forum

me wan git gud [Enlightment]

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
T_T
(Overthinking warning)
Tired of tilting off the face of the planet because of how bad you are at OSU? How about those maps you’ve been working on trying to fc BUT you keep missing THAT ONE NOTE and everything spirals out of control..
Well if you aren’t, I certainly f***ing am. But in spite of my babyrage I learned how incompetent and bad I truly am. It’s time to break those limits.
”pley moar & enjoi gaem.”
Ty am enlightened and pro now. Ty.
I know there is truth to this so this isn’t a discouragement to general advices, and will obviously work overtime. But being the noob I am (and brain dead), it’s hard to know how I can improve at the skills I lack and better my current skillset at mAxImUm eFfiCiEnCy.

A little summary of my skill set:
- capable but inconsistent at jumps
- can solo tap with one finger
- snappy aim (niche)

- dirty farmer
- bad at streams
- slow taps
- trash at anything that involves more than one finger (huh) such as accuracy on doubles, triples, quads, streams etc
- aim and tapping gets shot when too fast or too many circles.
Maps I play are 3-4* sometimes 5*
Have been playing for 2 years with frequent breaks but non stop since beginning of this year (big pp addiction)

There’s this pattern (idk what to call it) but it’s a common pattern in most maps where it is a buildup and then condensed 4-7 jumps usually in a flower pattern. I can usually hit the first 3-4 but then aim dies/lose rhythm/can’t read/want to die.

I’ve been watching replays back and so far what I’ve deduced is the above and its a common occurrence where after the 3rd or 4th I get anxious and lose sense of rhythm&flow which butchers aim(usually underaim) and tapping at innapropriate intervals. Seems to be the same for streams or things that involve multiple consecutive taps.
My theory is that my lack of knowledge, incapabale of staying calm and muscle memory on those particular patterns is what’s keeping me from progressing (Possibly more). This is where play more would be the static valid answer, but where I’d like to ask people on their individual experience and method of approach to figure what will work.
Obviously challenges and difficulties will differ from person to person but if there’s; someone that was/is in my shoes, have overcame this challenge,or could pass on some knowledge for me to consciously look for/utilize I would absolutely love it.
What I’ve been doing to sort of remedy this is by the following:
- individually look at each circle and tap instead of the overall pattern
-longer maps (800-1k+ FC combo)
To get used to pressure and adapting
-exclusive solo tapping with other finger (alternating, sliders and w.e those smoll reverse things are called are a b****)
-stream maps
160-170bpm to get familiar with patterns
180-220bpm for stamina
-jump maps cross screen, pattern I’m bad at, sliders, long single sequences
-HR/higher AR for that 1:1 reaction time succ
-tech maps 4funplayer
-out of skill level (around high 4* - mid 5*) warm up/better performance in lower * songs
-warm up maps/4fun maps:
Roze - Middleisland (Lan)
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/65994#osu/203906
Teo - Araki (extra)
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/749150#osu/1578009
Itazura fiction - My first story
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/864947#osu/1808741

Would love to hear suggestions/opinions/theories/tips & stories on your progression in OSU (no game mode exclusion because eventually I’ll get around to those too😋) Cheers!
~ Fin

