forum

Advice needed: I move too fast...

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DutchEllie
Hi everyone,

I have noticed that I suck at osu!, basically... So I decided to record my gameplay and see what it is that I do wrong the most. After careful analysis by going frame by frame in the video I quickly saw that the big problem is me moving too fast. Especially in jumps of 3 or more, (so all jumps basically) I seem to have the tendency to move too quickly to the next circle. I do get my aim over it, but I notice I click too late, too early or not at all for some reason. The not clicking I can work on, but I cannot seem to figure out how to slow down.

I mainly play 4 star maps, going into 5 star occasionally. I also started to mingle with DT a bit lately. Now I am sure this is a common problem everyone faces, so I ask: how can I fix this. I know playing more is the key to it all in the end, but I don't want to enforce this habit permanently, which it might already be.
Thanks in advance for any responses!
mulraf
this is probably the forum you were looking for.

anyways. as long as you time your clicks right and aim correctly i don't really see a problem with moving to the next circle too fast :o but usually playing more of what you're bad at makes you better at that. so i would say dt is probably counter-productive and maybe you should rather play low bpm and/or low(er) ar.
but again. if you just snap to the next circle really fast, then wait until you have to click it and click it at the correct them, then do the same thing for the next circle - i don't see a problem. it oculd mean that you'll have an easier time later on or that you might just be more talented with high bpm / high ar (/ dt / hr).
(oh and no, not everyone faces this. but yeah, i did read this a few times already and i think it is somewhat common)
Topic Starter
DutchEllie

mulraf wrote:

this is probably the forum you were looking for.

anyways. as long as you time your clicks right and aim correctly i don't really see a problem with moving to the next circle too fast :o but usually playing more of what you're bad at makes you better at that. so i would say dt is probably counter-productive and maybe you should rather play low bpm and/or low(er) ar.
but again. if you just snap to the next circle really fast, then wait until you have to click it and click it at the correct them, then do the same thing for the next circle - i don't see a problem. it oculd mean that you'll have an easier time later on or that you might just be more talented with high bpm / high ar (/ dt / hr).

I have continued playing after making the post (also, yeah whoops wrong forum, couldn't find it earlier) and I have just tried to relax and it kind of worked. Except that for some reason I cannot get a combo higher than 300 consistently. I have interface so I don't see my combo, but it does not matter. I don't have to know I am at 300 combo, I just miss in the 300rds, always. On occasion I get higher, like 500 or sometimes even higher, but it's rare. I get really frustrated at that, so it makes it harder to relax. Anyway, I also need to up my stamina, as I have gone through my collections thoroughly and found that I have WAY too many TV Size maps, or maps under 2 minutes.. Also noticed that I tend to miss a lot right after the chorus (just where a TV Size map would end) on longer maps, so I think that is just a stamina problem. Anyway, thanks for your help, I will definitely try lower bpm songs, even though I don't particularly like the maps. Guess that's why I am bad at them; I never play them. What sort of bpm do you recommend?
Rikii
Try to listen to the beat and play more, I guess?

It's not entirely the same but I noticed the other day on my hit error bar that I always click the circles too early, so I tried to change the universal offset a little bit and voilà, my acc got a bit better and I hit 300 more frequently nowadays. Maybe try that.

DutchEllie wrote:

What sort of bpm do you recommend?

People have their own taste, I personally like 200+ bpm like. I just like the feeling of single tapping those circle and moving my cursor fast. Here are some of my favs:

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/416153#osu/972691
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/483885#osu/1348158
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/484532#osu/1047758

But I like to play around 180 bpm too. There are a lot of beatmaps out there and you should try them out, eventually you will find your cup of tea.

DutchEllie wrote:

I know playing more is the key to it all in the end, but I don't want to enforce this habit permanently, which it might already be.

NEVER think about yourself like this. It will just demotivate you and you will believe that you are a bad player can never improve, which is wrong.
Juuuuuuuuul
Snapping on circles as soon as you can is not a bad habit, the bad habit is to clic as soon as your cursor is on the circles.
(Watch some top players playing low AR)

To fix this, play maps that will allow you to snap way before the clic is needed (usualy low AR or BPM or old-style maps), listen closely to the music to sync your clics, lower the hitsounds volume if needed (but not too much).

Or you can ignore this issue by playing only high AR stuff but doing that, the more you'll read correctlly an AR, the more this issue will come back, and you'll have to up again the AR.
(Remember that if focusing on snap-aim is usefull for jumpy maps, don't forget about flow-aim)

Now about your "short combo" issue, i think the best you can do is to spam 5 or more minutes maps, try to get your 2000 combo achievement.
The key is focus, try to not loose focus as long as you can.
Fealthas
Korilak talks about this problem in his guide. Might wanna give it a try :)

" If you find that you are missing notes due to imbalance between the timing of your tap and
your cursor movement, try to keep your eyes on the note until the very last moment where you
have hit it. This may feel weird if you haven't done this before, making your eyes strain a bit more.
Over time, this will break the habit of leaving the note too early with your cursor and eventually your
coordination between your tap and movement will become natural to the point where you don't
need to actively think about eyeing down notes."

Full guide link here in case youre interested: https://puu.sh/unB20/caee7b883d.pdf