forum

Permatoggles for skin/sb/bg; Hit Circle Color Changeable [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2
Topic Starter
Yarissa
If this is a duplicate request (I didn't see any others active) go ahead and lock it down.

My request was addressing the recent changes that Peppy said he was not willing to change on no matter what. Now before this get's deleting like my ranting in the new build thread, I want you to give us a chance to show how many players support the changes I am proposing. Even if you are not willing to change it regardless of how much support this thread get I think it would be a good opportunity for administration to see who all thinks the changes could still be more satisfactory.

With the current changes all we are able to dim our backgrounds is 90%. There are still things distracting players like me who only want to focus on basic gameplay mechanics, which is why so many of us seem to be choleric about the dimmed background. Not only is it a pain in the butt to toggle the skin/ sb/ and dim the background at the beginning of every map but it remains hard to play if hitcircles are dark.

So my suggestions are to make the background more dimmable (if you changed it to 100%, I would love you forever.) Or a permatoggle on skins/sb/bg to where we would STILL have to play through it once, but wouldn't have to bother toggling it every time. And lastly, some way of changing the colors of the map's hit circles to account for dark hit circles on a dark background.

I know you're probably not willing to follow up on any of these suggestions and will probably just delete this post before even reading it. But I'd like to at least have an opportunity to see what portion of the community is still not satisfied with the changes as is or has qualms regarding to the playability of the current build.

Tl;dr: This thread is a chance for us to see how many people would like to see more changes to the current build. Suggestions include hit circle color changes, permatoggles for distracting elements, and a bg dimmer that goes up to 100%.
Ohrami
Joke's on you. No skilled players actually browse the forums or get themselves involved with the community.
YodaSnipe
Sadly as much as all this makes sense, kyou-kun is pretty right about most skilled players not browsing the forums. On top of that I think forcing PLAYER'S default BG is prolly the best solution over dimming.
winber1
As for me, I pretty much always leave the background on anyways so it doesn't really affect me, even the storyboard too. The current changes really haven't affected me all that much. So basically my current needs do not call for what you are asking.

However, I don't mind seeing the changes. I wouldn't mind improving the toggles, but I am actually satisfied.

Kaoru wrote:

And lastly, some way of changing the colors of the map's hit circles to account for dark hit circles on a dark background.
Get a better skin? :x I don't seem to have a problem at all with this. Only sometimes when the background is detailed and has all sorts of random colors does the background actually affect me a bit, but not when it's dark. Or maybe it's just me
Kurokami
You got the current stuffs and now you want more. I wonder when it will be enough. o.o I never want to use this toggle event tho my computer is sucks, yes I get lagg from some SB, but if I unable to play because of the fucking SB I just delete the whole map.

I'm happy with this toggle because it gives opportunity to able to play maps with dflghrioani SB like this: http://osu.ppy.sh/s/24960

But I'm unable to play w/o bg even if I turn the SB off I still need bg. I hate to see the black nothing, its annoying.
Sakura
t/89518

peppy wrote:

No
I'd agree with hitcircle colors tho, i've seen mappers go and put the colors from their bgs in their hitcircles, and seems like im the only one around here that cares about doing the exact opposite, colors that contrast them.
Topic Starter
Yarissa

winber1 wrote:

As for me, I pretty much always leave the background on anyways so it doesn't really affect me, even the storyboard too. The current changes really haven't affected me all that much. So basically my current needs do not call for what you are asking.

However, I don't mind seeing the changes. I wouldn't mind improving the toggles, but I am actually satisfied.

Kaoru wrote:

And lastly, some way of changing the colors of the map's hit circles to account for dark hit circles on a dark background.
Get a better skin? :x I don't seem to have a problem at all with this. Only sometimes when the background is detailed and has all sorts of random colors does the background actually affect me a bit, but not when it's dark. Or maybe it's just me
Lighter backgrounds actually look better with my skin because my approach circles are outlined in black. It's for the sake of noticing them faster. Since I won't be able to replace backgrounds with a grey/ white one anymore I suggested that for sake of convenience. Also, I have no problems playing with dark hitcircles when it's on hidden.

The biggest change I want apart from the hit circles is the permatoggle. It's inconvenient to pause the map (which you can't even do in multiplayer, so multiplayer is 0 fun now) just so I can toggle the skin/ sb and dim it. If we could set our preferences beforehand AND still have to play through the map once... well, that would be brilliantly convenient.
bwross
II suggested in another thread that dimming should really be more of an increase in contrast... the background dims, but the circle colours get brightened a little (not as much). Otherwise, dimming can actually be counter productive by making the circles blend in more. Part of the problem is the way things are coloured... you can add black to approach circles to see pastels on pastels better, but you can't add white to make dark purple/blue/grey more seeable on black (hit circles don't have that problem because they have an overlay you can use to add a white rim).

I did use the turn off skin already to help with a map that used bright coloured circles on a similar background... it helped quite a lot, because the map skin in that case was using razor thin approach circles which made the issue worse, and my skin intentionally has slightly thicker ones exactly for this reason. Still, it would be nice if there was at least some small recourse for the dark background issues.
mm201
I like the idea of overriding with the skin's backdrop instead of dimming.
Changing the number of colours used could cause lame effects like the same colour being used twice.
Sonez_old
100% support being able to change hit circle color, wayyyy to many maps with purple/black hit circles on dark background. I usually just delete them ;/
ziin

mm201 wrote:

I like the idea of overriding with the skin's backdrop instead of dimming.
Changing the number of colours used could cause lame effects like the same colour being used twice.
Solution:
make "ignore skin" toggle actually ignore all skin related information about the map except for number of colours.

The only people who use the ignore skin toggle are those who have a hard time seeing black on black or white on white anyway.
Kurokami
Okay, I kinda misunderstood the request. Thanks to Kyou-kun for opening my eyes.

So, i took a look at the dim meter and i think even if it will goes up to 100%, the bg still not be black. If someone used black bg for a long time, this dim will be not enough to him/her. I did a fast image about this, I think this will much better to the users who are used black bg until now:

Anyways, this time I'm correcting myself and support this request.
(I'm unable to use better language right now, since I'm kinda sleepy now. I hope its good enough for understanding.)
thelewa

Sakura wrote:

I'd agree with hitcircle colors tho, i've seen mappers go and put the colors from their bgs in their hitcircles, and seems like im the only one around here that cares about doing the exact opposite, colors that contrast them.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Isn't it even in the rules that the combo colours need to contrast the BG to ensure playability? I don't even know anymore...
peppy
I will likely be adding a colour-blind mode which forces usable circle colours. Permanent toggles will never be added, so don't bother with that.
Ohrami
Why won't permanent toggles or 100% BG toggles be added? With that and a colorblind mode, pretty much every player would be satisfied (though I'll still be a bit mad that I can't add custom videos/BGs to my beatmaps).
peppy
Because I am alteady exceeding my comfort zone with these toggles being implemented. If you can't put up with the map's default presentation ONCE then just don't play it. End of story. No more threads. No exceptions. The end.