I became addicted to this game because of my realization to how much depth this game really has (mechanically, mentally, artistically and sophistication) I was able to open my eyes and appreciate each player’s skill/talent/dedication such as their aim, accuracy, reaction time, combos, fluidity, cursor movement etc. Mad respect to mappers; the amount of effort that gets put into their creation such as timing, pattern, flow, dedication, bloodsweat&tears and how to tilt players is so commendable imo. And I definitely can’t forget the attention to details and aesthetic skinners put into the skins. I got mad OCD especially when it comes to things I have to look at/use for long periods of time so I give the upmost credit to the skins that can satisfy my needs (even if most aspects are just yoinked off other skins.) Even though my appreciation for this game is high, I hope one day I’ll be able to bring my plays to the same level, and be able to appreciate the game to the fullest extent 👌
Remilo
Note: I haven't really overcame my challenge yet, but hopefully i can still try to help you and maybe you can learn from my personal experience as well.This is a pretty funny post. Don't sweat that your not really good. Once your a 5 digit player you will probably hit a wall like me or most of the players out there. You gotta remember most of these top players have 1000 hours or more. Looking at your profile you only have 200 which is an accomplishment that means ur progressing into the 5 digits. Generally the flower pattern your talking about is kinda like streaming you just lift ur wrist up and fking spam the fk out of your x key, at least that's how i hit those, and in terms of accuracy its all about reading when to go to the next 1 while spamming ur X key. As for my personal experience i also have trouble anything involving multiple clicks like triples,streams,quads, etc... they are probably my biggest weakness and my personal theory as to why i am not improving. For example i picked up a really bad habit where i can't click streams accurately cause i lack so much figure control, usually my middle finger will click 2x more than my index finger during a stream, so i can't even do any bpm if i'm not even clicking properly. To overcome my challenge and or yours, you gotta be practicing or focusing on that 1 thing, not all the time but mostly. I'm bad at anything streams or triples, so i'm gonna do maps that have triples or streams. Go outside ur comfort zone stop playing 3 star maps and try to consistently FC low 4 stars, and often play high 4 stars or low 5 star maps to get you out of your comfort zone. Lastly finger control is probably the biggest thing for me (might be for you as well) It doesn't matter if you can hit every stream but get all 50's. With the top players, 1000hr's would be enough to get a lot of finger control knowing when to slow down or speed up on streams/bursts. Generally there are techniques i'm following like "relax ur fingers so you can stream and not tense" and stuff like that. Also here's an ex of me practicing finger control for triples https://gyazo.com/56ad544cb779b952b9ccd66fe604329c . Anyways good luck on your improvement! :D

- From a fellow 5 digit player, Ramilo
repr1se

Tenny wrote:

(Overthinking warning)
Tired of tilting off the face of the planet because of how bad you are at OSU? How about those maps you’ve been working on trying to fc BUT you keep missing THAT ONE NOTE and everything spirals out of control..

Been there. Still am there. That one note happens to us all. It doesn't mean you're perpetually bad, it just means you didn't hit the note.
Well if you aren’t, I certainly f***ing am. But in spite of my babyrage I learned how incompetent and bad I truly am. It’s time to break those limits.
”pley moar & enjoi gaem.”
Ty am enlightened and pro now. Ty.
I know there is truth to this so this isn’t a discouragement to general advices, and will obviously work overtime. But being the noob I am (and brain dead), it’s hard to know how I can improve at the skills I lack and better my current skillset at mAxImUm eFfiCiEnCy.

You already mentioned it, but it's true. Playing more i.e. practicing is the only way. Don't reinforce bad habits.

A little summary of my skill set:
- capable but inconsistent at jumps
- can solo tap with one finger
- snappy aim (niche)

- dirty farmer
- bad at streams
- slow taps
- trash at anything that involves more than one finger (huh) such as accuracy on doubles, triples, quads, streams etc
- aim and tapping gets shot when too fast or too many circles.
Maps I play are 3-4* sometimes 5*

That's not out of the ordinary. Grasping the basics is probably more frustrating than not getting filthy high FCs.
There’s this pattern (idk what to call it) but it’s a common pattern in most maps where it is a buildup and then condensed 4-7 jumps usually in a flower pattern. I can usually hit the first 3-4 but then aim dies/lose rhythm/can’t read/want to die.
I’ve been watching replays back and so far what I’ve deduced is the above and its a common occurrence where after the 3rd or 4th I get anxious and lose sense of rhythm&flow which butchers aim(usually underaim) and tapping at innapropriate intervals. Seems to be the same for streams or things that involve multiple consecutive taps.

It sounds like you're mashing. It happens when you play maps that are too difficult. My advice is to play easier maps and really grasp the rhythm and basic patterns before you move up to those.
My theory is that my lack of knowledge, incapabale of staying calm and muscle memory on those particular patterns is what’s keeping me from progressing (Possibly more). This is where play more would be the static valid answer, but where I’d like to ask people on their individual experience and method of approach to figure what will work.
Obviously challenges and difficulties will differ from person to person but if there’s; someone that was/is in my shoes, have overcame this challenge,or could pass on some knowledge for me to consciously look for/utilize I would absolutely love it.

