forum

General Pokemon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Jinxy
The Seedot family and Ferrothorn. Basically anything that looks round and also sharp. Chespin does look a little like a hedgehog, and has claws, so yeah.
deadbeat
it still just seems really weird for a grass type to learn those kinds of moves ;__;
Birdy
Goldeen knows Peck and Megahorn, for example. Flying and Bug moves, but there, because horn.
deadbeat
pokemon logic always seems to get the better of me ;__;
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Marill and Miltank have Rollout. Samurott and Sceptile have Aerial Ace, for example. In Japan "Aerial Ace" is actually the name of a sword technique so it's a case of an arguably poor localization making things seem weird.
kcaze

Ekaru wrote:

Ability is "Parental Bond" - its attacks hit twice.
An ability that doubles your damage + breaks through subs seems kind of broken...
rust45
Pretty sure all the mega's will be broken. Curious on how it will affect the metagame. If they're allowed in random wifi you'll pretty much be forced to be carrying a mega pokemon with you at all times.
deadbeat
i wonder if all mega's will be event only, like mega blazekin
kcaze
Is it confirmed that Mega Blaziken can only be received through the download event? Also, given how many WTF things have been revealed so far, I wouldn't be too surprised if they reveal a Pokemon with 3 types XD.
deadbeat
for me, only really 2 wtf's have been added. also in the mega evolution trailer, it say:
Torchic comes with a mega stone, blazekinite, that can't be obtained through normal play.

i think it's a safe bet that most other mega stones will be distributed in a similar way. or at the very least, you might get 1 or 2 during the game. guess will have to wait
Topic Starter
Ekaru

deadbeat wrote:

i think it's a safe bet that most other mega stones will be distributed in a similar way. or at the very least, you might get 1 or 2 during the game. guess will have to wait
From the site:
Some of the many Mega Stones seem to be hidden in secret places in the Kalos region. Finding every one of them will be one of the challenges awaiting you in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y!
Sounds more like there'll be some event-only Mega Stones but "normal" Mega Stones will be findable in-game. As in, the Blazikenite is the exception, not the rule.
deadbeat
guess i missed that quote, thanks for clarifying

edit: finally found my first shiny. gyarados doesn't count and haven't got that Haxorus yet
Birdy
I've got only one shiny so far. A ? Unown.
kcaze
Ekaru, where's that quote on Mega Stones from? I don't see it on Serebii or Pokebeach.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

kcaze wrote:

Ekaru, where's that quote on Mega Stones from? I don't see it on Serebii or Pokebeach.
From the official site: pokemonxy.com
deadbeat
right, so mega form is only usable during combat ;__;
kcaze

Ekaru wrote:

From the official site: pokemonxy.com
Oh, XD. I never check the official sites for gaming news.
Birdy

deadbeat wrote:

right, so mega form is only usable during combat ;__;
Well, that's a relief, at least. Still not sure if wasting my money on 3DS just because of XY. I could like buy BW2 or finish my White which I played for like probably not even 60 hours.
Azure_Kite

Not entirely game related, but OH MY GOD.
Jinxy
Wait

That's actually going to be a thing, not a fanmade trailer

holy fuck
Saneaux
I don't really like the idea of the mega evolutions because it kinda takes from the feel of what Pokemon used to be, and I think that's the reason why some Pokemon fans are still actually playing. They've kind of ruined a lot of the Pokemon games after Gold and Silver, but I loved the first 7 games, so I'll just play for the story and the battles. I liked most of newer Pokemon, but some were kinda lame :/
NaomiMinette

Dat ending...
rust45
Never thought I'd hear dubstep used in a Pokemon related trailer.
Katze

Azure_Kite wrote:

Not entirely game related, but OH MY GOD.
totally awesome~
NaomiMinette
Imma leave this here (fanmade game):

EDIT: The Shiny Dialga distribution event in North America has started. Europeans will be able to get this Pokémon later this month (the 30th).
Topic Starter
Ekaru
NaomiMinette
Demo footage:

Professor Prinny
X and Y might be the best Pokemon games yet with all of the showing off they're doing. Also the pace they're showing new stuff is actually good.
NaomiMinette
Seeing as this wasn't posted yet, I'll do it instead:

Discuss Sylveon's ability to resist Politoed's Life Orb-powered, critting Hydro Pump that was also powered up from the rain
Azure_Kite
Yeah, what a blast.

double damage from critting,
1.5 damage from drizzle,
1.5 damage from STAB,
1.3 damage from Life Orb.

