forum

Performance Points

posted
Total Posts
show more
roym899

roym899 wrote:

I wonder why it can happen that you improve your score but lose pp? It just happened to me on a song which was in my Best Performance list. I improved my rank and I lost around 20 pp. (I also lost 0,01 accuracy, maybe that's the problem)
Ok I improved the accuracy now, too and the PP got way higher now.

But I also have another question: When only scores in the top 500 are considered, is also only the accuracy of these scores considered?
Ziggo

roym899 wrote:

I wonder why it can happen that you improve your score but lose pp? It just happened to me on a song which was in my Best Performance list. I improved my rank and I lost around 20 pp. (I also lost 0,01 accuracy, maybe that's the problem)
Nope, I had the same issue even though I also improved the accuracy of my record. I guess it's some weird bug or something like that.

roym899 wrote:

Ok I improved the accuracy now, too and the PP got way higher now.
Well, that's nice for you then. PP can still decrease even with improved accuracy though.
bwross

Aqo wrote:

I'd just like to point something out that just occurred to me, which is related to how scoring and the PP system works with taking into account only good plays and not bad ones:

We have Player A and Player B, playing a map.

Player A first played that map with 89% accuracy and a few miss, and then proceeded to retry that map again and again for several hours, having about 50-100 retries on it, until eventually getting an SS on it. Even despite getting that SS, if Player A kept playing that map he would most likely get 95%-97% accuracy on an average run.

Player B played that map and had 98% accuracy on his first try. He thought he might try going for an SS on it, so he played it again, then getting about 98% again, maybe slightly higher. He then decided this map isn't very fun for him, and moved on.

Who do you think is a more skilled player, A or B?
And who is PP going to rate higher?
Player C realized that under the new Aqo replay point rewarding system, he should play the map a 1000 times on a machine disconnected from the net until he could do it in his sleep. Then he moved over to the connected machine, played it once and SSed it, scoring beau coup de Aqo-PP.

Factoring in number of plays is Capital-B Bad. It just encourages silly and aberrant player behaviour. People shouldn't ever feel obligated to hide their practicing or to avoid the online aspects of the game. People shouldn't be punished because their machine lags more than someone else's and costs them more replays. People shouldn't feel that they need to always be in top condition and ready to play seriously whenever they play... they should be able to kick back and play casually, even if they're drunk or sick in bed or playing offhanded for fun and can barely get through songs.

Yes, Player A might have gotten a bit lucky. But that's okay, the system doesn't need to penalize bad play to correct for that, decay will eventually take away any points that Player A cannot reproduce again easily. Plus, while Player A was playing that map a 100 times, Player B could be scoring well on many maps, or doing what A is doing and scoring an SS on a much harder map. All told, Player B probably outscored Player A in PP during that time period, even if Player B didn't get more PP on that one map.

Only rewarding good plays and not penalizing for bad plays is one of the main factors that lead PP to rate farming over skill on a lot of the maps. While it's understandable that penalizing bad plays might be demoralizing for all of the players who are not used to competitive ranking boards, the system has to work in a way that makes sense when going with the decision of only taking into account good plays (this is related to worth of SS/S/etc, on different levels of OD. An SS on low OD usually means no more than "farming" and not actual "skill" with the current system and the nature of what maps players choose to play. Rewarding extra for high-accuracy on a system that ignores retries basically rewards extra for farming and for playing easier maps).
That's not farming. Farming would be if you could just keep playing new maps and have your PP grow without end. You can't do that in the new system, because the weighting curve will cut you off after so many maps, and the only way you can get more PP then is to score higher than your previous plays. It might look like you can farm, because if your PP is built on junk already, playing low level maps can stoke things up a bit and look like farming. But it's ultimately self defeating... eventually you'll need to post better and better plays to advance. Plus, better scores means that you get to add more of them together (because the weighting function won't push them under the threshold until later)... it's bonus squared. Sure there is a bit of an issue with PP being "soft" for lower values... where a player might be able to advance quicker in the short term with lower level maps, but another player playing higher level maps will be actively becoming a better player, and will ultimately be able to score higher.

