forum

Help: How to get better at osu

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
EmperorBB
Hello guys, I am somewhat new to this (joined 1 month ago), and I am having a problem getting better at this game, I've reached level 31 and I still can only 'Complete' 1-4 stars map, I simply can't complete every map that has a 5 stars difficulty rating, I get a B and C and fail 80% of the times, how do I get better?
I've got S/SS on nearly every 1-3 stars map.
DPI: 2400
osu res. : 1024x768 Windowed
Mouse settings: default, with mouse acceleration disabled from REGEDIT
I also use Z/X for clicking and the mouse for moving, obviously.
Thanks in advance.
tyrael6192
Don't play to improve, play for fun... find songs you like, play maps that are enjoyable and get into the rhythm, and somewhere down the line, maybe without even noticing, you'll improve. ^^
Sorun
Play Count: 1,510
You need to play more and you have only been playing for a month, you should give it another few months before you get up to the harder maps.

tyrael6192 wrote:

Don't play to improve, play for fun... find songs you like, play maps that are enjoyable and get into the rhythm, and somewhere down the line, maybe without even noticing, you'll improve. ^^
Something like this
Lance
Get a tablet and play like cookiezi

Practice
Burr
Practice lots of practice
Make sure to play songs that challenge you even if you fail keep at it, you'll eventually get better and able to adapt to higher speeds and trick patterns.
You won't learn much from playing something that doesn't challenge you.

And most important have fun.

This is what worked for me and I've gotten a lot better over time.
JAKACHAN
If you want to improve here's a little list of things you can do:

1. Have fun with what you're playing. Don't play to improve but play in a way that you have fun!
2. Don't give up just keep at it practice makes perfect.
3. If you absolutely want to improve as fast as possible play insane maps that you can just barely pass, but make sure you still are having fun.
4. Don't play the same map over and over. Try to download new maps every chance you get so you can expand your maplist and challenge yourself with different mapping styles.

Overall, don't judge yourself by level or playcount. Some people have super high playcounts but can't beat the hardest maps because they never challenged themselves or they just don't have fun and actually play just to get good. Also, don't doubt yourself because the more doubt you have the better chance you have to fail at something or end up giving up.

Good luck with the game though and I hope you keep on at it :]
XGeneral2000

JAKACHAN wrote:

If you want to improve here's a little list of things you can do:

1. Have fun with what you're playing. Don't play to improve but play in a way that you have fun!
2. Don't give up just keep at it practice makes perfect.
3. If you absolutely want to improve as fast as possible play insane maps that you can just barely pass, but make sure you still are having fun.
4. Don't play the same map over and over. Try to download new maps every chance you get so you can expand your maplist and challenge yourself with different mapping styles.

Overall, don't judge yourself by level or playcount. Some people have super high playcounts but can't beat the hardest maps because they never challenged themselves or they just don't have fun and actually play just to get good. Also, don't doubt yourself because the more doubt you have the better chance you have to fail at something or end up giving up.

Good luck with the game though and I hope you keep on at it :]
And

Sorun wrote:

Play Count: 1,510
You need to play more and you have only been playing for a month, you should give it another few months before you get up to the harder maps.
After just a month and 1.5k PC, you can't really expect to be able to be playing the hard stuff. Don't play osu! with the explicit purpose of getting better. Not only will you get discouraged, but you won't have fun, and you're more likely to ragequit osu! altogether. Just play what's both fun and challenging, and you will naturally get better. Eventually, you'll realize you're playing songs that you couldn't even hope to pass before. There's no trick to getting better, besides playing and having fun.
G0r

Ahmad Nadheer wrote:

Hello guys, I am somewhat new to this (joined 1 month ago), and I am having a problem getting better at this game, I've reached level 31 and I still can only 'Complete' 1-4 stars map, I simply can't complete every map that has a 5 stars difficulty rating, I get a B and C and fail 80% of the times, how do I get better?
I've got S/SS on nearly every 1-3 stars map.
osu res. : 1024x768 Windowed
Mouse settings: default, with mouse acceleration disabled from REGEDIT
I also use Z/X for clicking and the mouse for moving, obviously.
Thanks in advance.
It is absolutely not obvious that you would play this way, since it is not the only way that good or great players play. Plenty of players click their mouse, and there are even a few tablet players that tap. It sounds a bit pretentious when you put it this way, though it's true that the style of play that you use is the most common.

As for getting better... Your settings are fine, but if you want more control of your mouse, which you may need to handle higher speeds, then consider a lower DPI. I'd recommend not using a DPI above 1600, and I'd suggest using one not above 1000. Your DPI is far too high, in my opinion. Do not change DPI often.

If you like the play style that you are using now, then you might consider trying a tablet. It's great for the Z/X playstyle, and many players find that they like it better than mouse. This is not true for all, though!

