posted
Total Posts
show more
Cris-
Agree with this
Usaha
y not
-MysticEyes
Definitely agree with this, the current rule is really unintuitive and this fixes the issue quite well!
_Kobii
that would greatly help with the tag problems, big love UC
Leniane
Yes 100% agree with this
Lasse
yes
Noffy
yes ok let's do this
Zelq
thats cool!
anna apple
:D
clayton
for now this change is probably okay, but in the future we should look into more proper tagging options because a full username should really treated like a single tag. a single-tag search for "Blue Dragon" wants to return results for only the full tag, not every map containing "blue" and "dragon"

same could be said about pretty much everything that gets thrown into tags
pishifat
different creator fields per diff when

https://github.com/ppy/osu-wiki/pull/2156
Serizawa Haruki
There's a problem with this though. Adding only the username with an underscore results in the map not showing up on the website when searching the username without underscore.
Here's an example:
This map has Kyle_Y in the tags but if you search "Kyle Y" on the website, this map doesn't appear as you can see here: https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist?q=kyle%20y
Therefore, I suggest adding both variants to the tags. That way, the map will show no matter how you search it.
Also, no it doesn't make it clear that it applies to set owners as well.
Topic Starter
UndeadCapulet
you got any wordings that arent super clunky that would help cuz im having trouble

only thing i can think would be to break the whitespace clause into its own point entirely
clayton
seems clear enough to me

and Seri, this issue will be inevitable for now, adding "Kyle y" to that maps' tags will only have it match the Kyle term anyway (which could help, but it's still not a proper match). this has to be fixed at a search level with the ability to specify a tag that contains spaces, which then could do a lookup for underscores as well
Serizawa Haruki

clayton wrote:

seems clear enough to me

and Seri, this issue will be inevitable for now, adding "Kyle y" to that maps' tags will only have it match the Kyle term anyway (which could help, but it's still not a proper match). this has to be fixed at a search level with the ability to specify a tag that contains spaces, which then could do a lookup for underscores as well
I'm aware that the search function on the website isn't the best but why does it matter if only "Kyle" is taken into account? It will still work because it will show all the maps that have "Kyle Y" in the tags. Of course it also shows maps that have "Kyle" in the tags or in the artist/title field for other reasons but that's always the case for usernames that happen to be common words/names. Also, I doubt the website is going to have the search function fixed anytime soon so adding both variants is the best option as of right now
clayton
Seri: if it's a problem on osu!'s end (it is), let's fix that, not the maps. it may seem OK "as of right now" to just put both, but these kinds of decisions would lead to a huge pain down the line when we'd end up with hundreds of redundantly-tagged maps and someone would want to clean them up

there are already thousands of ranked beatmaps with their metadata in a mess, let's not add to that any more than necessary

---

this whole thread is documenting a development challenge rather than an RC one, though the proposed rule wouldn't negatively impact anything for the future so I think it's OK to add it anyway

in the future I think we should avoid making workaround threads like this and just report the actual issue to ppy/osu-web or ppy/osu. pretty sure the only change we need here is a way to fully match a selection when searching (similar to how on Google you can put quotes around a phrase to only find exact matches)

made a note to look into this but I have a feeling it'll be a few months before I actually get around to it /shrug
Serizawa Haruki
Of course workarounds aren't ideal, but usually it takes a very long time until developers change something. If this is just a quick fix, it's fine not to go through with my proposed change but otherwise it's really problematic as I already explained. Redundant tags aren't an issue honestly, we already have a lot of them in every map and they don't really cause any harm unless they are misleading or give wrong results but that usually only happens if the tags are unrelated to the song, which is (usually) being checked by BNs. It's similar to the guideline that recommends adding the genre and the language to the tags, it's a workaround to adding an actual option to sort/filter maps by those criteria but we all know that such a feature isn't going to be implemented anytime soon so it works for now
clayton
open issues or bug reports if you want something fixed, devs aren't magically aware of problems. if I hadn't been browsing this subforum I don't think a single contributor to osu-web would've thought to make this a priority

turns out this is easier than I thought though. phrase matching is already supported on the website (try searching "kyle y" with the quotes, the results only return exact matches), it just needs to look for underscored versions as well

fixing this would fix the whole thread's issue

e: https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues/4313
Serizawa Haruki
That is still not a proper solution because nobody uses "" when searching. Also, the quotation marks require the two parts of the username to be consecutive and in the correct order. For example, this map has my username in the tags but there are other tags between Serizawa and Haruki and therefore the map doesn't show on the website: https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmaplist?q=%22serizawa%20haruki%22
This is obviously an exception but it does happen sometimes so it's another issue that needs to be considered
clayton
well... yeah in that case searching "serizawa haruki" shouldn't match the map so those tags are wrong

normal matches aren't meant to be exact. searching kyle y should return all maps containing kyle or y, prioritized to match ones that have them in the right order, which would be fixed here too

the underlying problem is that the tag separator is also used within tags (the space). I guess that's why the underscore rule was here in the first place, it's not for no reason, the search engine just doesn't support it (yet!)
Serizawa Haruki
I'm in favor of fixing it but as I said, quotation marks shouldn't be necessary in the first place to get relevant results
pishifat
merged