Besides, the problem you seem to be going on about can be addressed better (and without destroying the game) by addressing OD. I'm sure peppy has already considered that low OD makes high accuracy less impressive and the bonuses involved might need to be tweaked accordingly, because that's pretty obvious.

That's not to say the PP system is ideal. It would be nice if a player could feel that a 560th place SS rank Hard/Insane was worth something and didn't feel that they'd have been better off underplaying their ability on the Normal map for a top-40. An ideal system would recognize that a player capable of one was capable of the other and their ranking would be set accordingly without making players ever feel they should or need to underplay. But that would require an excellent objective measure of difficulty, which is a very hard problem... the PP system approaches from a more subjective angle, which is a good approach to the problem given the constraints and difficulties posed. The weighting function is an excellent approach, as is the decay, they make a solid statistical approach to calculating a variable that's expected to trend. The top-500 cutoff is a bit ugly, IMO, but I can see why it's there, even if it does contribute to underplay behaviour (one suggestion to alleviate this a bit would be to consider having SSes be eligible at any rank... past 500 they're probably not worth much anyways (and might well be worth 0 if too far down), so it's not like you can farm a million 500+ rank SSes and have them count for much given the other limitations). The fact that you can lose PP on a map when you improve a score on it is also less than ideal.
nrii_old

Lybydose wrote:

suddenly, 8 new scores appear in the top 40 of lonely dreaming girl
9 now, +6pp thx
Jordan
ROFL just as expected. Now that everyone knows high weighted maps every noob can go farm good ranks on simple maps and get loads of pp for nothing. Gj publishing the list...
nrii_old

Jordan wrote:

ROFL just as expected. Now that everyone knows high weighted maps every noob can go farm good ranks on simple maps and get loads of pp for nothing. Gj publishing the list...
and what's stopping good players doing the same and beating the "noobs" ranks?

btw you could already do this by checking people like sette and shadowsouls top ranks, full of hards you could dt for easy pp
winber1

nrii wrote:

laziness
Mismagius

Jordan wrote:

i thought the point of online games with rankings WAS competitivity
Tanzklaue

Blue Dragon wrote:

Jordan wrote:

i thought the point of online games with rankings WAS competitivity
funny, I thought the point of games overall was fun :/

jokes aside, leaking this list was probably not the best thing to do, since now, like lolcubes said, everyon will farm these maps, making other maps even more worthless.

plus some bored cracks could get behind the alggorythm, but that's really unrealistic.
SoND
Is there a "sliding scale" for points distribution vs number of unique players instead of a flat cut-off point e.g. rank #1000?

Some maps have pretty much everyone playing them making the chances of getting into the points zone very slim and a lot more demanding. Even if you do really well there's already another 4000 that have done slightly better, it can put you off spending time at the map. Perhaps the reward makes up for it but idk because I don't rank high enough :D

How does the system handle maps with few scores (<500) but high difficulty with plenty of the top ranking players?

Note my curves should actually be curvy.

Note: I understand this could be unworkable nonsense
Mismagius

Tanzklaue wrote:

plus some bored cracks could get behind the alggorythm, but that's really unrealistic.
why would anyone do that anyways? the list of highest pp ranks is there.
nrii_old

Blue Dragon wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

why would anyone do that anyways? the list of highest pp ranks is there.
but it is and it isnt, the list goes some way but is flawed imo, either with high rank maps that dont give much, or maps that arent even on it that give a fucking shitload
edit couple examples:
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/86377 #782 on list and giving insane amounts
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/134550&m=0 just took #2 on this and its in my top 4 top ranks, not even on the list
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/48506 #741 on list yet kyou-kun's top ranked map, ahead of her f.i score which is map rank #206

this isnt to say the list is wrong, but i get the feeling there is more to it than just this list
Tom69_old

nrii wrote:

Jordan wrote:

btw you could already do this by checking people like sette and shadowsouls top ranks, full of hards you could dt for easy pp
This is like score farming. Boring. That's what stops at least me from doing it. The original aim of PP was to reward good scores, not a certain set of beatmaps. :>
nrii_old

Tom94 wrote:

This is like score farming. Boring. That's what stops at least me from doing it. The original aim of PP was to reward good scores, not a certain set of beatmaps. :>
dont get me wrong im not saying its good this way, just that this guy is crying over nothing
JAKACHAN

nrii wrote:

Jordan wrote:

Everyone loves playing hards with DT...
HashishKabob
Yo man, I just came to say yo.. system's whack man!

