forum

Video Game Hacking

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SonicFan344
Do you hack Video Games? Do you play Hacked Video Games?
I'm currently Hacking the PC version of Sonic Adventure DX (many said that the game is eeeasy to hack lol)
I play Hacked games too....especially hacked ROMs

P.S : DO NOT POST Creepypastas unless its a real hack and you played it! (but some creepypastas tend to be real, for example, a SMW hack called M A R I O)
Vish024
Congrats.
Pokebis
Talk to ztrot about modding Sonic.
foulcoon
Age 13

when hacking video games is cool
Mara
Hacking is for SCRUBS.
Stefan
I'm personally against Hack Versions. They're mostly unfunny to play and not good to play, so they contains sometimes bugs.
Frizz
Play video games without hacks like a pro
Oh, wait
Soaprman
The Legend of Zelda: Link Gets Laid
Alex311360
Current hacked roms I'm playing right now:
Touhoumon Merry
Touhoumon Blue Version
Touhoumon World Link
Touhoumon Marisa's Magic World [soon to be played]
foulcoon
oh my fucking god get out now

NOW
Pokebis

sHaDoWsN1pEr13 wrote:

sHaDoWsN1pEr13
PROGUY
Imma leave this here.
Azure_Kite
Since when did SMB1 have crushing as a cause of death? Oh, right. ;P
Blue Stig
awp
it's a legitimate topic, whether or not you have any respect for the OP

I've only hacked a couple DS games. TWEWY was the one I went the farthest with, doing audio and game script hacking. I even wrote a patching script for it.

Was going to hack Pokemon White to replace the regular encounter BGM with FF4's battle music but I don't have an SDAT decompiler and apparently recompiling it is a pain in the ass so I gave up almost immediately ):
Nharox
I like to play Super Mario World ROM hacks now and then, especially the insanely hard ones.
Alex311360
In that case: I'll leave this here.
Stefan
^I hate this shitty nonsense Hacks. I enjoy to play hacks where the creator focus to make the game nice to play and not to make impossible to play.
Soaprman
Those hacks aren't meant to be games that you just pick up and play. They're a playground for people who enjoy using an emulator to produce TAS-style pixel-perfect gameplay, and they're enjoyable to watch to those of us who enjoy TASes or shows of creative level design.

I wish there were some really good Zelda: Link to the Past rom hacks out there. Maybe there are and I haven't found them yet. I've played a few like Parallel Worlds but they tend to be set back by some irksome decisions... for example, in Parallel Worlds, you play through the first dungeon without a sword. This is a cool idea, but unfortunately the game engine makes you start the game over if you die before you get the sword. This means that if you die anytime within the rather long period of time you're swordless, you have to start over. Other rom hacks of Zelda I've touched just seem to have difficulty pushed too high. I want a casual experience that I can play on my TV, not something that I feel pressured to use savestates on. If anyone has recommendations, please throw them my way!
Anzo
I like Super Mario Frustration, and Touhoumon (Pokemon Emerald + Touhou)

There's also Automatic Mario...
awp

Soaprman wrote:

If anyone has recommendations, please throw them my way!
Super Mario World: Return to Dinosaur Land

but you've probably already heard about that one, apparently it's the best SMW hack ever made because it actually feels like a SMW game
Alex311360
OK, here's some:
Pokemon Creepy Black
Pokemon Lost Silver
Pokemon Buried Alive

:3
Topic Starter
SonicFan344

sHaDoWsN1pEr13 wrote:

OK, here's some:
Pokemon Creepy Black
Pokemon Lost Silver
Pokemon Buried Alive

:3
Those are Creepypastas, not hacks
Winshley
Speaking of TAS play... When browsing for beatmaps, I stumbled upon an old game I used to play at video game store when I was a child. 8-) (This was the beatmap I found) I was kinda bored, so I searched for videos of the game and these are what I found:

(Notice how your rival could always catch up to you in this game. Note the overview map. :P)
Remco32

SonicFan344 wrote:

I'm currently Hacking the PC version of Sonic Adventure DX (many said that the game is eeeasy to hack lol)
I'm interested, could you post some screenshots?
Nanael_old
Only game I moded/hacked was Resident Evil 4, multiplying the enemy spawn rate x10 and changing both music and character models made the mercenaries mode actually fun to play. Not sure it counts as hacking though.
awp

Nanael wrote:

Not sure it counts as hacking though.
Hacking is modifying how the game works against its original specification. So, I guess so
dkun

awp wrote:

Nanael wrote:

Not sure it counts as hacking though.
Hacking is modifying how the game works against its original specification. So, I guess so
But it seems as though the definition of "hacking" a game has changed within the last 5 or so years. :(
those

dkun wrote:

But it seems as though the definition of "hacking" a game has changed within the last 5 or so years. :(
Yes, now it only counts if it's multiplayer-able.
awp
no, the definition hasn't changed. There are just more people using it incorrectly.

it's somewhat synonymous to modding, I guess, but modding usually involves an API of some sort
Xgor

awp wrote:

Super Mario World: Return to Dinosaur Land

but you've probably already heard about that one, apparently it's the best SMW hack ever made because it actually feels like a SMW game
Tbh, I felt that one was kinda stale. While it was in the style of SMW it felt like an watered down and the levels really bored me but oh well that's just me.
The difficulty is though one of the few hacks that you actually can pick up and play though it all even if you haven't played SMW unlike almost every other hack <.<

Well, I don't know much about SMW hacking anymore after I quitted from it 5 years ago. So I can't help you much. There is some good ones I remember but they while possible to beat without savestates them they are pretty brutal without them.
Bobo_old
Pokemon hacks can be pretty fun, despite half the cool looking ones are only in Spanish.
karterfreak
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/610/

I'll just leave this here. (It's an old Romhack of Super Mario Kart I made a few years ago)