forum

How do I play/progress in osu! now?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Animefan
Hi osu! community.
I'd like to be one of the top danish osu! players, so I started playing songs I haven't before and my score grew and I progressed on the list.
Now its suddenly changed to that awful unprecise PP system. Will it take over the REAL ranked score completely someday?
Am I doomed to play the same maps I already did over and over and over untill I feel like shooting myself to become better now?
darkmiz
Contact damiaanzx sensei (Oh wait, damiaanzx has changed their username to Evanlet!) and by the end of the week, you should be able to S 5 star maps.

Seriously, stop farming normal/easy diffs, play more hard/isane diffs.
Cho_old

Animefan wrote:

Now its suddenly changed to that awful unprecise PP system.
You realise that because it ranks you worse doesn't mean the system is worse ?
It means you're bad. Wrong attitude to have if you want to actually be one of the top danish players rather than just ranked the same in any form of points.
Topic Starter
Animefan

darkmiz wrote:

Contact damiaanzx sensei (Oh wait, damiaanzx has changed their username to Evanlet!) and by the end of the week, you should be able to S 5 star maps.
Tried PM'ing him. Wouldn't mind being able to do that ^^

Cho wrote:

Animefan wrote:

Now its suddenly changed to that awful unprecise PP system.
You realise that because it ranks you worse doesn't mean the system is worse ?
It means you're bad. Wrong attitude to have if you want to actually be one of the top danish players rather than just ranked the same in any form of points.
Less petty personal attacks, more replying to my question :)
Mithos
The PP system better ranks top players than "lol i played more old maps than you did haha".
Topic Starter
Animefan

Mithost wrote:

The PP system better ranks top players than "lol i played more old maps than you did haha".
Instead of saying what the PP system does, could you tell me what I should do then? Keep playing the same songs I already? For how long? What should I do in them? How do I know when I gained PP? And how much does each thing gain me?

The other system was simple, you get points, you rise in rank, more points, more rising. This one I don't get.
darkmiz

Animefan wrote:

Mithost wrote:

Instead of saying what the PP system does, could you tell me what I should do then? Keep playing the same songs I already? For how long? What should I do in them? How do I know when I gained PP? And how much does each thing gain me?

The other system was simple, you get points, you rise in rank, more points, more rising. This one I don't get.
http://osu.ppy.sh/wiki/Performance_Points

Like i said, stop ranking on easy/normal maps, play more insane maps.

Fast way to farm gain pp: Use hidden mod to rank on "hard" diffs. Easier to get into top ranks because real pros only rank at the hardest (insane) diffs.
thelewa
Also try to get good accuracy in maps
G0r
It may sound like we're giving you a hard time, but what's been said already is basically right. You are getting away with ranking well, because you've played a ton of easy maps to even out with players who play harder maps with more score per map, but have to spend more time on them. If you want to get better, then you need to set higher goals for yourself. Start by trying to hit a certain accuracy that is higher than your average on every map you play, or try to meet some standard on all the maps you beat, such as having all S scores, or maybe try to beat the maps that you have no trouble with by using mods to make them harder, or only play insanes from here on, or you could only accept an FC on every map you play from here on, or only play above a certain BPM. Those are just some ideas for goals that I've used in the past. Eventually what happens is that you start reaching your goals, and then they become easy to you and you need to start adding on more. You start looking more and more like a top player every time you succeed. It's a pretty cool experience, but you need to really enjoy testing yourself and perfecting yourself. Do it one step at a time, and see how you like it.
Jordan
Just play maps you can barely pass / practice them with no-fail until you improve. Yes that's generic but it worked on me.
JAKACHAN
The problem here is you first tried to call the PP system unprecise clearly because it ranked you lower than the previous ranking system did. The problem with that is you criticized a system without fully understanding how it works which is why everyone called you bad because you were acting like you are amazing and deserve to be top 10.

If you really want to improve stop worrying about your rank and do this.

1. Download a ton of popular/new maps (New maps because they are usually the most popular, but there are still some old popular ones)
2. Play the highest difficulties of these maps (Don't just play the same one over and over try to play new stuff every few tries)
3. Keep playing new maps on the hardest difficulties until you improve to the point where you can S hard insanes.
4. Start playing with mods to get top 40 ranks.
5. Gain PP
6. ???
7. Win

Overall stop playing easy, normal, and hard difficulties (Unless hard is the highest difficulty in the map) because these wont get you anywhere. PP is way less unprecise than the old system was because look you just farmed a bunch of easy/normal diffs and were able to get rank 4k.
G0r
I was actually terribly mistrustful of PP when it first came out, because I had less of it when it started, and I always tried my hardest to play skillfully and not farm for the sake of just getting ranked score. I really wanted to be good, and I pushed myself. When the PP score wasn't higher than my ranked score I felt sort of cheated. Over time, though, I started seeing how it really was rising at a pretty regular rate as I kept improving, and it has been catching up to my rank ever since. I think it's probably not exactly right on, and I maybe have some issues with how it scores, but I can definitely see how it is way better than just Ranked score alone. I actually enjoy the fact that it gives me more incentive to keep trying to beat maps with mods, since that gains you the best PP.
Sakura
You want an answer to your question?

