forum

General Pokemon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Hika

Crescent- wrote:

IMO it is not that important on a storyline-playthrough, since levels and move coverage can win you gym badges etc, but it takes quite the effort to reset EVs with berries and such post-game (if you actually wanted to go Wi-Fi). I did EV reset post-game on SS and it took me quite a while, growing the berries, resetting, and actually raising the pokemon by a level (raised a level 80 starmie by whacking through level 20ish mareeps for sp.atk EVs. Got +21 sp.atk when levelled up though).
Which is why I save all of this for post-story things. It seems more troubling the way people in this thread put it. It was never difficult for me when I first started getting concerned with EVs.
NaomiMinette
That's the thing: I don't wanna have to deal with it later; I'd rather take care of the situation ASAP so it doesn't become a problem... well... later.
Crestallia

Hika wrote:

Crescent- wrote:

IMO it is not that important on a storyline-playthrough, since levels and move coverage can win you gym badges etc, but it takes quite the effort to reset EVs with berries and such post-game (if you actually wanted to go Wi-Fi). I did EV reset post-game on SS and it took me quite a while, growing the berries, resetting, and actually raising the pokemon by a level (raised a level 80 starmie by whacking through level 20ish mareeps for sp.atk EVs. Got +21 sp.atk when levelled up though).
Which is why I save all of this for post-story things. It seems more troubling the way people in this thread put it. It was never difficult for me when I first started getting concerned with EVs.
I actually tried EV training from the beginning on Black 2, and it's pretty difficult progressing on the story. I think EV training from the get go and post-story should take relatively the same amount of time, but post- story you can do it way more freely, so I agree with you on this one. I just tend to get bored EV training post-story though.
Van246

Blazevoir wrote:

But in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald(?), once your Pokémon reaches Lvl 100, the only way you can "retrain" EV's is if you transferred them to Gen V. I mean, I doubt I could reach that level even after beating the main story, but those EV reset berries are a pain to grow ._.

Blazevoir wrote:

That's the thing: I don't wanna have to deal with it later; I'd rather take care of the situation ASAP so it doesn't become a problem... well... later.
okay, first of all, trying to EV train from the start of the story is pointless, and a waste of time

The IV of wild pokemons are never decent, and EV training will mean avoiding trainers as well
EV training without pokerus is just a waste of time, and IF you REALLY want to IV/EV train your pokemon, thats what breeding is for...
IVs will suck anyways unless you actually breed it like 3 generations, natures will mis-match, and can easily mess up EV training if you try it on the journey

everything should be done after the game, where you can fly to where ever you want, so you can farm on places where only 1 type of EV appears, have pokerus, have those power items, and have a high level pokemon that can farm pokemon in 1 hit. (to count easily)

If you're doing this EV training for battles with friends and what-not, the IVs of these wild captured pokemons are nothing compared to breeded pokemons.
Honestly, looking at results and efficency, EV trained while traveling is a lot less effective and efficent than breeding it later, getting the right nature and IV, THEN start EV training.

Leveling up isnt a problem either, getting to lv100 only takes like 3 hours to do

To sum it up, EV training while traveling is worthless because:
a) The pokemon's nature/IV will most likely suck anyways
b) Takes too long to farm EV, might be impossible to, because of events and trainers, also hard to count how many you farmed off of
c) Beating it first then breeding it is 100x faster and raises better pokemon
Lance
So I decided on this team for my playthrough:

I really don't like trading pokemon in for a playthrough. It kinda goes against the purpose of playing that specific game's main storyline in the first place imo. Also, worrying about EVs/IVs in game is kinda unnecessary... imo. Then again, I'm not a fan of meta so my opinion on EVs/IVs is biased.
Hika
Oh an Espeon, I reminds me when I actually kicked Lance's ass with an Umbreon. Nice team though.
mm201
EVing is way overkill for an ingame team. It's already easy without them, combined with all the above reasons.
I play through a new story once without trading, but after that, I like using exotic Pokemon to mix things up and have more fun.

On my next Ruby playthrough, I'll be using a "Sinnoh" theme team, but without Sinnohs because it's Gen3, instead using Pokemon like Rapidash, Sneasel, and Noctowl.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
EVing ingame teams is silly, really. It's far more efficient to do it post-game. :P But whatever floats people's boats, I guess.
Lance
I forgot to mention that I try for helpful natures, but if it's something that has a shitty spawn rate and I'm trying to catch it just to complete the storyline (I'm looking at you Riolu) I usually just go with the first I find.

Also, does anyone else notice the drastic increase in BGM quality throughout the generations? HG sounds awful compared to BW2.
NaomiMinette
Gen III's soundtrack was the worst IMO, but I'd rather not get into this.

SO! Is anyone else getting Gates to Infinity? (I wanna know because this and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is coming out the same day, so if more people get GtI, I'll be playing that first. If not, then LM:DM.)
mm201
Gen3 had some awesome tracks like Route 119, Route 120, Meteor Falls, and the Abandoned Ship.
D/P/Pt probably have the most number of awesome tracks crammed into a single game however.
NaomiMinette

mm201 wrote:

D/P/Pt probably have the most number of awesome tracks crammed into a single game however.
I'd have to agree here. I particularly love the Bike music here compared to the other 4 (6 if you include FR/LG/HG/SS).
Seph

IM SORRY I CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT
Laharl

Blazevoir wrote:

mm201 wrote:

I'd have to agree here. I particularly love the Bike music here compared to the other 4 (6 if you include FR/LG/HG/SS).
Yaw. The Rival battle music. <3
NaomiMinette

Seph wrote:

IM SORRY I CANT GET ENOUGH OF IT
Yes, yes, we get it already >_>
bmin11

If you ask me, this is still one of my favorite pokemon BGM
Hika
Gen V's different BGMs made me feel so great. I still think Gen IV had some of the best though, or rather just Johto. I like the remakes of them. Who knows, it's a tie between those two generations. Oh man, this is just getting me even more pumped up about X and Y.
Mogsy
I dunno, I didn't mind the MIDI trumpet overdose in Gen III. But then again, as far as those games are concerned, I also count the Gamecube RPG entries in terms of music, which had some actually rather decent music that telegraphed the changes IV/V would make (for the better). But still, R/S/E had one of the best Elite 4 BGMs.

