General Pokemon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Laharl
I'm talking about B2/W2.

But PMD's great. D:
bmin11
I'm not sure why you couldn't switch both pokemons out at the same time (we are talking about normal 2v2 battle ex. Twins, right?)
DeathxShinigami
Hi everyone!

Tired of training your weak mons to have good ev's and iv's? Well there's an answer to that which is to play Pokemon Showdown!

Pokemon Showdown is a cool 5th gen Pokemon battle simulator which allows you to create your own mons with various movesets iv's ev's, genders, and items! Generally considered as one of the better Pokemon Simulators Along with lol Pokemon Online Showdown is a pretty fun way to team test and get better and learn how to play competitive Pokemon in general.

Link

Feel free to ask me if you need any assistance with the game. :)
Hika

Laharl wrote:

It's like this:
- Enter a 2v2 battle.
- Your first Pokémon faints by an attack of enemy A.
- Your second Pokémon faints by an attack from enemy B.
- You're not able to switch in between.
- You're unable to replace 2 Pokémon at the same time.
- Congratulations, this would be a Game Over in other games. You have to restart from the last point you saved.

I hate this!
You can replace two Pokémon at once. I thought that I was done for & had to restart but you have to read carefully at what the dialog is saying. I got confused with the dialog but that's the only thing that really made me rage at my game. Well, that & PWT while I was going against Whitney...
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Laharl wrote:

It's like this:
- Enter a 2v2 battle.
- Your first Pokémon faints by an attack of enemy A.
- Your second Pokémon faints by an attack from enemy B.
- You're not able to switch in between.
- You're unable to replace 2 Pokémon at the same time.
- Congratulations, this would be a Game Over in other games. You have to restart from the last point you saved.

I hate this!
...Eh? What the heck are you trying to do? You just choose one Pokemon to switch in and then another. >_>;
Hika
You can replace 2 Pokémon at once, it's just what Ekaru says. The dialog will ask who you want to go in, then it will ask who you want to switch it out for (which is supposed to be a fainted Pokémon). It will then ask you to do the same for the second Pokémon & that's pretty much it.
Jinxy
Yeah, that confused me a lot when I played BW1, I just started tapping randomly then it worked and I was like "oh, but that's so friggin unintuitive", considering position doesn't matter in a double battle.
WhoAteFred
Hello everyone!
My interest in pokemon has been rekindled due to finding people who play it IRL, and I need to basically catch up. The only pokemon game in my possession at the moment is my copy of Emerald, which has a dead clock battery. So basically, I wonder if I should get a copy of HG/SS and transfer over and play through Johto(which I never did play through,) or just jump into the ever so popular B2/W2.
Hika
HGSS! Play that one first! It's very amazing, I'm in love with it. <3
Professor Prinny

Hika wrote:

HGSS! Play that one first! It's very amazing, I'm in love with it. <3
^That and then move on to the BW series. Better to soak things slowly.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

WhoAteFred wrote:

Hello everyone!
My interest in pokemon has been rekindled due to finding people who play it IRL, and I need to basically catch up. The only pokemon game in my possession at the moment is my copy of Emerald, which has a dead clock battery. So basically, I wonder if I should get a copy of HG/SS and transfer over and play through Johto(which I never did play through,) or just jump into the ever so popular B2/W2.
If the people you know who play it IRL are playing 5th gen games then go with B2/W2 first, and pick up a 4th gen game - either Platinum or HGSS - for more catchable Pokemon.

After all, if you're playing it due to people you know playing it then you want to be able to trade and battle with them and stuff.
WhoAteFred
The people I know still have copies of 4th gen games, and they'd be happy to trade with me. As for battling, I do have to say multiplayer battling is not exactly the top of my priorities. I have heard BW series is great though.
DeathxShinigami
Personally I don't think it really matters though if I hadn't played pokemon in awhile I'd go to BW first since I'd be better used to the battle and in-game mechanics of Gen 5. Though HG/SS (4th) is really cool as well if you have no idea what to go about in 5th Gen. But meh. HGSS had the harder games imo. (Besides the fact I am a hardcore Ledyba user) Overall I suggest BW games to start off with since 4th is basically over in terms of playing with friends.