Here's an answer to your question: Yes
awp

Animefan wrote:

Am I doomed to play the same maps I already did over and over and over untill I feel like shooting myself to become better now?
do whatever you think is the most fun

because that's what you're here for
winber1

G0r wrote:

I was actually terribly mistrustful of PP when it first came out, because I had less of it when it started
:( ikr,I thot I would be higher ranked lulz. But whatever, I still don't really care that much.
Defacer
­
Rena-chan

Animefan wrote:

I'd like to be one of the top danish osu! players
That's gonna be easy to accomplish. We aren't a very large group.
Tsukimi Luna
#1. Rank in INSANES not some normal and easies
#2. Stop whining

PS. Rank whoring doesnt necesarilly mean pro....
I am a rank whore myself but ive reduce rank whoring.
If u are arnd rank 4k u shud be able to S most insanes in less than 10 tries... In my case and im still considered a rankwhore by most
Evanlet

darkmiz wrote:

Contact damiaanzx sensei.
Evanlet sensei to the rescue.
Ha at all the pissed off people. Anyway, like others and I said, step up your game. Play maps that are out of your comfort zone, and step it up again when you're feeling comfortable with them. Score rank never meant anything nor does it have anything to do with skill (personal opinion), so don't worry your head about it.
Sup A Noob
I'm actually happy the PP system came out because I finally know who's actually really better than me in skill level rather than them being a rank whore. Not that it helps, seeing the PP system is still whoreable.

Just play harder maps. It's your shortcut to improvement.
Aoitenshi
Yes, play hard map and you'll be good! I'm rank 25k and my PP rank is 21k! ^^
Evanlet

Sup A Noob wrote:

I'm actually happy the PP system came out because I finally know who's actually really better than me in skill level rather than them being a rank whore. Not that it helps, seeing the PP system is still whoreable.

As you said, its farmable, and it still doesn't mean that people with more PP than you are actually better than you, considering how people can just Flashlight to rank (I've noticed an increase since PP was introduced, coincidence?), which heavily contributes to PP.
TocoToucan

Animefan wrote:

Hi osu! community.

Are you joking?
Tsukimi Luna

TocoToucan wrote:

Animefan wrote:

Hi osu! community.

Are you joking?
lmao
Ekaru
Go SH some Hards (with extremely high accuracy, of course) and FC some Insanes. You'll be at a significantly higher pp rank before you know it.
Sup A Noob

Evanlet wrote:

Sup A Noob wrote:

As you said, its farmable, and it still doesn't mean that people with more PP than you are actually better than you, considering how people can just Flashlight to rank (I've noticed an increase since PP was introduced, coincidence?), which heavily contributes to PP.
I've noticed how people S'ing all the Hards (or easier Insanes to maps with multiple Insanes) have higher PP than me.

But then, once again, I've never played osu! *normally* since god knows when, and A's/S's only apply to those really easy harder Insanes now.
Heibel
If you're hoping to become one of the top players in Denmark then go play some insane songs and give up playing them Easy difficulties... Really

Valentiino

Yuu-Chii wrote:

If u are arnd rank 4k u shud be able to S most insanes in less than 10 tries... In my case and im still considered a rankwhore by most
How this works?

I'm rank 1,0** and still not capable of doing it. Plz hlp
silmarilen
play this song: http://osu.ppy.sh/b/19882
get free pp
Milkshake

Yuu-Chii wrote:

your jokes are funny
-Athena-
I was actually a little shocked when pp first came out, because I never expected that being mouse only, my pp rank would be higher than my score rank, so I felt pretty satisfied XD.

As everyone has said, pp is farmable to a certain extent, but now you need to work to farm it instead of ploughing through one hundred maps like nothing.
(hint: do what I do, slap on hidden and play insane maps, easy top 200 and pp, profit, I like doing that sometimes don't shoot me ;_;)
D33d

Animefan wrote:

Less petty personal attacks, more replying to my question :)
If you can't handle honesty, then don't bother asking us anything. With an attitude like that, you'll get nowhere in this community; let alone, making it as a player. Playing solely for the sake of being the best is a bad approach--just enjoy the game, keep improving yourself and continue to find new challenges in the form of mods and map difficulty.
emaaal

Rena-chan wrote:

Animefan wrote:

That's gonna be easy to accomplish. We aren't a very large group.
He still has to surpass us though.

HUEHUEHUEHUEHUE
G0r
As everyone has said, pp is farmable to a certain extent, but now you need to work to farm it instead of ploughing through one hundred maps like nothing.
(hint: do what I do, slap on hidden and play insane maps, easy top 200 and pp, profit, I like doing that sometimes don't shoot me ;_;)
I'm sorry to single you out, Athena, but what you said here represents a view that I can't understand. If getting PP requires at least HDing songs to get at least top 200 scores, then how exactly can anyone call this farming... I personally can do this without too much effort, so I'm not saying it's crazy insane hard, or anything, but the fact is that the majority of players can't do it. That's why the rank represents the top 200 plays. It's not a small feat. Also, HD is not something that the majority of players can throw on and get good scores with, even if good players can. But that's kind of the point... "Farming" is getting score with little effort. By definition what you're talking about takes great effort when we consider that only good players can do it. This really should not be called farming... It's really just good play.

I think good players should give themselves a little more credit for being able to do things like getting top 200 with HD easily. It doesn't mean you're farming. It means you're showing some of your skill, but maybe not as much as you could with more effort.
silmarilen
i wanna be #1 in the netherlands but i have people like lesjuh, gladi, henkie, happystick, renard and all those other pro's in front of me. so thats not very likely to happen :(
G0r
I'm number one in the Cayman islands... Too bad there aren't any other players in the Cayman islands...
nomen

G0r wrote:

I'm number one in the Cayman islands... Too bad there aren't any other players in the Cayman islands...
That's really sad... :(
kriers
I've been #2 in Norway for 2 years lool-

CXu too strong ;_;
CXu
IUEUHEUHUEHUHE
thelewa

kriers wrote:

I've been #2 in Norway for 2 years lool-

CXu too strong ;_;
I've been #1 in Finland for over a year now but that's because I'm the best everyone else is too lazy