forum

How to get better at 7k from 4k?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Macinstein
So, I'm a 4k mania player all the way until now and I'm trying to get into 7k. Although I'm a pretty shitty 4k player, my accuracy is okay as long as I can keep up and read the chart. When I play 7k, I can do decently on most 1* or lower 2* maps, but the accuracy plummets when playing higher 2* or 3* maps cuz I always press the wrong keys.

Should I keep playing comfortable maps to get used to which lane is which or should I brute force some 2-3* charts with NF? When I was trying to improve 4k I just grind the maps that I can only get an A on, but for 7k it seems that I'm either getting S or B. When you guys started out on 7k how did you guys improve?

Thanks
Yyorshire
tip for any player of any game, never bruteforce, it doesnt work, and it will never work

take it slow, it takes time to get used to 7k, much more so than 4k, it took me about a month to be comfortable with 7k

if you are doing 7k for pp, dont play 7k, you wont enjoy it, and you will only be frustrated

if you really want to improve at 7k, consistently play charts you can get a high A or an S on, anything lower is you just spamming

inb4 bobbias tells you to quit 4k and only focus on 7k :^)
Bobbias
Damn, ninja'd.

I never say to never play 4k again though. Just to focus on 7k over 4k (if you seriously want to improve).

In the beginning, you need to keep the star rating low and play until you can hit stuff without even thinking about what you're doing. You need to slowly find maps that introduce new patterns like different kinds of chords and easy LN use (with notes during the holds later on). 7k requires a HUGE amount of pattern recognition, way way more than 4k does. in 4k, there are 16 different possible combinations of notes for a single moment in time. In 7k, there are over 5000 different possible note combinations. This of course includes many chords you will never see in easy maps (5 and 6 note chords, for example) but you need to learn to hit all the different combinations of notes without thinking.

The reason you suddenly hit a wall where you go from S to B is because you are playing maps that use patterns you can't read properly. Reading is the single most important part of 7k. Since you can play 4k, you have a fair bit of finger speed, so that won't hold you back, but if you can't read a pattern correctly, you can't hit it on time, no matter how fast your fingers are.

You can start pushing yourself a bit harder when you hit a point where you don't hit the wrong keys, and you can handle most basic patterns easily. I would say once you can play maybe 3.5 star stuff, you should avoid anything that you can't A at least. A's are good for exposing yourself to new patterns, or improving on patterns that you just aren't able to handle yet.
Jinjin

Bobbias wrote:

Damn, ninja'd.
7k requires a HUGE amount of pattern recognition, way way more than 4k does. in 4k, there are 16 different possible combinations of notes for a single moment in time. In 7k, there are over 5000 different possible note combinations.

Just wanted to point out that 4K has 15 different possible combinations and 7K has 127 different possible combinations :) In general, nK has 2^n - 1 different note combinations.
Still doesn't change the fact that 7K does require a huge amount of pattern recognition, however.
yetii
Speaking from experience, when I started learning 7k I was decently skilled at 4k already so keep thatr in mind.

The first few months I played cassualy now and then to practice basic muscle memory. It took quite a long time to learn which finger to move ( even at 2* maps) From there on forward I mostly played 4k with some 7k sessions now and then. After about a year of struggling I got to a point where I was decent enough to play some beginner BMS maps. Anyways the most important is to give it time and repetitive practice. Set goals for yourself that seem reasonable and keep raising the bar when you hit those goals.

My final and maybe most important tip is to have fun! No point in grinding a keymode if you don't enjoy playing it in the first place.