forum

[Modding Puzzles Compilation] Test your modding skills!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Electoz
Hello!

First of all, thanks to Mao, Monstrata, and pishifat for making this Modding Puzzles Compilation possible!
(I also wish this thread won't be pushed down soon after so a pin would be nice as well, since I hope that this thread will be useful enough)

Q: So, what is Modding Puzzles Compilation then?
A: Basically a compilation of Modding Puzzles

Q: And what is a Modding Puzzle?
A: Modding Puzzles are basically beatmaps created with intentional flaws/errors. And you, as a modder - have to test your modding skills by finding as many of them as you can.

Instructions and other things should be more or less clear enough in the sheet itself.
With enough introduction, here's the link (which you can also access from my userpage):

>>http://bit.ly/Modding_Puzzle<<

(bit.ly for statistical reasons, if you are that paranoid you can ask the Google Sheet link from me personally instead)

Personally, I do hope that this modding puzzle will help newer modders get a general direction that how modding could be done in perspective of those who were previously (or still are) BNs/QATs. Therefore I have compiled these modding puzzles (which previously were not in use anymore) so they will not be forgotten again and can be pernamently used by anyone to improve their modding skills.

I think that's all what I wanted to say, have fun modding!

PS. This modding puzzles compilation includes the answers of previous BN tests (which some modders are highly looking forward to)
dennischan
Uh I seem to have found an error on one of monstrata's modding puzzles (Puzzle 10).
Spoilers

Puzzle 10 anwser key (trap no.5) wrote:

Yes, you are correct, there seems to be a delay on this hitsound (soft-hitfinish), but this is known as a reverse hitsound where the sound begins at zero and gets louder, like a crescendo.

These are one of the exceptions to the hitsound delay rule.

However, the current ranking criteria states

Ranking Critera wrote:

All clicked objects must have audible active hit sounds or active hitnormal samples. Active hit sounds cannot have a delay more than 5 milliseconds.

The hitsound that the anwser key was talking about was the soft-hitfinish in the FOUR DIMENSIONS difficulty. It's used at the very last object, a circle in the map. As a hitsound on a circle is an Active hit sound, it must also have no delay.

Uhh so I should get extra marks for pointing that out

Edit: Also monstrata's storyboard on that puzzle crashed my osu! but that's not explicity unrankable
xenal
Spoiler box because Electoz likes them :3 (reply to dennis)
Mhm... there isn't any "delay". It is indeed simply a hitsound that was reversed. The begenning actually do have sound, it's just really quiet and not realised because of the large sound just after (and doesn't fit the song at all wtf).

Open it and you'll see the first place I see where it actually started is around 1,04ms (I say I see because I just opened it in audacity and not checked the actual data to find the first number different than 0)
Topic Starter
Electoz
Reply to posts above (spoiler)
hmm I think with current RC it's probably worth debating.

But previously there were cases where hitsounds are used as additional effects to the song and not just some replica of instrument, personally as a BN I think it's fine for now.

Though would be nice if you use spoilerbox or at least put black bars on them when posting since you might spoil other people reading the replies.
dennischan
bumping since this is a cool resource, more people should see it