Practice on a wide variety of maps. You should probably try at least one new map a day. Don't keep wasting your time trying to beat a difficult map unless you feel that you are near to success. You will not get better by playing maps that are too difficult for your skill level. This is a common misconception that leads to a lot of head aches. Do, however, keep trying those insane level maps that you're probably finding difficult. Don't become scared of them and only play lower difficulties. If you keep playing more and more maps, then you will find that some match your skills perfectly, and while you're beating those maps you will learn the skills that you still need to beat others. Eventually you'll come back to those old maps and find yourself beating them like they were nothing. It's the real reward of practice in osu that the impossible becomes possible when you're not expecting it!

Don't be afraid to give some mods a try when you've beaten a map really well. I'd suggest waiting until you can do insanes for this, though, since it can discourage you. Playing with mods is hard, but they can help your accuracy a ton, simply because they help you practice one are or another more acutely than you might otherwise. Hidden, for instance, is great for internal rhythm.

If you play a lot, then there is nothing that can stop you from getting better. If you don't, then it will take a while. Keep practicing, and remember that having fun is the most important skill needed!
Frizz
Play some more
Sorun

G0r wrote:

I'd recommend not using a DPI above 1600, and I'd suggest using one not above 1000. Your DPI is far too high, in my opinion. Do not change DPI often.
I just wanted to clear this up, did you mean not going above 1600 and not going below 1000? Or did you mean to stay at or below 1000?
Wishy
Learn to use the search function, there are about a trillion threads like this.
sCam
download a lot of beatmap packs, and play them all, try to do your best everytime, but don't play the map more than 3 times. just move on, and go back to it later if you can't pass it.

Try to look for improvement over 1-2 weeks time, and then you'll have to look for improvement over months. I find it's harder to improve the better you get, but make sure you're playing fun maps, and songs you like too.

SPOILER
Also try multiplaying with Japanese/Koreans
higurush

sCam wrote:

SPOILER
Also try multiplaying with Japanese/Koreans
What to do after defeating them? ._. (of course solo practising)
epic pros just rarely show up
G0r

Sorun wrote:

I just wanted to clear this up, did you mean not going above 1600 and not going below 1000? Or did you mean to stay at or below 1000?
I guess it is a little confusing. I was trying to strongly suggest that he not use more than 1600, and also recommend that I think he should use 1000 or below in my opinion (I would use no higher than 1000).
tyrael6192
Also, one of the things you shouldn't do is play for ranks... aim to beat your own scores bit by bit rather than those of others. For about a year my school's firewall blocked osu!'s connection, so I just played offline and measured myself against my own high scores. It's a much better way to grasp the game and your own capacity, and there's no point trying to compare yourself to veterans/etc.

As for improving on certain maps, you can watch a replay or maybe have the Auto mod play it for you and look at the parts where you screw up. Sometimes a pattern is confusing and hard to follow, or you just lose rhythm, and this helps you understand what's going on and what you're missing. Playing the map on Half-time can be a bit boring, but helpful in the same way as the above. I wouldn't recommend the Easy mod, as most of the time it actually increases difficulty, i find, especially on maps with lots of notes.

Some of the old beatmap packs have maps that are somewhat more difficult for all the wrong reasons - small circles, etc. - so I would honestly just recommend browsing through recently ranked/most played/highest rates maps. These are often much more playable and much more enjoyable. Moreover, as has been stated, every mapper has a different style and thus a different scale of difficulty within their mapsets. To get a more accurate understanding of your current skill level you should branch out and play a huge variety of maps. Don't take the star rating system to mean too much outside of a rough scale. One mapset's 5-star can be inexplicably more difficult than another's, and you should try the harder difficulties yourself in order to get a grip of what you're comfortable with. :)
akrolsmir
FC the hardest maps that you can FC (right now 4.5ish?), and try to gradually raise the difficulty.
Evanlet
If you want to improve, don't waste your time on easy maps. Start and stay on 5 star maps only.
That's my advice, not the advice of some guy who talks alot and thus everyone thinks hes good, yet can't play for shit (so many people, no offense).
tyrael6192
Unfortunately, not everyone here is as naturally talented as this guy... i know when i first started I couldn't S anything for shit and had to quit for about 3 months before coming back and actually eventually improving just a tiny bit. Go at your own pace, not what other people tell you to.
Ephemeral
just play the god damn game. play it because you enjoy it, not because you want to get good at it. if you want acclaim and prestige, head somewhere else.
thelewa

Ephemeral wrote:

just play the god damn game. play it because you enjoy it, not because you want to get good at it. if you want acclaim and prestige, head somewhere else.
^

I've wasted so much time playing the game just trying to get better, only to find out that I actually improve faster when I forget about wanting to improve and just play for fun
RaneFire
FUN FIRST. Whatever you played is meaningless later in life, only good for 5 seconds of conversation with friends over a few drinks.