#46 PEACE
Kert

JAKANYAN wrote:

Everyone loves playing hards with DT...
No
vahetpole
Am I the only one who cannot access the top weighted maps list on google docs?
MillhioreF
peppy deleted his post about it too... it seems he decided to cancel making the list public xD
Jordan

nrii wrote:

Tom94 wrote:

dont get me wrong im not saying its good this way, just that this guy is crying over nothing
I'm not really crying over nothing xD just saying what Tom said: farming is boring. I want to play the hardest diff of a map to gain pp (talking of already high rank) not simple diffs that give me 5 times more pp than some insanes :[
Icyteru
^That would be fucking hard to calculate, in fact, I'm pretty sure that's the aim peppy was trying to achieve in the first place.

Anyway, yea I just noticed, even though hards on DT are easier than most insanes, I get more pp from hard DT than hidden insane FC.Top rank: Hard DT.

I only ever played 2 hards and both on DT, yet they both are on my top ranks list.

Something needs to be done about this.
Kert
Well, weightning is seriously too influenced by amount of plays or something, because
Demetori - Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
I got 2 PP for these really small circles
Is that okay?

UPD: this is probably another case and is related to how HR modifier works
It should have a higher multiplier for higher OD and circle size and on the countrary
Fidelas
I wish there wasn't a hard floor on required rank (#500 or no points), even if it inflated pp. As someone who rarely places in the top 500 and prefers to dabble in maps rather than listen to the same song on repeat, I don't feel a sense of progress at all, really. With Score I realized at least that while I would never play often enough to pass a certain point (about 14k), coming back every other week to fight for those 300 ranks I'd slipped at least felt like progressing, or fighting degression.
Yuugo
Again, this.

peppy wrote:

I plan on making a fallback pp calculation for people with less top-500 records. I don't plan on increasing the number past 500 (because it begins to get both intensive to calculate, and less meaningful with the current algorithm) but do plan on allowing people without such records to still improve their pp to visible levels. This will likely work based on your ranks achieved (and possible ranked score).
Just be patient~
nrii_old
does anyone else think 95-97% hr needs a boost? i've overwrote a couple of my easy hd SS with this range of hr acc and lost 3-4 pp per score. i know that the acc is bad but as someone who doesnt play hr, its a lot harder in my eyes to get a 97% on hhr than an SS on hd yet the hd SS was giving me more pp for a lower rank
Winshley
pp result from me playing Beck - Timebomb [Normal]

- Before playing the map: 5,214pp
- After playing the map (getting #1 with just 1 100, Accuracy 99.76%): 5,223pp
- Playing again (this time, an SS): 5,225pp
Kert

nrii wrote:

does anyone else think 95-97% hr needs a boost? i've overwrote a couple of my easy hd SS with this range of hr acc and lost 3-4 pp per score. i know that the acc is bad but as someone who doesnt play hr, its a lot harder in my eyes to get a 97% on hhr than an SS on hd yet the hd SS was giving me more pp for a lower rank
Depends on OD of course
I'd say that 97+ is good enough for OD8 HR+HD and could be counted as a better score than HD SS
96+ for OD9 and OD10
nrii_old

Kert wrote:

Depends on OD of course
I'd say that 97+ is good enough for OD8 HR and could be counted as a better score than HD SS
96+ for OD9 and OD10
the map i lost loads on was od8, i grinded it for an hour and took a 98% hd+hr and gained loads more than hd SS was worth, so thats fine, but the 96~ run i made to start dropped me by 4 pp from a hd SS. i forgot to mention this was actually hd+hr, so double mod vs hd ss and i still lost pp just from the acc drop.
Kert
Oops
I meant HR HD plays
Fixed that post
lolcubes
That also depends on the map too. Some maps are easier to get higher acc with hdhr than some others, regardless of the map settings.
@Kert, there is no difference in OD on hard rock if it's 8 or greater.
Kert
For some reason I was thinking it's the same starting from OD9
But yeah - t/64265
My bad
TheVileOne

