31.82%
Depends on Cat's Position
31.82%
I hate thread derails
4.55%
Total votes: 22
Topic Starter
Ekaru
I have lately noticed a slowly growing trend where some people seem to think that "autistic" = "retarded". Believe it or not, they mean completely different things.

Autism is essentially the condition of lacking social skills and being obsessed with order - or at the very least, those are the core systems that separate autism from other neurological conditions. The condition of being a retard has to do with intelligence. Occasionally you may encounter somebody with both conditions. These people will typically be referred to as "autistic" simply because it sounds nicer than "retard", even if they are technically an autistic retard.

Armed with this new knowledge, here are the correct ways to use these terms:

-If someone is crying over how their routine is ruined, then you may call them autistic.
-Same thing if they're crying over how their plans are ruined.
-If they said something in a context that shows that they lack basic social skills - like asking Grandma if she's pregnant during a Christmas gathering - then you may call them autistic.
-If somebody is acting stupid, then you may call them a retard.
-If they are doing all of the above at the same time, then feel free to call them an autistic retard.
-While we're at it, if something is lame, feel free to say it's gay.

I mean really, guys, there's minor screw-ups in grammar and then there's this colossal word usage failure. Regardless, you retards are now educated.

I highly recommend testing your new knowledge in front of a Special Ed worker. I'm sure he or she will be extremely pleased with your correct usage of the terms!

This thread is now about how cute cats are in laundry baskets:

This thread is now about whether my cat's fur looks like a heart or "something else":

That's how princess. Isn't she fucking adorable? AAAAWWWWWWWWW!
ouranhshc
seems gay
Topic Starter
Ekaru

ouranhshc wrote:

seems gay
She humps our other cat, who's also female, quite a lot, so that's a very accurate assessment! I'm very impressed.
Azure_Kite
I concur! Those retards that lack the education to make an informed judgement as to whether one is Autistic or merely retarded are the true retards.

Seriously. They are retarded.
ouranhshc
are you sure she isn't retarded
Pokebis
I haven't really seen them misused too much.
NoHitter

Pokebis wrote:

I haven't really seen them misused too much.
At least not in the context the OP was implying.
those
You're dismissing the possibility of an autistic retard
Topic Starter
Ekaru

ouranhshc wrote:

Well, she does run into walls a lot... Aha! You did it again! You, sir, are a genius!
mathexpert

Ekaru wrote:

-If someone is crying over how their routine is ruined, then you may call them autistic.
-Same thing if they're crying over how their plans are ruined.
-If they said something in a context that shows that they lack basic social skills - like asking Grandma if she's pregnant during a Christmas gathering - then you may call them autistic.
-If somebody is acting stupid, then you may call them a retard.
-If they are doing all of the above at the same time, then feel free to call them an autistic retard.
Since this seems to be a somewhat serious thread discounting the cats, I may as well point out that you seem to be referring to Asperger syndrome in particular, which is an autism spectrum disorder. Full-blown autism is much, much more restraining than these (rather minor, in the grand scheme of things) behaviors. My cousin has Autism; he's 17 years old and has severely impaired communication skills, is extremely hyper, and is still learning grade-school arithmetic (you really have to see it to believe it). Keep in mind this isn't his fault however. Whenever people throw around words like gay, retard, and autistic, I feel like it's being disrespectful to those individuals as well as muddling up the truth.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

mathexpert9981 wrote:

Whenever people throw around words like gay, retard, and autistic, I feel like it's being disrespectful to those individuals as well as muddling up the truth.
That's exactly my point. ;) Hence:

I highly recommend testing your new knowledge in front of a Special Ed worker. I'm sure he or she will be extremely pleased with your correct usage of the terms!
EDIT: Also, my bro has a lighter case of autism. Not quite Asperger's IIRC, but definitely not one of the more severe cases.
Wojjan
hi im ekaru i find this offensive
Cyclohexane
I may be autistic but at least I'm not a fscking retard
Frizz
That cat looks autistic tho
thelewa
I've got aspergers

hi
Mianki
Assburgers omnomn
silmarilen

thelewa wrote:

I've got aspergers

hi
Xgor

thelewa wrote:

I've got aspergers

hi
Let's do a aspergers osu! club :D
Topic Starter
Ekaru
As we can see, class, none of the people in this thread with Asperger's, an Autism Spectrum Disorder, is retarded. Thus, my point is proven.

'Course, severe autism is a sad case, but treating all cases of autism as the same is just sad. Even many cases of normal autism aren't that severe (ex. my bro; he was pretty bad as a child but he wasn't so bad that he wasn't able to get out of it. He had to take SE through high school, though).

EDIT: And yes, I have seen this a few times. Interestingly enough, they have all occurred when someone was complaining about Black and White 2 and was referring to GameFreak's decisions as "autistic". Not GF themselves, but their decisions. It's just bizarre.
Birdy
Oh shit, I'm retarded.

Ekaru wrote:

As we can see, class, none of the people in this thread with Asperger's, an Autism Spectrum Disorder, is retarded.
Oh wait nevermind.
awp

Ekaru wrote:

ouranhshc wrote:

Well, she does run into walls a lot... Aha! You did it again! You, sir, are a genius!
to me that suggests she's blind, not retarded
Cyclohexane

Ekaru wrote:

Aha!

the only thing I gathered from this thread
Topic Starter
Ekaru

awp wrote:

to me that suggests she's blind, not retarded
Nah, she can definitely see, so she's definitely just a tad slow. Not retarded, though; she can get into the basement ceiling, after all.
Shellghost

Ekaru wrote:

(AKA stop failing at English)

Ekaru wrote:

I have lately noticed a slowly growing tend where some
Stopped reading there.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Shellghost wrote:

Ekaru wrote:

(AKA stop failing at English)

Ekaru wrote:

I have lately noticed a slowly growing tend where some
Stopped reading there.
Changed it to demonstrate more clearly that the "Autistic =/= Retarded" part is the focus of the topic. Thank you for your very in-depth feedback!
show more