forum

General Pokemon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
EneT
Okay, thank you.

Ho-oh's overly bulky stats allowed it to switch into SR though and thus made it a must ban, especially if you were running a toxic stall Ho-oh with recover/roost.
Faust
Was facing a few players online through Pokemon Alpha Sapphire after a year of not playing others and god damn is every single team except Japanese people full of Legendaries.

Still managed to woop their asses though.

I did better in Triples than in Doubles, running a team of Garchomp, Aerodactyl, Metagross, Dusknoir, Milotic & (Mega) Kangaskhan.

Aerodactyl having the highest kill rate since I one-shot the flying-type legendaries like Ho-Oh, Yvetal & Rayquaza etc.
Mega Kangaskhan doing a nice job of having explosive damage after bringing in for Retaliate (pretty much kills everything)
followed by Power-Up Punch if I encounter a wall.
Let it have Sucker Punch just in case, and Outrage for sweeping though I wouldn't like Return (Didn't bother to make it max friendly)
EneT

Faust wrote:

Was facing a few players online through Pokemon Alpha Sapphire after a year of not playing others and god damn is every single team except Japanese people full of Legendaries.

Still managed to woop their asses though.

I did better in Triples than in Doubles, running a team of Garchomp, Aerodactyl, Metagross, Dusknoir, Milotic & (Mega) Kangaskhan.

Aerodactyl having the highest kill rate since I one-shot the flying-type legendaries like Ho-Oh, Yvetal & Rayquaza etc.
Mega Kangaskhan doing a nice job of having explosive damage after bringing in for Retaliate (pretty much kills everything)
followed by Power-Up Punch if I encounter a wall.
Let it have Sucker Punch just in case, and Outrage for sweeping though I wouldn't like Return (Didn't bother to make it max friendly)
That's why I don't like wi-fi battles; mostly filled with kids with Uber-tier pokemon, that being said, Mega Kangaskhan is also an Uber-tier pokemon, so using it makes you no better than them. The lower tier you go, the more quality the pokemon battles have so I generally like UU and NU better.
Faust
Except my team isn't entirely consisted of Legendaries, I've faced just about every single combination you can come up with if you mix and match every Legendary there is and I'm not kidding.

That's why I don't really have a hard time with them anymore. I already know what's coming.
The best battles I've had were with the Japs and their tricky line-ups.
They're fucking insane in Triples, I almost can't believe it.
EneT
Just play on the Battle Spot if you want to stop playing against those teams. Battle spot restricts the use of legendaries above 600 base stats but even then, it doesn't restrict bullshit like Speed Boost Blaziken, Aegislash, M-Kangaskhan, M-Mawile, M-Lucario, M-Salamence and Protean Greninja; in turn, it restricts legendaries that aren't even considered bannable or over-powered like Jirachi and Manaphy. Nintendo and the pokemon 3DS scene in general has poor balancing.
Faust
Yup. I have to say the last time I went online I didn't encounter so many same-Pokemon teams.

I pulled out Mega Kangaskan as an alternative to Mega Aerodactyl when I get really sick of it.

I prefer the latter, which is my main offensive sweeper for the team.
Tough Claws + Fly is enough to decimate plenty of non-resistant Pokemon.
Navizel
hahahahaha how the fuck is kangaskhan op hahaha like nigga use gallade hahahahahaha

also Mythical Legendaries are banned cause not everyone can get them.
NaomiMinette
So... gonna break this convo for a moment. This was posted recently:

EneT

Navizel wrote:

hahahahaha how the fuck is kangaskhan op hahaha like nigga use gallade hahahahahaha
That argument is invalid because if that was the case then any fighting type pokemon could beat kangaskhan. It can just fake out dealing 50% health then switch out while Gallade gets OHKO by every single priority user. With your argument you can say that a pokemon like Mewtwo isn't OP because it gets one shot by Sucker Punch which is stupid because it is still OP.

Competitive in DS is a lot less about strategy and more about who can make the best team so in a strategic standpoint, it is very un-balanced. With Smogon rules they take account all strategic and tactical possibilities and balance the game by placing pokemon in tiers. M-Kangaskhan is just OP, well tested by thousands of people by using against other top tier teams and it is a cut above anything in OU, hence why it belongs in Uber class while M-Gallade just borderlines the bottom of OU.
Navizel
except MGallade has Inner Focus and Kang is already dead before it can even switch. Although some are maybe smart enough to go straight for Sucker Punch and if that's the case, you can probably get a free SD.

also that was a joke. Kang is OP yes but Gallade counters her.
Faust
Mega Gallade wouldn't be stopped by Fake-Out yeah and 1 Sucker Punch is still not enough after trading hits unless they op for Shadow Claw or something.
EneT
itsss ya boi Azumarill with the 1744 attack stat
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-422429473

edit:
Also fuck this cancer
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-422454411
NaomiMinette

