forum

[resolved] very high ms with osu capped at 60 fps

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
first post here goes nothing
Problem details: my osu is capped at 60 fps and on very rare occasions it goes to 200 fps with 2.5 latency, I have a msi gs63 Stealth too. I have tried everything it feels like, I have went to the nvidia control panel and disabled vsync and lower my pre-rendered frames. I have also turned off v-sync in game and I have looked at countless threads on the same things and they all have solutions that I have either tried or is not on my version of windows. (Windows 10). Please help.

osu! version: Cutting Edge 20190409
HalfW
- I see that your osu! version is cutting edge, which is not really stable. Try going back to stable version.
- From my own experience, using the integrated graphic instead solves the problem. I just looked up and saw that your msi has an i7 8750H, which has an Intel UHD 630.
Don't worry, I have a much weaker laptop with i3 7130U and Intel HD 620, and it runs 240fps with ~1ms in gameplays.
Sana Minatozaki
I have a similar problem but my Ms is capped at 3.0 constant and won't ever go under, I play on uncapped fps, this only started today and I used to get around 1.5.

Device is Lenovo Y510P
Topic Starter

HalfW wrote:

- I see that your osu! version is cutting edge, which is not really stable. Try going back to stable version.
- From my own experience, using the integrated graphic instead solves the problem. I just looked up and saw that your msi has an i7 8750H, which has an Intel UHD 630.
Don't worry, I have a much weaker laptop with i3 7130U and Intel HD 620, and it runs 240fps with ~1ms in gameplays.

Thank you so much for responding! I tried cutting edge to see if it would work (It didn't). The problem originally happened on stable though. Also, I tried integrated but its still being capped, I feel like there is some sort of program limiting this (I have unlimited on osu). Do you have an idea on what would do this?
Edit: when I use integrated graphics, my game runs at 40 fps, any idea why?
Death
You are stuck on 60fps both in the menu/song select and in-game, right? The FPS counter switches to hz when you start playing a map with your frame limiter set to unlimited, sometimes that confuses people.

Here's a whole list of possible solutions I've gathered over the past while from people who were experiencing similar issues:
  1. Hit F7 in-game until your frame limiter says "Unlimited (Gameplay)"
  2. Restart your computer
  3. Plug in your laptop (if you are using one)
  4. Make sure any graphics card/GPU power settings are set to their maximum performance option
  5. Close any programs you have running in the background that you don't need to have open for your computer to function properly
  6. Disable fullscreen optimizations in your osu!.exe properties (if you are using full screen)
  7. Disable Windows game DVR and game bar
  8. Update or reinstall graphics drivers (both integrated and dedicated if applicable)
  9. Disable programs like "EVGA Precision X" or "MSI Afterburner" (these should be included in the "anything your computer doesn't need to run properly" section)
Topic Starter
I tried compatibility mode and it gave me my ms back but I have more dropped frames?
Can someone explain this.
HalfW

Resiu wrote:

I tried compatibility mode and it gave me my ms back but I have more dropped frames?

Compatibility mode makes osu! treat your computer like an old toaster, while yours is obviously not. It tweaks some settings that fit the old systems from like 2007 or sth.
Death

HalfW wrote:

Resiu wrote:

Compatibility mode makes osu! treat your computer like an old toaster, while yours is obviously not. It tweaks some settings that fit the old systems from like 2007 or sth.
Uh... no. Compatibility mode causes the game to use Google's ANGLE as a renderer which translates OpenGL graphics calls to Direct3D, essentially making the game use Direct3D as a renderer.
HalfW

Death wrote:

HalfW wrote:

Resiu wrote:

Uh... no. Compatibility mode causes the game to use Google's ANGLE as a renderer which translates OpenGL graphics calls to Direct3D, essentially making the game use Direct3D as a renderer.

Sorry about that, and thank you for correcting.
Topic Starter
I feel like i'm trading performance with ms. With comp. mode I get 40 - 50 fps and lag spikes. My old setup gives me 17ms but it runs smoothly, what do I do? :?
Death
Did you actually try the other things that I posted? Right after my post you just said you enabled compatibility mode and have made no indication that you actually tried what I said.
Topic Starter
(Woops) Yea I did, but my fps and ms are consistently the same though.

Edit: I found what was happening!

I found out that I had Intel graphics settings so I scrolled around to try and find something and it turns out it had v-sync!

In the 3d settings under the "select application" area there was a option for v sync. I had mine at "use driver setting" which apparently had it turned on. I checked the option above that "Use application defualt" and it worked wonders!