa

Nao Tomori wrote:

in that case, how about active objects (meaning slider heads and circles) cannot be offscreen, but slider tails or bodies can? that way gameplay is not affected and people who do not artificially limit themselves to a smaller playfield for some reason can use more of the screen for their maps.
I like that but then stuff like the final slider of Probox Solace Aspire would be legal and I'm sure people will complain about that for whatever reason. I think those kinds of sliders should be allowed, as long as the sliderball never exits the playfield.
Aiseca

Stefan wrote:

Don't go offscreen anyway is the solution

This.
Kyuunex
nah, it's fine the way it is. I play windowed. 4:3 is fine.
Full Tablet
This would be a big change in terms of gameplay. People who play on 4:3 would be negatively affected by making everything smaller in order to fit the play area inside the screen/window. People who play on 16:9 would need to get used to aiming on a bigger area (some might even need to change their tablet area mapping settings, if they set it so it corresponds to the original play area)
pishifat
i think playing osu in 4:3 resolutions (regardless of monitor resolution) is still too common to be disregarded yet
Nikakis
yes Nao cause it takes so much effort to fix offscreen sliders, literally 1 second
Topic Starter
Nao Tomori
it isn't disregarding it - active clickable objects being on screen is what is needed, that would ofc include slider repeats, so there would not be any gameplay effect at a high level since players do not play entire sliders by that level.

nikakis: your avatar is pretty accurate for my reaction
smozit
sure
Smokeman
Ther should be some leniency on sliderbodies shich are outside the 4:3 limits (left and right edges). There are valid extensions and mechanics which can be experimented with while not rendering 4:3 players ability to play the map impossible.