forum

[Archived] Slow Download of Beatmaps from OSU servers

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Franchouchou
Problem details:
I have a problem that have persisted for months. I only decided to ask the forums because normally, it lasted for a day or 2. However, now its been forever occurring since the start of this week.

Basically as the title implies, downloading of beat maps is extremely slow for OSU. And it's just this game and nothing else. As I am from Singapore, we have ultra fast internet speed and I have always check, its only just this game that I have connection issues.

Its a problem for me as I like to play multi and people will definitely not wait for a few mins just for me to download a map (that's how slow it is). It takes like 0.5mb for every 3-5 secs. This also apply for osu direct download too.

Solutions I tried:
Using Bloodcat (hardly any change)
Using a different browser, Firefox and Edge (no change), using Chrome as main
Resetting internet wifi router and modem (no change)
Clear cookies and files (no change)

I am wondering if there's a problem that I am not aware the OSU servers have or its something Singapore is located at. Or if anyone can advise me on anything else, that would be great.

Below is the screenshot below of how terrible it is.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://imgur.com/a/CEQaKFy

osu! version: Stable 20190410 (latest)
Death
For one, Bloodcat uses completely different servers to re-host beatmaps, so if that doesn't change your download speed at all, then it probably isn't just related to osu!'s servers.

But just in case, try running these commands in an elevated command prompt to see if they help you at all:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
Topic Starter
Franchouchou
Thank you for the quick reply.

I've tried and it gave me the result that I wasn't expecting.

The first command made my my Laptop disconnected to my home Wifi Router automatically. I have to reconnect my PC a few seconds later manually.

While for the 2nd command did not do anything.
Rather these 2:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Gave me this exact result:

No operation can be performed on VPN - VPN Client while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Ethernet while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 14 while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 4 while it has its media disconnected.

The rest after that basically states that each of the above media are disconnected and hence no further reaction are taken.
An example of such as the Ethernet but applies to the other 3 too.

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Only the 3rd command gave me this:

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Actually I would wondering if theres any CDN issues for OSU? I wonder if servers covers Singapore at all.
May I know what are the purpose of these commands? At least I have an idea of what to look around. Just started being a CS student this month so I can understand a bit.
Apologise for asking a lot. It's just I find it weird that I have a server problem like this.
Death
Again, you mentioned Bloodcat also gives you issues, so I'd find it hard to believe that this is only an issue with your connection to osu!'s servers as Bloodcat isn't even an official download site (it uses completely different servers). If anything, I'm pretty sure your ISP can theoretically slow down downloads for certain file types and/or some AV software you have installed could potentially be slowing down the apparent download speed for them as well. While I obviously can't say for sure that either of those things are causing issues for you, it seems plausible.

The messages you are receiving when you run those first few commands are generally expected and pretty much explain themselves. I'm assuming you don't have those things enabled/connected.

As for what these commands actually do, there are plenty of resources online that explain them better than I can summarize most likely. Even the Ipconfig Wikipedia page has a short explanation for them.

Also I'd like to add that I haven't really seen any reports recently of people from Singapore saying their download speeds are slow. And as you said yourself, you weren't having issues before.
MisakiTobisawa-
My download speeds are slow too which I noticed while downloading maps to mod. I doubt it's M1 or any service provider since my download speeds are fine on other sites. I don't know anything either. It's also been affecting me for a few weeks now. I just decided to let it be, not really a huge issue for me.

Death wrote:

If anything, I'm pretty sure your ISP can theoretically slow down downloads for certain file types

If his ISP is also M1 it might be the issue then
(I was stupid. I forgot I recently changed to M1 from Singtel. Maybe it really is our ISP)
Topic Starter
Franchouchou

Death wrote:

Again, you mentioned Bloodcat also gives you issues, so I'd find it hard to believe that this is only an issue with your connection to osu!'s servers as Bloodcat isn't even an official download site (it uses completely different servers). If anything, I'm pretty sure your ISP can theoretically slow down downloads for certain file types and/or some AV software you have installed could potentially be slowing down the apparent download speed for them as well. While I obviously can't say for sure that either of those things are causing issues for you, it seems plausible.

Also I'd like to add that I haven't really seen any reports recently of people from Singapore saying their download speeds are slow. And as you said yourself, you weren't having issues before.
Alright I'll look around. Maybe indeed its my my ISP just bad and connecting and downloading OSU files in general. Thanks a lot so far.

KotoriIsMyWaifu wrote:

My download speeds are slow too which I noticed while downloading maps to mod. I doubt it's M1 or any service provider since my download speeds are fine on other sites. I don't know anything either. It's also been affecting me for a few weeks now. I just decided to let it be, not really a huge issue for me.

If his ISP is also M1 it might be the issue then

(I was stupid. I forgot I recently changed to M1 from Singtel. Maybe it really is our ISP)
Yeah maybe its just our providers I suppose. But I am using Starhub though. Same problem as you regardless.

Generally how long does it take for you to download an average beatmap size of 5mb? Usually take me like 3-5mins.

Still this helps knowing that it is a factor I didn't consider. Something I have to remain stuck with forever I guess.
Wolvix
Hi, it's slow for me too. Always getting 30kb/s to 70kb/s from both osu and bloodcat mirror. I'm on M1 too, using wifi (fiber broadband).

However, if I download using mobile data (M1), the speed is fast. Not exactly sure what is wrong.

Edit: I used vpn to connect to Singapore location, tried downloading beatmaps, and it's insanely fast. 3mb downloaded in 2sec.
Topic Starter
Franchouchou

Wolvix wrote:

Edit: I used vpn to connect to Singapore location, tried downloading beatmaps, and it's insanely fast. 3mb downloaded in 2sec.

What kind of VPN do you use? I use my usual few VPNs that I use for other games but it provide no changes at all for Osu.
Wolvix

HecaRyou wrote:

Wolvix wrote:

What kind of VPN do you use? I use my usual few VPNs that I use for other games but it provide no changes at all for Osu.

NordVPN. And I tested it on Firefox instead of Chrome. Not sure if it affects

Edit: Just tested on Chrome using vpn. Equally fast too.
Edit 2: Just checked the isp when using vpn. It stated "ISP: UK Web.Solutions Direct Ltd". Maybe our isp is really the problem?
Topic Starter
Franchouchou

Wolvix wrote:

NordVPN. And I tested it on Firefox instead of Chrome. Not sure if it affects

Edit: Just tested on Chrome using vpn. Equally fast too.
Edit 2: Just checked the isp when using vpn. It stated "ISP: UK Web.Solutions Direct Ltd". Maybe our isp is really the problem?

Noted. Thank you. I will try that one.
Parax_UnDeath
sup. kinda got bad download speed too. but kinda just in osu with osu direct. when i download from the website its done in under 2 sec.

idk what to do anymore. allready tryd ipconfig stuff. still same connection issue :(