forum

[resolved] Unsubmitted beatmap shows a random image for thumbnail

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
milkyray
I imported a .mp3 file and immediately after going to the menu, there is a completely unrelated image taking up the thumbnail of the song. Aren't unsubmitted beatmaps supposed to have no thumbnail?

I've already tried:

Deleting the beatmap and reimporting it
Deleting /data/bt/ and osu!.db
Processing beatmaps (F5)
Death
If the mp3 you are importing has a number at the beginning of it, or your beatmap folder has a number at the beginning of it, that can cause a thumbnail to show up when it shouldn't. Double check to make sure that isn't the case.
Topic Starter
milkyray

no
Death
Is the folder just called "audio"? And is that the name of the mp3 before you import it? Can you try deleting whatever you have imported right now, change the name of the mp3 to something else, and then try importing it again?
Topic Starter
milkyray
yes, the folder is called "audio"
yes it was the name of the mp3
i changed the name of the mp3/folder and it still is showing the thumbnail
Death
Did you re-import the audio file after changing the name of it, or did you just rename the folder and mp3 while it was still inside the game?

The folder should automatically be named to whatever the original name of the mp3 is, and then the mp3 will automatically be renamed to audio after it is imported.
Topic Starter
milkyray

Death wrote:

Did you re-import the audio file after changing the name of it, or did you just rename the folder and mp3 while it was still inside the game?

The folder should automatically be named to whatever the original name of the mp3 is, and then the mp3 will automatically be renamed to audio after it is imported.

i copied the .osu file for the map into a separate folder and deleted the map, then renamed the .mp3 file and uploaded it again

and the .mp3 was renamed to audio.mp3

the thumbnail was still there
Death
Are you reusing that .osu file and is there a reason you need to copy it? Based on your picture it doesn't look like the map has any objects...
Anemic Witch
I had exact same problem when I tried to update some map but map with thumbnail you showed was being downloaded every time I clicked "Update".

Here it is, the spooky map: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/252483
Death

Anemic Witch wrote:

I had exact same problem when I tried to update some map but map with thumbnail you showed was being downloaded every time I clicked "Update".

Here it is, the spooky map: https://osu.ppy.sh/b/252483
On submitted maps a known way to resolve this is to change the difficulty name. For whatever reason, sometimes that happens. But on an unsubmitted map I don't see why that would happen, and you should also be able to just completely remove whatever you have and just restart (if you haven't actually mapped anything yet).
Topic Starter
milkyray

Death wrote:

Are you reusing that .osu file and is there a reason you need to copy it? Based on your picture it doesn't look like the map has any objects...

I mapped about 2 diffs by the time you responded earlier.

EDIT: I guess I could just deal with this since the map won't be unsubmitted for long; it'll just annoy me though
Death
Save the .osu files to some other location then, delete the map from the game, and then instead of reusing the same .osu files, just copy the notes and timing points that you place. And also try using different difficulty names just to see if that makes a difference, or even go as far as to use a different artist/title temporarily to see if that makes a difference as well.
Topic Starter
milkyray
SOLVED

Turns out that, when looking in the .osu file, the BeatMapSetID is listed as 93655. Apparently, this is what controls the thumbnail.

To solve, change it from 93655 to -1.
nebuwua
For me, it still doesn't work. i tried changing the BeatMapSetID to -1, but it keeps on reverting back to the original number no matter how many times i save it.
Death

Nebula3310 wrote:

For me, it still doesn't work. i tried changing the BeatMapSetID to -1, but it keeps on reverting back to the original number no matter how many times i save it.
Export the map then delete it from the game. Make all of the applicable changes mentioned in this thread on the copy of the map that you exported and then re-import it.