forum

Are some songs simply unmappable or does it only depend on the skill of the mapper?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-NikoNiko-
Hey,

I started mapping about a week ago, analyzing different maps and trying to create a few on my own, but I've had my fair share of problems choosing songs, not due to a lack of songs in my library, but probably my lack of current skill as a mapper. As a few examples, I tried to map this song, however I've come to the conclusion that the song might be too repetetive for a 10 minute map. The bassline stays relatively the same over the course of the track, there are no real climaxes and the repetetive drumming makes it rather hard to create an engaging map over the span of over 10 minutes. The vocals are also rather dreamy and it's hard to create engaging patterns on them, at least for 10 minutes. Parts which actually differ in the song do exist, but they are few and far in between.

Another example would be this song, and while it does have a climax at 3:27, and there is some progression of the song going on, it's still really slow and repetetive before the climax and also afterwards, once again making it hard to create an engaging map.

I also tried to map this song, clocking in at 5:42, it's shorter than the two other examples. This time there's actually a chorus (1:37 as example) which is sonically more engaging than the verses, maybe signifying a smaller climax with bigger spacing and faster sliders, and the part at ~2:58 being the full climax... However, the repetetive nature of the song in general once again made it rather hard for me to create anything engaging.

They all seem to suffer from the same problem, they're rather long and repetetive. I tried to look through the maps I've accumulated over the years to see if other mappers have successfully pulled off a good map with a longer and rather repetetive song, but I've found none. Is it even possible to map those examples engaging in any way or am I just lacking the skills to see ways it could be done?

Of course some music is simply unable to get mapped, ambient and noise pieces, sound collages and unpredictable compositions or improvisations, or simply sound experiments. However, those songs have structure, rhythm and melodies, so I don't see how it could be impossible to create decent maps out of them - I also sadly just don't see how it's possible.

Am I just better off leaving songs like this out of mapping, or is it possible with enough skill to map those 3 decently? I've already started mapping this song, since it does feature more sonic ideas and sounds, and is also way shorter than the others for the time being, and while I'm still struggling with it (which is normal since I'm a bloody beginner), I don't see it as impossible to map in any way, unlike the others.
roufou
I'll just chime in briefly to say that some songs are definitely better for mapping than others, as will be obvious to perhaps most people. I find it very possible to assume (without listening) that it's not possible to make a "good" map of the songs you're mentioning.

I generally recommend practising mapping first on slightly easier songs to map, once you've got fundamentals out you might have an easier time figuring beforehand if you can make a good map of a song or not.
Topic Starter
-NikoNiko-

agu wrote:

I'll just chime in briefly to say that some songs are definitely better for mapping than others, as will be obvious to perhaps most people. I find it very possible to assume (without listening) that it's not possible to make a "good" map of the songs you're mentioning.

Yeah I think you're right, I thought all maps have the chance of becoming good if the mapper is skilled enough, but it does make sense that some songs are just impossible to get down in an engaging fashion.

agu wrote:

I generally recommend practising mapping first on slightly easier songs to map, once you've got fundamentals out you might have an easier time figuring beforehand if you can make a good map of a song or not.

You're right, I think I really jumped into it way too quickly.

Thank you for the response.
Danimineiro
I think repetetive maps can be very difficult to map. I personally tried mapping a few and I mostly either create something that is lacking in variety or something that is overtuned.

Also mapping really repetetive songs really drains my will to map as it isn't much fun for me to do basically the same thing over and over again. For me, once I don't have fun mapping something anymore I kinda loose my creativity and the quality of what I produce declines. I do think there are ways to make those songs into great maps but after one year of not focusing on that I'd say I wouldn't be able to make one.