Trying to get fame in a computer game is a complete waste of time, once you quit, you disappear from people's minds SO QUICKLY. New players join, old players leave. I hardly know any of the old pro's, I stumbled upon threads about "who were previous #1's" or something like that before I even knew that some of the old pro's were still playing. 1-5% of active gamers read forums anyway. And even then, these old pro's do not even care anymore about such things as how famous they were, and you are no exception.

Gamer fame is a disease, don't catch it.
mukyuuhikuu
Usually what i do is just stick to one beatmap and play it when i want too and get better,but you gotta remember not to be a try-hard or anything,
that will just make you fail more at Osu then you want,
here is a attempt of me playing the beatmap im practicing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Nom4mhC2g
KinkiN

Ephemeral wrote:

If they really enjoy this game, would they bother to get better? if people really enjoy this game they'll just keep playing, and getting better without even knowing it i think

And how to get better? Practice makes perfect, but this world isn't fair. There are people who already lvl 99 but can't FC some hard map, but there are ppl who still lvl 80 and they already done FC'ing some insane map. The point is : practice and knowing what is your limit. That's for me.
gameon123321
Well, everybody says, "play those hard maps" or "get better stuff". I think they are both good, but I think that I can add a bit.

Play multiplayer, with those hard maps.
It's OK to fail in multiplayer, and you can just keep going.
You also discover many songs that you wouldn't otherwise know.

If you don't want to play multiplayer (or you're in a rush to get better):

Are you playing with your sight or your rhythm?
If you can't tell, try going into edit mode, turning an easy song's approach rate to 8 or 9, and then playing it. If you can't play it, then practice clapping to the beat. Sure, if someone happens to stumble upon you while you're doing this to some random Chinese song, then it will make you look weird, but it improves your rhythm.
If you think you're playing with rhythm, turn a normal map's overall difficulty to 8 or 9, and it's approach rate up 1 or 2. If you can play it, you're good with the rhythm. If not, then turn up a couple maps to there and keep playing those.

Also, you might want to make sure you can play with small circles.
Try going to a different easy song, turning the circle size to 6 or 7, and playing it. If you have trouble, then turn it and a couple map's circle size to 4 or 5, and play 1 of those until it gets easy. Then, turn the maps to 6 or 7, and play those. Finally, once you're OK, turn a few normal maps' circle size to 6 or 7, and play those.

Don't worry about the HP drain. There isn't much you can do about it, except get better at playing osu in general (which I hope I can help you do by improving every part).

One more thing: DON'T PLAY EASY (both easy maps and the difficulty changer) WHEN YOU WARM UP! I cannot give an explanation, except that jumping from an easy map to a hard one is, well, insane.
Topic Starter
EmperorBB
LOL why did you bump this thread?
hinamizawan
practicepracticepracticepracticepracticepracticepractice*getamechkb*practicepracticepracticepractice*getatablet*practicepracticepracticepractice

edit: my bad didn't see it was bumped
Lust
Play new beatmaps then try to play older ones, the mapping style is vastly different and you'll pick up timing and movement.
TocoToucan

Ahmad Nadheer wrote:

If you aren't going to buy a tablet soon, you should try to play with low dpi(800 dpi). If you aren't able to play 800 dpi right off, you can low it little by little.
Kanye West
don't necrobump pointless threads.

also: t/99612
Topic Starter
EmperorBB
Well this post is nearly 1 year old, just as some people said, I am playing it for fun and I improved a lot over the past few months, I can now get A/B on Insane maps and FC Hard maps with Hidden/Hardrock, using 600 dpi with mouse at the moment and will get my Wacom Tablet soon.
Thanks for the tips guys, now, can we close this?
thelewa
No. This will stay open forever.
[Luxord]
You should just feel the music. By the time, you'll get used into higher difficulties. There are no ways to "get good" than just play ;)
Aquamarine
How to get better at this beautiful game? Easy as pie.
Don't be self defeating. Don't get discouraged. Have fun.
I will assume that at one point, every player in there Osu carrer will believe they are not improving. Three months later even; still same thoughts from them. No, you are getting better, k.

All with all things in life, it's all about the mindset.
buny
you get better by playing better

and you play better by practicing

alsogravedig
thelewa

Aquamarine wrote:

How to get better at this beautiful game? Easy as pie.
Don't be self defeating. Don't get discouraged. Have fun.
I will assume that at one point, every player in there Osu carrer will believe they are not improving. Three months later even; still same thoughts from them. No, you are getting better, k.
Appreciate the beauty of the circles and you will become the bestest player in the world
Emerald773
Play The really hard maps and use the NO FAIL mod. That always helps me.
Hello Skitty

thelewa wrote:

No. This will stay open forever.
Omg he was right
Lapis-
prophetlewa
Yarissa
The not so surprising answer: practice. It's in every thread, lurk a little before making a new thread
silmarilen
i like how you give a serious answer
show more