Yuugoh wrote:

Again, this.

peppy wrote:

I plan on making a fallback pp calculation for people with less top-500 records. I don't plan on increasing the number past 500 (because it begins to get both intensive to calculate, and less meaningful with the current algorithm) but do plan on allowing people without such records to still improve their pp to visible levels. This will likely work based on your ranks achieved (and possible ranked score).
Just be patient~
I am skeptical about this. Programs have managed to do much more complicated things without unreasonable performance strains. It seems more likely that peppy doesn't want to fix a design flaw with the algorithm itself that makes going past 500 ranks meaningless. In the programming world, these flaws are probably based on dependencies.

My opinion on pp is simple. It doesn't need to have a dependency on rank, because really just boils down to Rank = pp earned. The only complicated bit outside of removing pp as rank goes down is how much pp is earned per x number of ranks. That is the bulk of the algorithm and is already in place. the missing link is the part that takes rank, and turns it into a decimal number that is used to determine how much pp a rank is worth.

Example
rank = 2000

pp multiplier = 0.001

rank * ppm = 2.

Divide by 10

Rank factor = 0.2

Base pp is calculated based on popularity, age, other factors that it already uses to calculate.

Base - Base * rank factor = pp earned.

It will need to check whether the player's score actually gains pp. That is simple to do.

First check whether rank is higher, if not then don't calculate pp. If it is calculate pp gained from first score, and calculate pp from second score, and if the difference is greater than or equal to 1 then give the rounded pp amount to the player.

The real performance intensive part is checking players that will lose pp below your rank when you move past them. There are many ways this could be done and is probably peppy's concern when it comes to intensive operations. A class could be programmed that maps point gain tables for each beatmap could be used to increase performance. Basically since the performance table which would be based off the max amount of pp obtainable for that beatmap difficulty, it wouldn't change that often, and it would have all the ranges where players would gain a point amount, and when a player submits a score, it would remove points according to the table. It would be complicated. But really if performance is the main concern, then this would improve performance even with only 500 players. It's a win win situation.
lolcubes
How do you know how complicated this is?
It's okay to assume stuff, but it's not okay to judge others based on assumptions though. Noone except for peppy currently knows the pp formula, and it already took so long to make it update in real time (without actually dropping in pp, which is still calculated once a day I believe, due to the massive amounts of information, I could be wrong).
Just sayin'. :P
Aqo
This post is TL;DR. Read the section titles and only refer to some parts of it if not everything interests you.

Related to the list of top PP-giving maps:

In an ideal osu!, star ratings would show the true difficulty of maps.
In an ideal osu!, the hardest maps would give the highest rating for the rankings.
In an ideal osu!, competitive players would know which maps are the hardest, would be able to easily find them with search filters, and play them to rank the best.

Revealing which maps give the most pp obviously leads players to try them out, but that is not wrong - that's what SHOULD happen. Like BD said: the whole point of online ranking is the competitiveness, and a competitive player would naturally strive to play the most competed maps. While I think that those maps should be the hardest ones in their raw level, PP judges this by their "contestedness" level which can be more or less ok too - but that means showing which maps are the most contested should be public information, just like showing which maps are the hardest. Hiding the list of top-pp maps shows distrust in the quality of the pp system;

If you have trust in pp, there would should be no problem with revealing the top pp-giving maps, because it means that playing just those map specifically would not make players rate higher than usual - since the way they would rank on those maps would be consistent with their skill in the way they played until now, and thus stay as it always was. (i.e. they'd get lower ranks on top-pp listed maps, compared to lower maps on the list or maps outside the list where it would be easier to get higher ranks.)

Hiding the list means that you believe some maps on the top-pp list are actually getting higher pp worth than they actually deserve - which means the pp system is flawed if it really is the case.

I was really impressed with peppy first choosing to reveal the list, because it meant he really trusts the pp system, but now that it was hidden it seems like even the creator himself doesn't trust the accuracy of his system. Disappointing.