If you read anything, it should be this: don't stress about getting better. You don't do better at school or work if you're stressed. It's the same in Osu!. Don't look at your scores/combo/acc for every individual score. You'll have good days, and you'll have bad days. If Osu! isn't fun, then you won't get better. Appreciate the circle clicking, and the circle clicking only, and you'll get better with time. Just relax.
-exclusive solo tapping with other finger (alternating, sliders and w.e those smoll reverse things are called are a b****)
-HR/higher AR for that 1:1 reaction time succ
-tech maps 4funplayer
-out of skill level (around high 4* - mid 5*) warm up/better performance in lower * songs

Would love to hear suggestions/opinions/theories/tips & stories on your progression in OSU (no game mode exclusion because eventually I’ll get around to those too😋) Cheers!
~ Fin

I removed the good ones because there's no need to talk about those.
Solo tapping with the other finger will break your muscle memory for singletapping with the original. High AR/HR is not good if you can't read the map. If you can't read the map, you'll mash. If you mash, bad habit. Tech maps, if you can't read them either. If you can, great. Don't play maps clearly out of your skill level. Play ones that push the upper limit. Everyone can pass Airman, but that doesn't mean they should be making 500pp plays. I also noted your hit acc is 95%. Work on that. 95% is a solid pass. Generally speaking, 98% is when you've mastered a map.
I became addicted to this game because of my realization to how much depth this game really has (mechanically, mentally, artistically and sophistication) I was able to open my eyes and appreciate each player’s skill/talent/dedication such as their aim, accuracy, reaction time, combos, fluidity, cursor movement etc. Mad respect to mappers; the amount of effort that gets put into their creation such as timing, pattern, flow, dedication, bloodsweat&tears and how to tilt players is so commendable imo. And I definitely can’t forget the attention to details and aesthetic skinners put into the skins. I got mad OCD especially when it comes to things I have to look at/use for long periods of time so I give the upmost credit to the skins that can satisfy my needs (even if most aspects are just yoinked off other skins.) Even though my appreciation for this game is high, I hope one day I’ll be able to bring my plays to the same level, and be able to appreciate the game to the fullest extent 👌

Agree.
Topic Starter
T_T
Huh, i learned that I can't make separate posts to reply to each posts..
i picked up a really bad habit where i can't click streams accurately cause i lack so much figure control, usually my middle finger will click 2x more than my index finger during a stream, so i can't even do any bpm if i'm not even clicking properly.

it's funny that you mentioned that because right after i read your post to try out the lift up your wrist and spam the fk out of your key suggestion i noticed that i would double tap with my middle finger (better finger) which would more or less fk up the flow and rhythm, so thank you for bringing that up :)

Go outside ur comfort zone stop playing 3 star maps and try to consistently FC low 4 stars, and often play high 4 stars or low 5 star maps to get you out of your comfort zone.

i think the reason why i keep going back to these 3 star maps is to try to fix the bad habits i developed early on (possibly why i mash keys rather than to rhythm). I would consider 4* my skill area and will constantly go back and forth from 3* to 5* to try to pick up certain aspects and try to apply them into the maps I'm trying to work on. We are kind of both working on the same thing, are there any maps you could recommend me?
Lastly finger control is probably the biggest thing for me (might be for you as well) It doesn't matter if you can hit every stream but get all 50's

I can relate to lack of finger control soooooooo much. I've realized that my middle finger is stronger/faster but lacks speed control while the index is slower/weaker & uncomfortable (probably just need to get used to it) but more consistent speed control. I remember when i was around 500k-200k where i absolutely couldn't comprehend triples/quads etc and hold into slider. So in order for me to understand the mechanic i would only start with the middle finger because i know odd numbers will result in holding the initial finger (while constantly praying that it wasn't an even amount). From my perspective I see it almost as a bad habit but also a stepping stone to a more versatile playstyle. A friend of mine recommended that i try getting comfortable with the secondary finger as it could possibly get me past my current wall, and so far I've seen A LOT OF MISSES that normally don't happen for me, but also slight accuracy improvements on sliders, triples and some streams. Can also feel muscles slowly catching up to primary finger if that's applicable irl. oh and more flick saves when my middle finger isn't being stubborn and trying to take all the glory.