We're also getting more Sun/Moon news 5 days from now, according to Serebii.
Navizel
La Volpe
So... Pokemon snap is back in Pokemon Sun/Moon?! Awesome!
NaomiMinette
Whoops... forgot to post this:

Faust
I'm fine with extra-terrestrials.
Hika

Blazevoir wrote:

Whoops... forgot to post this:

-snip-
uh oh wtf
Navizel
ayylien waifu is 10/10
NaomiMinette
New JP Sun/Moon trailer (featuring a certain professor):

Navizel
It's an Alolan Form Oak
NaomiMinette
SPOILER
His cousin, actually--Nariya.
Anyway, another theory pic:

Hika

Navizel wrote:

It's an Alolan Form Oak

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Lanturn
CoroCoro should be leaking soon, and we also get more info on September 14th at 22:00 JST which is 14:00 BST, 15:00 CEST, 09:00 EDT, 06:00 PDT, 23:00 AEST (From Serebii)

We will learn about Rockruff's evolution and who knows what else at this point. These couple of weeks are going to be awesome!
PyaKura
Pre-ordered Moon today.

#TeamLunala

From what I have seen in all of those trailers is that GameFreak seems to have found a balance between catering for their usual younger playerbase and keeping the game relevant/interesting for the competitive/older playerbase, and a friend who's dropped the series right after the 3rd Gen has made a lot of good points I probably would not have thought of, since I've been following every main game from the start. I mean Pokémon SuMo, by the looks of it, is still the same colorful world we're all used to for generations, and so kids (and big kids - us, so to say) will most likely have no problem welcoming this new game. But I can't help but think that the content of the game is also aimed at an older audience.

First, Alolan Forms which are exclusively 1st gen critters only : at this point I am pretty sure that it's a good marketing move from GF's part to get returning players who dropped the series years ago. They'll basically rediscover some of their favorite mons - for some people they're the only ones they've ever known - under a new light.
Then, the introduction of a new, seemingly less ridiculous-looking bad guys who do not seem to have any "end-of-the-world"/apocalyptic motives (pure speculation, judging from their appearance only, who knows what they're really up to), similar to what we had with Team Rocket, the Pokémon counterpart of the mafia.
A more immersive game with lots of different camera angles and the loss of the grid-based movements and structure (well, it's still a grid, but it's pretty well camouflaged).
New abilities and mechanics which are all at least interesting, and a lot of seemingly competitively viable ones. More serious players may get a lot more toys to play with if that's the case, despite maybe not having as many new pokémon as with the previous gens. And let's not forget Z-moves.
Elements which I think are more mature and often found in supernatural or sci-fi works : sorcery and rituals and stuff actually being core to the world and not just a gimmick found in one particular location. Hopefully same thing with those chimera-things. They seem to be everything but Pokémon born from nature (are they even Pokémon??), and I can't help but think they're some sort of Pokémon experimentation that didn't go as expected (or they are actually the wanted result? I really can't wait to find out more about those.)

Anyhow those are my current thoughts and although I can make sense out of it, chances are what I've written might be a bit farfetch'd. I'm hyped as fuck right now.
NaomiMinette

Serebii wrote:

The first images from CoroCoro have leaked and have revealed the latest news on Sun & Moon. The name of the Pokémon Rockruff evolves into is Lugarugan and has a different appearance based on if it evolves during daytime or nighttime. Rockruff becomes the Midday Form when bathed in the rays of the sun and when full of the night's power, it becomes the Midnight Form. No types or further details have been given. There are also two Ultra Beasts called UB02, UB02 Beauty and UB02 Expansion. In the scan, it shows UB02 Expansion appearing in Pokémon Sun, facing off against Tapu Koko and UB02 Beauty facing off against Tapu Koko in Pokémon Moon. It also states that UB01's name is a mystery but may have a deep meaning. It also reveals that it will show the true strength of the new Pokémon, Type: Null, during its next issue.

Joe Merrick wrote:

The reason why there are two UB02 is because they're version exclusives. UB02 Expansion to Sun and UB02 Beauty to Moon.
Lanturn
Meanwhile in the anime...

Ash goes to school.
NaomiMinette
In other news, a new series of shorts are coming:

SilverBlade128
Hyped for Pokemon Generations
Navizel

eh
Hika
^ wtf did I just watch
Navizel
terraformars game
Navizel
bump
Hika
loving those z moves
gonna do that irl
NaomiMinette
Pika pika pii~

/shot
Yocake
That eevee...
NaomiMinette
English trailer:

Japanese trailer:
Navizel
http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/ne ... -features/
if anyone cares
thank god for mega ban. fuck mega kang and salamence
too bad i can't use m-gallade though
NaomiMinette
The download size for Sun/Moon has been released: 3.2 GB.

To put it in context: X/Y/OR/AS were 1.8 GB each, Super Smash Bros. 3DS was 2.1 GB, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D was 3.6 GB.
Hika
Jesus that is huge
show more