Putting aside lowdiffs that showed on the list, even stuff like Blue Night being higher than Chipscape looks like nonsense; Blue Night is obviously more popular because it's much much easier, and I'm sure I can FC with enough retries until I stop getting random miss on stack, while chipscape is hard to even just pass no matter how much you play it. Earthquake Super Shock 0108 is also a pretty easy map to FC and you could add Hidden on top of that no problem, but on since it's on a very popular mapset it rates higher than many other harder maps. And yet, I'm sure most of the people who played the 0108 of supershock didn't FC it often, which means the contestedness level of it is very high without really being very truly contested. The top 50 for it is nomod S with 99.33%... anyone can pass this rank with Hidden.

---

@ response to winber1, [CSGA]Ar3sgice, boat (from 2 pages ago):
Player B is worse than Player A, because he does less to try to rank well on the competition system. So he deserves a lower score (and we already have a scoring system). However PP is supposed to rate skill, not effort, right? While Player B may not be as dedicated as Player A, if they both played a new map that just came out, who do you think would do better on it? That's what I meant by "more skilled", which is different.
PP claims to rate players by skill, not by effort. This sort of rating can be useful; for example, if you're hosting a multiplayer room, you will play maps that require a certain skill, so knowing your own skill as well as others' is a good way to find a multiplayer room that will be fun for you to play in. But if PP rates skill incorrectly and instead rates your desire to have high PP then its existence is pretty much pointless isn't it?

"...to rank people by using one song..." - the thing is, I actually meant the opposite. This example was to show that players are going to put different effort levels into different maps. Player A might pour a lot of effort into one group of maps, which player B would pour a lot of effort into other groups of maps. They can both beat each other and lose to each other on the rankings based on how much effort they put into each map they played. However with the current system, the player who was lucky to play more popular maps would end up ranking higher - and this would be independent of skill, it would boil down to whether you were lucky to choose to play popular maps. This is the problem with a system that contests based on map popularity instead of map difficulty.

" I don't think someone who can only do 89% can magically get a SS even if playing for 3-5 hours" this is actually not uncommon in low levels of play :p high level players can adapt quickly, but low level players take longer to adapt. For example I usually play 170-190 bpm maps, if I'd play a 140bpm map now I'd get very poor accuracy on it. But if I'd spend 1-2 hours playing 140bpm maps, I'd probably be able to gold SS it. I'm sure a lot of you can find something similar to this on your plays (maybe jumps, spacing, reading patterns on a specific map, etc. retries on one map can specifically help you for that map without helping your general skill except for other maps similar to that one).

---

In response to concern of low-pp-rated maps getting less attention because of publication of the list:

This is actually still the same as what I said earlier. Players will still play whatever they like the most. And if a player likes just playing for fun, knowing the top-contested maps won't make him play just them if he doesn't like them.
Meanwhile, if a player only plays to get the highest rank the fastest, then right now he'll already check top ranks of top players, as well as go over maps and check their top50 ranks, and then intentionally only play the stuff where he knows it's the easiest for him to rank the highest for the most points.

So this changes nothing. Knowing the top pp-giving list won't make any maps be more popular or less popular, players will still play like they always have. It will only make PP-farming easier, but if PP really isn't farmable like it intends to be then this wouldn't be possible. If revealing the list actually allows people to farm PP easier, then this proves PP weightings are not functioning correctly. And wasn't this the point of revealing the list? To let players check the maps on it and report what is weighted higher or lower than it should be, to provide useful feedback and will help tune the PP system to be more accurate. I really don't understand why was this list hidden.

Are you worried that some players would suddenly get higher PP than they deserve due to revealing this? If this is even a concern, it means clear distrust in the quality of the PP system. Are you worried that players would complain about info on the list and call PP bad? afaik PP is considered to still be in beta stages of development and is not final, so just ignore those complaints and use the output from them as feedback to improve the system.

---

In renpose to bwross:

"Player C grinded a map on an offline machine, to get a good accuracy on it on his first try online. This is why amount of retries should not be taken into account".
My response to this is a little complicated, so read carefully:

1. If the map is easy enough to SS consistently once you practice it enough, then you will most likely be able to SS consistency every single map on that level on your first try once you learn to do it for that map. Keep reading.

