forum

Skinning Tutorial

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
RockRoller
The skinning tutorial has been moved!
The character limit for forum posts and the fact that BBCode is an outdated language that doesnt have any good editors made me move the tutorial. You can find it and many other useful skinning related topics here:

https://tutorial.skinship.xyz/tutorial/introduction
Topic Starter
RockRoller
reserving the topcomment because I will probably hit the character limit for the main post soon

also, the part about starting and the song selection is finall up!
G8D

how to move that score to bottom?
Topic Starter
RockRoller

G8D wrote:

I'm not totally sure if that is possible. The position of the scorenumbers is defined by their height. So if you add a lot of space onto the top part of the canvas it could work. But you would also need to add the same amount to the bottom of the canvas, otherwise the ranking panel will be completly broken and this might lead to a size at which osu stops loading the images.
adMftw
Hello, sorry to bother you but I have some questions maybe you have the answers.

When hitting a hitcircle in a slider, how do I make it so that it doesnt expand larger than the slider?

Also, how do I get rid of the matching lines from circle to circle? I find it quite distracting.

Thanks for your help.
Topic Starter
RockRoller
the lines are followpoints. Just add a blank followpoint.png and remove all other followpoint files from your skin.
About the slidercircles: https://cbullet.us/zhq-.txt
BerryFruit
Hi
This question insnt about skinning
But, how do you put this thing at the end of all your posts?
- Marco -
You mean the forum signature?
Just go on the web settings https://osu.ppy.sh/home/account/edit, the third section "Signature".
Topic Starter
RockRoller

- Marco - wrote:

You mean the forum signature?
Just go on the web settings https://osu.ppy.sh/home/account/edit, the third section "Signature".

you have a comma too much at the end, the link is https://osu.ppy.sh/home/account/edit
Fibrix
Hi, I'm in the process of making my first skin and I have one question that bothers me: where do I get sounds from? Do I have to gather them from a few skins or can I find them somewhere like a site or something?
Topic Starter
RockRoller

Fibrix wrote:

Hi, I'm in the process of making my first skin and I have one question that bothers me: where do I get sounds from? Do I have to gather them from a few skins or can I find them somewhere like a site or something?

The easiest way to get nice sounds is to grab them from other skins. The only easy alternatives you have are to look for sounds on sites like freesound.org or take them from games and their menus
A Normal Thing
sorry to bother you
what is the best way to start a skin
do i start from scratch and make a completely new folder or do i copy and paste a skin
this is the first skin im going to make
thanks
Topic Starter
RockRoller

A Normal Thing wrote:

sorry to bother you
what is the best way to start a skin
do i start from scratch and make a completely new folder or do i copy and paste a skin
this is the first skin im going to make
thanks

Thats a question I can't really give an answer to, since its personal preference. I personally start with a blank folder and the first thing I add are blank files for all the stuff I want to remove. A lot of other people take another skin as a base, this however has the risk that 1) you will be very close to the style of the skin you use as a base and 2) that you will leave some images from the base skin in your skin, making it a mixed skin.
I would probably recommend to start from a new folder, then doing the skin.ini and then whenever you make an element take one from another skin as a base and drop it into your image editor as a reference. This will prevent you from having files from your base skin in your final product
A Normal Thing
oh no i need more help why am i like this
im using GIMP.so i make a circle on another layer and i want to select that and align it so that its in the middle.
but i cant find anything related to that and i have trouble trying to center the circle
i just want the circle to be aligned nothing else
ok thanks for help again
Topic Starter
RockRoller

A Normal Thing wrote:

oh no i need more help why am i like this
im using GIMP.so i make a circle on another layer and i want to select that and align it so that its in the middle.
but i cant find anything related to that and i have trouble trying to center the circle
i just want the circle to be aligned nothing else
ok thanks for help again

I have no clue about GIMP and there are very few people in the skinning community that use it. Try to PM h3oCharles via PM or Discord.
Denoic
How to make the grade in photoshop everytime i cant its just hard
Matt2e2

KaloyanGFX wrote:

How to make the grade in photoshop everytime i cant its just hard

"The grade"? What do you mean by that? ranking-[letter]? ranking-[letter]-small? Anything else?
McCreetard
Hi, Im pretty new to skinning scene, but are there any ways to make a gif/animated hp bar (scorebar) in game, I have some seen in some popular skins and wanna make a custom for my own. Regards. Thanks in advance!!
Topic Starter
RockRoller

McCreetard wrote:

Hi, Im pretty new to skinning scene, but are there any ways to make a gif/animated hp bar (scorebar) in game, I have some seen in some popular skins and wanna make a custom for my own. Regards. Thanks in advance!!