We're looking at a pokemon that can survive all of this with half HP remaining.

It's going to be a pain in the ass to beat with special attacks, like Umbreon.

EDIT: Just testing this with an Umbreon with average stats at level 50. I'll just leave this here:

NaomiMinette
Uhh... Hang on... Your pic shows Umbreon at Lv100 when Politoed and Sylveon in the video were both Lv50.

Anyway, in other news:

Serebii wrote:

Pokémon - Gamescom Demo

The special games conference, Gamescom, has begun today and contains the recent Pokémon X & Y demo. This demo is being shown in English for the first time in Gamescom and thanks to NintenDaan, we have footage of the entire demo. While not much is shown that is new, it does showcase the mechanics of the game in English, ending with a special montage
Edit @ 14:06: Nintendo have also announced that the Pokémon X & Y demos, most likely the same as seen at the Pokémon Games Show and at Gamescom this past week, will be available for play by visitors to the gaming event PAX Prime at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle from August 30th to September 2nd.

Azure_Kite
Derp. I forgot to edit that value, although since the stat info I entered was the Average for a level 50 pokemon, the outcome was the same, ultimately D:

Even with Smogon's calculator, it's a 1HKO. Under the current damage calculation system at least, if Politoed was Average in IV and had no EVs, Sylveon with average IVs would need to have around 300 base Sp. Def at Level 50 to have the amount of tankiness it demonstrated during the battle. Which I find hard to believe.

Noobita
is it possible sylveon has the ability multiscale?
mm201

Edit: Unrelated, but I wonder if Megas are only for ubers. It would help to diversify the tier while not ruining the balance of OU.
NaomiMinette

Noobita wrote:

is it possible sylveon has the ability multiscale?
I talked to one of my friends about that. It's a weird possibility, but I think it was just a bad case of IV's/EV's on Politoed's case.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Can someone who has a comp capable of HD kindly get some HP bar screens for us? That'd be 4 pics, once for each different state of Sylveon's HP Bar. Use this video for clarity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jG0V8F0NY0

The first hit - a crit - definitely did more damage but "how much more?" is what I'm looking for here.
Noobita
full hp: http://i.imgur.com/FJDCFMT.jpg
after first hydro pump: http://i.imgur.com/LUn3NUT.jpg
after draining kiss: http://i.imgur.com/HmryjpN.jpg
after second hydro pump: http://i.imgur.com/qh0O3B8.jpg
i screened it at 1080p hd i hope it's clear enough
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Thanks! Yeah, those are clear enough and the HP Bar is about the same size on each one. Using good ol' paper, pencil, and ruler, I can approximate the crit as doing about 1.5x more than the non-crit. I did this twice and got the same measurements each time. A guy on another forum also used the same method to approximate it and got the same result.

We'll have to wait for the game to come out to be sure but it's very possible that criticals are nerfed.
NaomiMinette
Just a reminder
Pokémon Black, White, Black 2 & White 2 - Dialga Event

For those of you in Europe, the Dialga event is now running in stores across the contintent as well as in Canada and Australia. This event gives a Level 100 Shiny Dialga to Pokémon Black, White, Black 2 & White 2 games. This event is unique in that it's the first event to distribute a Dialga as a shiny The event lasts until September 12th so be sure to get it while you can. The stores you can get it in are as follows
GAME in the UK, EB Games in Canada and Australia, JB HiFi in New Zealand, Micromania, Toys "R" Us, Cultura, Fnac, La Grande Récré, Picwic, and JouéClub in France, GameStop and Toys "R" Us in Italy, Germany, Switzerland & Austria, Blade Center, Fnac, Canal Ocio, El Corta Inglés, GAME, GameStop, Gamestore, Hipercor, Media Markt, Toys "R" Us, and Worten in Spain, GAME in Portugal, TOYS"R"US and GameStop in Sweden, GameMania in Belgium and Media Markt and Saturn in the Netherlands
deadbeat
sounds like the original 3 starters can mega evolve as well

edit: Special Red & Blue Nintendo 3DS XL have been announced for North America and Europe. They will be released on September 27th

more edits:
show more