2. Some maps are so hard that, even if you can SS them sometimes, you won't be able to do it every time. Even if you played that map 1000 times offline and had several SS ranks on it offline, you cannot guarantee that on your first try online you'd get an SS, and if you're not good enough to SS it reliably every time then it most likely won't happen.

3. Grinding a map until you get really good at it will make you about as good on all maps of that same level. Like I stated earlier with the 140bpm example, I really suck at 140bpm right now, but from past experience if I practice this specific range for a while it's possible to get good accuracy on it consistently on all maps that have that bpm.

Now lets combine 1 & 2 & 3. The concern is: players hiding their skill, and getting rewarded higher than they deserve for high accuracy on maps due to offline retries.
The system I suggested takes into account your accuracy on every try that you do. It doesn't just go "oh hey, this player got 99.5%, and it took him 20 tries.". It goes "the player played x, had 99%, give him +/- y points. the player played x (again), had 98.5%, give him +/- y points." etc, per retry. If you actually got good enough to play a certain level with reliable accuracy on every try, allowing you to get that level of accuracy on your first try online, then you're actually good enough to do it and you deserve the rating you get. Had you done those 1000 retries online, your rating would slowly go up over time until reaching your level, while by doing it offline your rating just suddenly spikes upwards, but you end up on the same spot.
JappyBabes

Aqo wrote:

However PP is supposed to rate skill, not effort, right?
It ranks effort, no viable skill ranking will ever be incorporated into osu
Aqo

JappyBabes wrote:

Aqo wrote:

However PP is supposed to rate skill, not effort, right?
It ranks effort, no viable skill ranking will ever be incorporated into osu
Are you suggesting its impossible?

Skill is not that broad of a term as it sounds. It's just "how likely is this guy going to be able to get good results on maps when playing them".
lolcubes
There is no system in the world which measures true skill. These aren't skill points, they are performance points, and they judge a person's performance. A person can be skilled to unmeasurable levels, however if he doesn't perform then he won't have good performance points.

While performance is affected by skill, it is not skill rating.
Aqo

lolcubes wrote:

There is no system in the world which measures true skill. These aren't skill points, they are performance points, and they judge a person's performance. A person can be skilled to unmeasurable levels, however if he doesn't perform then he won't have good performance points.

While performance is affected by skill, it is not skill rating.
Ok, good point. However performance is still directly related to skill. To perform well you must first perform, and if you don't perform enough or at all you won't get rated for it - this much is true. But to be able to perform well you need the skill to do it, or else even with enough time it shouldn't be possible for you.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my belief that PP was introduced because people complained that the old scoring system rated how much time players put into the game and not how "good" they are, which is why the need for a new rating system arose.
While players who don't perform do not deserve a high performance rating, isn't the inverse true as well? Players who do get high performance rating should be the ones that perform well, not just the one who perform a lot.
lolcubes

Aqo wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my belief that PP was introduced because people complained that the old scoring system rated how much time players put into the game and not how "good" they are, which is why the need for a new rating system arose.
This is true, but back then you had to spend a year or so to get even to top 100, because of the amount of beatmaps. It certainly doesn't take a year to get to high PP, if you really deserve it. Playing should be rewarded, not how "good" you are while you aren't playing.

While players who don't perform do not deserve a high performance rating, isn't the inverse true as well? Players who do get high performance rating should be the ones that perform well, not just the one who perform a lot.
Well, this is already happening. It's just that you probably didn't get to that number yet.
TheVileOne
I have to say this about differences in harder difficulties. My thoughts i that it would be balanced if the pp system took percent failed in mind when it decided how Easy/Hard something is. And the harder a map is, the lower the pass rate, and that means it will be worth more pp regardless of if it's popular. Remember there are different factors that determine how much pp a difficulty is worth. I'm not sure what exactly those factors are, but I have no reason to assume they are inaccurate and we shouldn't make such claims without evidence of such inaccuracies.

Besides the difference is probably fairly insignificant anyways. But even if I did assume it would matter, then it would give difficulty the point advantage anyways, which would invalidate the balance claim. Harder difficulties get higher pp gains. What's so wrong with associating difficulty with skill level?
show more