With the top players, 1000hr's would be enough to get a lot of finger control knowing when to slow down or speed up on streams/bursts. Generally there are techniques i'm following like "relax ur fingers so you can stream and not tense" and stuff like that. Also here's an ex of me practicing finger control for triples https://gyazo.com/56ad544cb779b952b9ccd66fe604329c .

could be just noob mentality but it's hard for me not to feel like a pro after completing some maps out there 😆. Nice lil sample video I really like how you added that. Will definitely try relaxing them more and hopefully control and progress will come

Thank you for the insight and good luck to you too <3

Don't reinforce bad habits.

if anyone comes across this looking to git gud too this is possibly the best advice you could give.
It sounds like you're mashing. It happens when you play maps that are too difficult. My advice is to play easier maps and really grasp the rhythm and basic patterns before you move up to those.

you're spot on. Sometimes OSU! is like a aimbooster sim. with background music to me. And sometimes I'm completely immersed into the rhythm and flow.
If you read anything, it should be this: don't stress about getting better. You don't do better at school or work if you're stressed. It's the same in Osu!. Don't look at your scores/combo/acc for every individual score. You'll have good days, and you'll have bad days. If Osu! isn't fun, then you won't get better. Appreciate the circle clicking, and the circle clicking only, and you'll get better with time. Just relax.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacts. Often times I wonder why I enjoy clicking these damn circles so much, but usually concludes to how much better I can click them.
Solo tapping with the other finger will break your muscle memory for singletapping with the original. High AR/HR is not good if you can't read the map. If you can't read the map, you'll mash. If you mash, bad habit. Tech maps, if you can't read them either. If you can, great. Don't play maps clearly out of your skill level. Play ones that push the upper limit. Everyone can pass Airman, but that doesn't mean they should be making 500pp plays. I also noted your hit acc is 95%. Work on that. 95% is a solid pass. Generally speaking, 98% is when you've mastered a map.

I aspire to have 98% accuracy one day. My current accuracy makes me self conscious (no lie 😆)
I'm on this theory rn where if I start training the basics(which I've kind of skipped in the early osu days) with my secondary finger, and slowly transition and converge everything that I've learned, I'll possibly get to where I'd like to be 🤔 but that's some big brain IQ sh*t I wont know unless I try

(To anyone/everyone) in your opinion is it worth going over 3 star maps to get used to patterns i struggle with and basic mechanics, or am i wasting time and should move on to 4*?
Are there any maps you can recommend me training on / warm up on? Always am open to new maps around high 3* - low 5*
Remilo

Tenny wrote:

Huh, i learned that I can't make separate posts to reply to each posts..
i picked up a really bad habit where i can't click streams accurately cause i lack so much figure control, usually my middle finger will click 2x more than my index finger during a stream, so i can't even do any bpm if i'm not even clicking properly.

it's funny that you mentioned that because right after i read your post to try out the lift up your wrist and spam the fk out of your key suggestion i noticed that i would double tap with my middle finger (better finger) which would more or less fk up the flow and rhythm, so thank you for bringing that up :)

Go outside ur comfort zone stop playing 3 star maps and try to consistently FC low 4 stars, and often play high 4 stars or low 5 star maps to get you out of your comfort zone.

i think the reason why i keep going back to these 3 star maps is to try to fix the bad habits i developed early on (possibly why i mash keys rather than to rhythm). I would consider 4* my skill area and will constantly go back and forth from 3* to 5* to try to pick up certain aspects and try to apply them into the maps I'm trying to work on. We are kind of both working on the same thing, are there any maps you could recommend me?
Lastly finger control is probably the biggest thing for me (might be for you as well) It doesn't matter if you can hit every stream but get all 50's