There are only a few elements that can be animated, but all follow the same scheme. Make each frame of the animation a seperate file, called scorebar-colour-0, scorebar-colour-1, and so on
McCreetard

RockRoller wrote:

McCreetard wrote:

There are only a few elements that can be animated, but all follow the same scheme. Make each frame of the animation a seperate file, called scorebar-colour-0, scorebar-colour-1, and so on

How can I do that? I have seen people saying After Effects but Ive never tried any..Are there any specific vids that help on this particular topic? Like skining or how to use a program to skin or so so..
Matt2e2

McCreetard wrote:

How can I do that? I have seen people saying After Effects but I've never tried any..Are there any specific vids that help on this particular topic? Like skinning or how to use a program to skin or so so..

There aren't really any videos specifically for skinning but there are videos for learning After Effects or Photoshop or whatever you want to use for creating animations, just keep in mind that the program you're using should be able to export as a png sequence (since that's how osu! reads animations, as RockRoller said), else you might have a hard time separating the frames.

If YouTube isn't enough you can also join the Discord servers below and ask for help.

Hope this helped.
RFP12
I'm having a problem with the selection-mode.png file on my skin. I want the resolution for it to be 1366x768, but it always comes out as 1920x1080. I tried editing the file and changing it that way, but it never works. How can I fix that?
Draycon

RaymanFP wrote:

I'm having a problem with the selection-mode.png file on my skin. I want the resolution for it to be 1366x768, but it always comes out as 1920x1080. I tried editing the file and changing it that way, but it never works. How can I fix that?

There are selection-mode and selection-mode@2x, you need that one without @2x(SD).
TheBrightSoul

G8D wrote:

i never thinked this skin hack before but i think you should make the score numbers long vertically like all the screen and if you dont understended it, here a image: https://mega.nz/#!2nxUXQoL!-eJFwHKJyV59dkj_y7NqGjUW8lEXTBXkwkq-vPWCKos
my angel vikala
This tutorial has a lot of useful things for those who wants to begin their own skins! I would say thank you RockRoller for helping me and others too on this tutorial
CandyTwix
skin
Camillie
Hi,
Im like a begginer and writing here to understand really what i am doing, i've read the thread and did not see my answer, but now i know i little better what I am doing.
What I am trying to ask is, why the bottom parts like selection-mode are done in 2286x2000, or 2286x1440, when I play and I see these things in 1920x1080. You can see this in SPLOOSH+X+WHITECAT skin, I've tried to do it by myself and i've done this in 1920x1080 and in random number like 2400x2000 to see if this works, and guess what, of course it didnt. Could you explain?
Topic Starter
RockRoller

Camillie wrote:

Hi,
Im like a begginer and writing here to understand really what i am doing, i've read the thread and did not see my answer, but now i know i little better what I am doing.
What I am trying to ask is, why the bottom parts like selection-mode are done in 2286x2000, or 2286x1440, when I play and I see these things in 1920x1080. You can see this in SPLOOSH+X+WHITECAT skin, I've tried to do it by myself and i've done this in 1920x1080 and in random number like 2400x2000 to see if this works, and guess what, of course it didnt. Could you explain?

What the resolution you play it doesnt really matter for skinning. Osu skinning is based on 1366x768 (twice that for HD files). So if you were to assemble a full song selection in e.g. photoshop you would need it to be 2732 x 1536 for HD. This would include menu-back and selection mode, cut off the leftmost 448 pixels for the menu-back@2x.png and you will be left with selection-mode@2x.png needing to be atleast 2284 pixels wide. If you do not want to mess around with what needs to be how big, you can always just use the song selection template that I should have linked in the tutorial.
hi_forever_body
Hello, How do i uptade my skin inside Osu! Without closing the game

thx for the answer
Topic Starter
RockRoller

hi_forever_body wrote:

Hello, How do i uptade my skin inside Osu! Without closing the game

thx for the answer

Press Ctrl + Shift + Alt + S
ContingencPland
Hello, do you still have the template that is mentioned here in the Top Part section, "There are multiple ways to get around these fringes, but the easiest one would be to just use this top part template that I made for this post. It also has the position of the beatmap info icon on it." When I click on the link it says the puush could not be found.
Topic Starter
RockRoller

RunicImpulse wrote:

Hello, do you still have the template that is mentioned here in the Top Part section?
https://puu.sh/FIH5F/158690bda6.rar

I know that a few images and links in this post are broken, but I am working on replacing them
KonKoniLou
Sorry to bother you but i was wondering how i would edit the selection mode (full)
Like how would i edit it like in photoshop is there a video about it.
Topic Starter
RockRoller

-Aak- wrote:

Sorry to bother you but i was wondering how i would edit the selection mode (full)
What exactly do you mean
KonKoniLou

RockRoller wrote:

-Aak- wrote:

What exactly do you mean
how would i edit the selection. Like do i have to Do it in photoshop and How i would do it.
Topic Starter
RockRoller

-Aak- wrote:

how would i edit the selection. Like do i have to Do it in photoshop and How i would do it.
As I mentioned earlier on in the tutorial, if you want to make your own images you will need an image editor that supports transparency, the best option here would be pdn (free, remember to get the pugins I link in the post) and photoshop (paid).
show more