forum

[resolved] stepmania to osu convert, no audio playing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kernaus
Problem details: okay this is a weird one but hear me out.

So i charted this file : https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/947434

This map is originally a stepmania chart i created using arrowvortex.
Once i was done charting it, i decided to convert it to Osu!mania using Raindrop, wich takes a .sm file and gives you back a .osu file, in said osu file was the line "AudioFileName : *songs name*, this might be important detail so please take note.
Once the conversion is done, i open osu, grab the audio file (still named *song name*), open the editor and copy the .osu file wich i got from raindrop into this newly created beatmap.
after a few adjustments, i upload it, no problem on my end at this point.

Then i got somehow to testplay it, so he downloads the map, tries it and... tells me he has no audio?
so after that i delete the beatmap i had on my end from my local files and re download it from the website, and...no audio either.

Intrigued, i re open the editor, open the song file and notice that the mp3s filename was changed from *song name* to simply "audio". Noticing that, i open the .osu file, and change the AudioFileName line to correspond to the new audio file name.

reupload the map, refresh my game... still no audio, my testplayers redls it as well and no audio either.

After that, somebody showed up to help (OneShotFox, thank you again for the help), he downloads the map from the website and.... no issue, has audio??

if you couldnt tell at that point i was REALLY fucking confused.

So he sends me HIS local files for the map, i delete my own local files and grab his, audio plays, no problem. I then upload this version of the file to the website and think it'd be okay now...

Boy was i wrong, my playtester redls the map from the website and still doesnt have audio. I do the same and get the same result.

So now i'm here, high on caffeine and really REALLY confused at whatever i just witnessed.

Video or screenshot showing the problem: uuuuuuuh

osu! version: Stable 20190326.2 (latest)
Death
As long as both AudioFileName and the actual audio file name are the same, it should work. It being changed to audio.mp3 should actually be the correct behavior when you import an mp3 into the game.

If the person that was testing your map isn't deleting it before redownloading it, that might by why they are still having issues. Seems like you are sometimes able to get audio and sometimes you aren't, so you should double check to make sure everything matches up when you are able to get a version of the map without audio. And if that isn't the issue, just check to make sure the audio file is actually playable, just in case something happened to go wrong there.

For what it's worth, I downloaded the map just now and it works fine. Also the preview on both the new and old website work fine.

Update from #help: Apparently caused by a magically disappearing and reappearing audio file.