1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Development
  4. Ranking Criteria
show more
posted
allowing both the original and remix would be really cool imo if not full size too.
posted
the speedrank war will happen, with or without this rule anyway. and i only see more downside of having the same content back to back more than one at a time
posted
speedrank war would be way less impactful because instead of your set getting potentially pushed back a week, they would only be pushed back the amount of time you were late.

again, this isn't so much about the complete elimination of speedrank wars but about making it evident that all DQs by BNs are done in good faith rather than because of ulterior motives (pushing their own or a friend's set), because dqs would no longer impact speedrank wars as significantly
posted
Personally I'm against it because I do think throwing the same song into qualified all at the same time is oversaturation. Think of the amount of times we could be seeing <Insert new popular anime OP here> in the course of a few days. There's nothing wrong with waiting and apart from speedrank wars (which shouldn't really be a reason to change RC), the rule isn't that faulty.

However, I do think that differentiating full ver / tv size would be fine. They're the same song but provide a different musical experience, so that doesn't create much of a problem in my eyes

Just my 2c

Edit: DQ's done out of malicious intent will be punished for sure by the way, there's nothing to worry about in that regard simply because BNs now have the ability to DQ
posted

Serizawa Haruki wrote:

Why would someone rank the same song twice in less than a week? That's super unlikely to happen
Ranking full and short version of the same song is something I've wanted to do for a long time but never can since the current rules xD
posted
full and tv size and remix should be treated separately

having 5 maps of kawaki o ameku/ resister/ insert anime op get ranked on the same day is shitty because it blocks all but 3 other songs from getting ranked that day so if you dont like that then its an overdose of anime for the day
which ofc you guys will conveniently try and ignore and say oh just play other maps but its still stupid even if you dont personally find it as an issue, its like releasing new hearthstone cards but each release is the exact same card with minor variations

also i feel like blocking someone from qualifying the same song twice is pointless cuz the only reason they would do that is to meme this rule or because they wanted to rank the full and tv size which are treated the same
posted
if there would be a few sets ranked at the ~same time i doubt players will approach all the difficulties equally (especially if there are like 10 diffs in each set) so i think a one-week queue works well here

though remixes shouldnt be treated the same so i could rank my chika meme pls apply this rule asap i support
posted
i fully support this since i found this rule very pointless when first reading rc

reason: the more qualified maps we have, the more variety of what to play comes
posted

Fayew wrote:

i fully support this since i found this rule very pointless when first reading rc

reason: the more qualified maps we have, the more variety of what to play comes
What variety comes from multiple of the same song coming through at once?
posted

Ascendance wrote:

Fayew wrote:

i fully support this since i found this rule very pointless when first reading rc

reason: the more qualified maps we have, the more variety of what to play comes
What variety comes from multiple of the same song coming through at once?
variety of difficulties and different representations of the same song
posted
tbh I don't think there's a big difference between the same song being qualified multiple times with a difference of 2-3 days between each mapset or with a difference of 1 week, both are kinda lame so having or not having this rule doesn't really matter to me
If it's not gonna be removed entirely, I also agree with allowing remixes and different lengths like others said
posted
No tea no shade but the only real point to keep the rule is to "keep the mapping section more diverse" which in today's standard meta mapping is quite a nonexistent fantasy, to put it lightly. To be more specific - people in general and most standard BNs will agree that maps getting ranked nowadays in most cases look almost identical because people try to make maps as close to the meta that is considered safe as possible or they get inspired a whole lot by particular mappers who are very well-recognized and who usually happen to map in a manner that is considered 'generic' or 'basic' due to standardized patterns that are beloved by everyone.

If we had wanted to keep the diversity in the first place, we would have had a rule which would allow ranking the same song once a year so the ranked section doesn't get flooded too much with the same song and other remixes. Recently we've got the guideline by Raiden which says something like "don't get the same map ranked more than once" so this should settle it. We are most likely not going to see the same map for the same song becoming ranked no matter how hard you try, unless someone is still into uploading someone else's works because they give no fudges about piracy yet those people are going to get "their" pieces of work nuked immediatelly.

I have no idea how identical maps can be in other modes as I am only proficient in the standard mode but on a serious note - the only excuse now from not having two maps for the same song qualified is people are so competitive they want their set ranked as soon as possible so they will play dirty in order to get theirs ranked first. Don't you think removing the rule would make the community a bit less toxic in such a case?
posted
I think removing this rule will cause some people to be annoyed by the spamming of same songs in qualified occasionally, but I don't see why there can't be diversity in the maps of same songs.

Also there is an argument which kinda makes this rule ridiculous: If various mappers can release maps to a song under one collaborative mapset as a workaround, I don't see why individual mappers shoudln't be allowed to release maps to a song under their own mapsets.
posted
what kills me is that speedrank wars exists lol
posted
I got that you don't like low quality maps which are made in the process of speedranking and so it could be solved with rule which would be something like "Song has to be at least 7 days old before getting ranked." (Rule like "Mapper has to has been working on this map for at least 7 days", because we cannot know how long the mapper worked at such a map.)

Edit: Solution with which you came cannot work.
posted

Dave251 wrote:

I got that you don't like low quality maps which are made in the process of speedranking and so it could be solved with rule which would be something like "Song has to be at least 7 days old before getting ranked." (Rule like "Mapper has to has been working on this map for at least 7 days", because we cannot know how long the mapper worked at such a map.)

Edit: Solution with which you came cannot work.
I disagree, unless a map is remapped heavily ranking it on day one opposed to day 7 won't make any difference.
Please sign in to reply.