When it comes to EV-training, yeah, it tends to take the same amount of time post-game and during-game if you do the actual number crunching, but I personally do feel like it's silly since the games are easy enough without having to do those.
NaomiMinette
Whoops, forgot about the consoles' music :o

I actually enjoyed both of the GameCube titles' OSTs, probably more than Gen IV's music.
Azure_Kite
Of all the Generations though, I think Generation V's Unwavering Emotions is by far the most emotive song. It inspires so many feelings in me ;~;

Also, Farewell, N

Saso-Hikage
Actually some of my favorite songs are from Gen V.
Especially the song being played inside the the Ancient Castle

Ava
Why no one mentioning this?

NoHitter

Azure_Kite wrote:

Of all the Generations though, I think Generation V's Unwavering Emotions is by far the most emotive song. It inspires so many feelings in me ;~;

Agreed.

One of the best remixes of that song:
mm201

Mogsworth wrote:

I dunno, I didn't mind the MIDI trumpet overdose in Gen III.
That and the horns added so much delicious cheese :)

If we're doing youtube now:
bmin11
Kind of unrelated, but I can't help but to think that Iris's Focus Sash'd Haxorus to be such a nasty trap lol

Who would have thought Gamefreak would put a Dragon Dancing Haxorus with a Focus Sash
0_o

It was so disappointing when I beat the last of Team Plasma and never got to hear it ingame again :( I like this version much more than the sequel's remix.

On a side note, anyone ever done the Nuzlocke challenge? For those who don't know, the rules are:
1) You can only capture the first pokemon that appears in each area
2) You have to release any pokemon that faints (or just permanently box it if you prefer)
There's also somewhat of an unofficial rule that you have to nickname all of your pokemon; makes you more attached to them and multiplies the turmoil when they die in an unjust and totally unfair death.

I started one with HG last week or so. I was doing great, only losing a Gastly very early on.. and then yesterday I lost my Bayleef to a critical hit Fire Punch from a Hitmonchan in Chuck's gym :( Only had it out to set up a Reflect.

Pokemon has never been so emotional.

Comic that gave birth to the challenge. Take an hour or two out of your day for this emotional rollercoaster.
bmin11

bmin11 wrote:

Got myself a rom of White 2 with Challenge Mode key with it. I'm thinking of playing this game with the Nuzlocke Challenge for the first time.
I kind of lost my interest half way through. I should grind less and get on with the game already. Actually, I might just play it right now.

I also went with the rule of having an extra 2 chances if I encounter a pokemon I already caught before.

My party so far:
Lv.27 Dewott (Impish nature)
Lv.25 Elekid (Naughty nature)
Lv.25 Braviary (Relaxed nature)
Lv.26 Petilil (Timid nature) (I tried to snipe Eevee, but my plan failed)
Lv.18 Sandile (Mild nature)
Lv.26 Growlithe (Mild nature)

I wish I had a Lillipup in my team, but that's how the game goes I guess.
awp

0_o wrote:

It was so disappointing when I beat the last of Team Plasma and never got to hear it ingame again :( I like this version much more than the sequel's remix.[/url]
that theme fucking rocks

I remember playing White and this theme came on and I was all, "What the fuck, the music in this game is good?"
bmin11
That song is one of the few reasons why I would look for my ear phones. Otherwise, mute.

Unfortunately, I don't really have much notice on BW 1&2 musics, because of playing on muted most of the time :<
Laharl

0_o wrote:

I started one with HG last week or so. I was doing great, only losing a Gastly very early on.. and then yesterday I lost my Bayleef to a critical hit Fire Punch from a Hitmonchan in Chuck's gym :( Only had it out to set up a Reflect.

Pokemon has never been so emotional.
Yep, on Red and on Ruby.

I did some other Nuzlocke Challenges though. THMon for example. D:
deadbeat

Azure_Kite

I'm tempted.
NaomiMinette

deadbeat wrote:

Brb, hospital trip. Ily for showing this XD

Azure_Kite wrote:

I'm tempted.
Wat.
Hika

Azure_Kite wrote:

I'm tempted.
This made my day completely better, especially that first line. Man, I cannot unsee.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Azure_Kite wrote:

I'm tempted.
Do it
Azure_Kite
I'm surprised there isn't a rule about reviving pokemon at a pokemon centre. Surely that has to be heretical or something, considering it conflicts with the whole "BUT ONLY JESUS CAN USE REVIVE" thing.

Unless I nickname all my pokemon jesus.
Seph

Azure_Kite wrote:

I'm tempted.
challenge accepted
Ava

Seph wrote:

Azure_Kite wrote:

I'm tempted.
challenge accepted
Me too, gonna try it on my Platinum.
Azure_Kite
I already am; chose Piplup~
deadbeat
can't for the life of me remember if i posted this before, so just in case i didn't
show more