I can relate to lack of finger control soooooooo much. I've realized that my middle finger is stronger/faster but lacks speed control while the index is slower/weaker & uncomfortable (probably just need to get used to it) but more consistent speed control. I remember when i was around 500k-200k where i absolutely couldn't comprehend triples/quads etc and hold into slider. So in order for me to understand the mechanic i would only start with the middle finger because i know odd numbers will result in holding the initial finger (while constantly praying that it wasn't an even amount). From my perspective I see it almost as a bad habit but also a stepping stone to a more versatile playstyle. A friend of mine recommended that i try getting comfortable with the secondary finger as it could possibly get me past my current wall, and so far I've seen A LOT OF MISSES that normally don't happen for me, but also slight accuracy improvements on sliders, triples and some streams. Can also feel muscles slowly catching up to primary finger if that's applicable irl. oh and more flick saves when my middle finger isn't being stubborn and trying to take all the glory.

With the top players, 1000hr's would be enough to get a lot of finger control knowing when to slow down or speed up on streams/bursts. Generally there are techniques i'm following like "relax ur fingers so you can stream and not tense" and stuff like that. Also here's an ex of me practicing finger control for triples https://gyazo.com/56ad544cb779b952b9ccd66fe604329c .

could be just noob mentality but it's hard for me not to feel like a pro after completing some maps out there 😆. Nice lil sample video I really like how you added that. Will definitely try relaxing them more and hopefully control and progress will come

Thank you for the insight and good luck to you too <3

Don't reinforce bad habits.

if anyone comes across this looking to git gud too this is possibly the best advice you could give.

you're spot on. Sometimes OSU! is like a aimbooster sim. with background music to me. And sometimes I'm completely immersed into the rhythm and flow.

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacts. Often times I wonder why I enjoy clicking these damn circles so much, but usually concludes to how much better I can click them.

I aspire to have 98% accuracy one day. My current accuracy makes me self conscious (no lie 😆)
I'm on this theory rn where if I start training the basics(which I've kind of skipped in the early osu days) with my secondary finger, and slowly transition and converge everything that I've learned, I'll possibly get to where I'd like to be 🤔 but that's some big brain IQ sh*t I wont know unless I try

(To anyone/everyone) in your opinion is it worth going over 3 star maps to get used to patterns i struggle with and basic mechanics, or am i wasting time and should move on to 4*?
Are there any maps you can recommend me training on / warm up on? Always am open to new maps around high 3* - low 5*

Personally in my opinion, i think its a waste of time unless you want to get good at reading slow AR, here are some maps that are good for streaming and bursts.

https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/923095#osu/1927666
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/929581#osu/1941499
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/273633#osu/902488
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/934144#osu/1950290
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/128931#osu/845391 (make sure you play the Extra verison)
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/850972#osu/1891907
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/871187#osu/1820339
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/290339#osu/654108
https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/504958#osu/1074246

If you need more let me know.
My Angel Jeremy
I love that opening, it's like the perfect advertisement for osu
I mean, everyone chokes so much you should just take it as another normal day in the life of osu.
Topic Starter
T_T

My Angel Jeremy wrote:

I love that opening, it's like the perfect advertisement for osu
I mean, everyone chokes so much you should just take it as another normal day in the life of osu.

Tyty was fueled with hormonal rage and I guess I’m not the only that feels like that sometimes 😆

Week update:
Trying to find the balance between reading, aim, rhythm, tapping technique and breathing.
Streams have gotten little better (not really) but has mostly translated into motivation to get better at jumps and rhythm sense.
Been diving into more reddit/osu discussions and came across Rohulk’s vid which is his take about osu mentality and conscious and subconscious mechanics. If you interested I linked below was great insight
https://youtu.be/1kp4Oguwrsc
https://youtu.be/BOx9T1jyeSU
Celine
Overthinking warning
found the problem

just figure out what skillset u want to get good at and properly grind maps that emphasizes on them