forum

The Top 10 Hardest NES games

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Crimmi
So yeah like I was explaining in #modhelp with LunaticMara, we're looking for some hard NES games, games that'll make you rage, cry,throw out that NES and burn it in holy fire.

So tell me what are the Hardest NES games you ever played? (List 10!)

Go! Go! Go!

The 10 Baddest NES Games List
1.) Battletoads
2.) Silver Surfer
3.) Super Contra
4.) Takeheshi's Castle
5.) Cheetahmen II
6.) TMNT
7.) Ninja Gaiden
8.) Batman
9.) The Adventures of Bayou Billy
10.) Battle Kid

Honorable Mentions
Mega Man
Sword Master
Gun Smoke
Contra
Fester's Quest
Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels
Spelunker
Mara
I wish I could remember the names of the games I played when I was a kid. I had this (pirate?) machine with about 150 NES games, mostly arcades.

I'll try to find out the names soon. But I'll say two games right away - Ninja Gaiden and Sword Master. Ninja Gaiden gets really hard at the end, and Sword Master... It's the game or I suck really badly.

I could list Contras (Contra, Super C, who plays Force?) as well, but... They're quite easy even though everyone says they're hard.
Vish024
Tetris TMNT pissed me off quite badly. Contra was just mental.
Pokebis
Cheetahmen II is literally impossible to beat on a non-hacked cartridge.
Does that count?
awp
the original Mega Man was really difficult thanks to a couple bugs in Ice Man/Wily 1 stage.
pieguyn
Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
though, to be technical it's not NES, it's Famicom Disk System, but it's close enough :?
I can't think of any others...
awp
Dragon Warrior was also really hard to complete.

Playing the game was tough enough (it is a really really boring game) but the last boss required his own couple hours of grinding
Mara

pieguy1372 wrote:

I can see why.

Crimmi wrote:

10.) I Wanna Be The Guy
This is a PC game.
Mercurial
Zombies Ate my Neighbors, specially the last levers.
Mismagius
Zombies Ate My Neighbors is from SNES.
Mercurial
Oh sorry, I didn't get the difference. :P
RemmyX25
>not see splunker
>mfw
awp
I remember Mario 2/LL being fairly easy until the final stage. I had stockpiled a bunch of lives and lost them all at the final level
Lybydose
LL is fairly easy until you get to the alphabet worlds

The other thing about LL was that it was basically trolling you the entire time. You had plants that would pop out even when you were standing on the pipe, water enemies above ground and flying, fire sticks underwater, warp pipes that sent you backwards, poison mushrooms, etc etc.
awp
it goes to F, right?
Lybydose
no it stopped at D-4 I think.

There was also a world 9 that was incredibly odd. I don't know how much of this was in the original NES release and how much was added in the SNES version.
Stefan
The All-Star Version of The Lost Levels is easy-peasy against the NES Version.
Cyclone
/me looks at list.

oh hey silver surfer, i beat that game. Also fester's quest isn't really THAT hard, was it? I think even the final boss had a safe spot.
Azure_Kite

pieguy1372 wrote:

though, to be technical it's not NES, it's Famicom Disk System, but it's close enough :?
I can't think of any others...

To be REALLY technical that is the original/Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2. It wasn't renamed the lost levels until NOA finally decided Americans were cool enough to play hard games.

I remember only ever clearing Salamander/Life Force once. That was a fun shooter.
Papi Bear
Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels...

I'm always get stuck on a castle that repeating the platforms.. (I think on 3-4.. But I don't really remember) So I rely on selecting random levels..
Topic Starter
Crimmi

Cyclone wrote:

/me looks at list.

oh hey silver surfer, i beat that game. Also fester's quest isn't really THAT hard, was it? I think even the final boss had a safe spot.
You must have an iron mind, can i have it?
-Athena-
I am too newschoolfag for this.

Wish I was born earlier.
awp

-Athena- wrote:

Wish I was born earlier.
that's bitch talk. IS YOU A BITCH!?

You can still find NES consoles/games at pawn shops and the like. Shit, I have 3.
Mara
I guess we can also count other Ninja Gaidens as well, especially Ninja Gaiden IIIs US version, where Ruy gets double damage and has limited continues.
Topic Starter
Crimmi

LunaticMara wrote:

I guess we can also count other Ninja Gaidens as well, especially Ninja Gaiden IIIs US version, where Ruy gets double damage and has limited continues.
Ah limited continues, the missing part of today's games.
-Athena-

awp wrote:

-Athena- wrote:

Wish I was born earlier.
that's bitch talk. IS YOU A BITCH!?

You can still find NES consoles/games at pawn shops and the like. Shit, I have 3.
Nnah I was actually insulting myself there, because I just can't put my mind into retro games like this. I started gaming at 7 years old with FF8 (a little weird yea), and basically grew up with the newer stuff only.

Also our country haz no pawn shops, at least none that I've ever heard of, and our video game shops sell pirated stuff and newschool stuff only. Might be hard to believe since you live in such a different country from mine.
I'm sorry.
awp
yeah, outside of Japan/North America they're probably harder to get a hold of. They're all over the place, here
Mara
Not a problem in Finland at least - Finland was full of NES stuff in 80s-90s and I bet there are tons of people who still has NES in here.