Oh yeah, don't listen to Blazevoir. He really is very biased with Gen 5 games :lol:
NaomiMinette
I am NOT biased >_> It's just I prefer playing the latest Gen when possible; this also extends to the spin-offs.
South
when i played pokemon i played gen1, gen2 , gen4(HGSS) and i just recently got wite 2 and i want friends to trade / battle :3
Topic Starter
Ekaru

WhoAteFred wrote:

The people I know still have copies of 4th gen games, and they'd be happy to trade with me. As for battling, I do have to say multiplayer battling is not exactly the top of my priorities. I have heard BW series is great though.
Okay, then I suggest Platinum and then later get BW2. Platinum is a lot more user-friendly than HGSS, among other things. HGSS has nostalgia and a better UI going for it, but that's about it. Its level distribution is arse so it switches between being easy and pretty hard... unless you spend a lot of time grinding. Which takes forever because there's no easy way to level. Whereas Platinum has a great level curve and the VS Seeker so that's never an issue.

Unless you like preparing to fight level 40s by grinding on level 24s, I really don't recommend HGSS for your first gen 4/5 game.
Hika
To be honest, I have to side with Ekaru. Please, play Platinum because yes, playing with HGSS can probably drive your mentality straight to the ground; normally after fighting with the Elite Four, everything gets too hard for your liking, calling for harder grinding which isn't so fun. I honestly had to skip that for DS & play it on an emulator because I couldn't handle all that the game offered.
mm201
I don't know why they didn't redo the level curve for HGSS. I'm a hardcore gen2 nostalgiafag and it wouldn't have bothered me.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
DxS says to go 5th gen first.

I agree. :P

But eh.
Hika
Who knows, just go with whatever your heart tells you to go with; either way, you'll be playing both hopefully.
WhoAteFred
Actually, that is what I ultimately decided. I'll get both hg /ss and b/w. Indeed the simplest answer prevails.
Hika
/me deserves Nobel Peace Prize
Have fun with Whitney at Goldenrod...
Ava

Hika wrote:

Topic Starter
Ekaru

Ava wrote:

Hika wrote:

Actually, any fight after you get to Goldenrod can be easy if you want it to be. All you have to do is buy a shitload of X items. Then just bump up the appropriate defense stat of your Pokemon, then boost the appropriate offense stat while healing as necessary, and then just destroy the opponent with your buffed up Pokemon.
WhoAteFred
AKA:abuse items, got it.
Hika
X items? WHOA, PEOPLE USE THEM? I never actually use them.
NaomiMinette

Hika wrote:

South
or u can trade for the machop in the giant pokemart ._.
Hika
>Machop
who uses this
DeathxShinigami

Hika wrote:

>Machop
who uses this
It's people like you Hika that makes me doubt the osu! player base of Pokemon. Machop is by far one of the best mons to have on your team at that point in the game. It completely obliterates all of the Normals in the Gym when you first receive it by a trade and can pull it's own weight with the rest of your team. I mean sure it's not going to be Machamp if you have no one to trade with but it's a good mon to use in HG/SS.
Hika
so mad

Actually, I forgot she was a normal type user. It makes sense but I don't ever recall going to the Pokémon Center in Goldenrod so I had no idea. Machop is just not my type of Pokémon, woooo ~opinions~.

EDIT: I kinda forgot to say that I'm not always about strategy. Whatever I have, I stick to it & I'm pretty biased about certain Pokémon. I'm probably not the only one at least.
South
arcanine > other pokes
bmin11
I loved Arcanine until BW2. God I had to grind him hard just to use for story mode orz
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Blazevoir wrote:

Hika wrote:

I used to not to until I read about it and tried it myself in HGSS 'cuz I was stuck against Claire.

My Furret swept Claire thanks to those items. You guys should really try it out yourself some time - it makes certain fights 100x easier. Tripling your Pokemon's stats is just amazing, period.

EDIT: *Quadrupling, not tripling. My bad.
South

bmin11 wrote:

I loved Arcanine until BW2. God I had to grind him hard just to use for story mode orz
arcanine was first poke i ever grinded to 100 ._. and he kicks total a** now
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Arcanine is very good in the Pokemon World Tournament, actually, but you have to breed and train it right.\

Milotic is also great with DxS's amazing EV spread. I actually cloned an extra (pokecheck + pokegts IIRC) just for PWT so that I could replace Hypnosis with Toxic while keeping Hypnosis for mp battles.
bmin11
Can I also take a look into the build as well?
mm201
Sandshrew got me through Whitney. Arcanine always seemed to have a pathetic movepool, but I haven't looked at him much since gen3.
My first lv100 was a Jolteon. It's part of a long story involving shiny Seviper. >___<
DeathxShinigami
Arcanine in my opinion I think still isn't that good. 95 speed I find to be too slow at times and the attack stat can disappoint me when I need it to shine too :c

Though a good moveset of Blitz, E-speed, Wild Charge + CC is pretty decent but the recoil hurts. There's also Crunch and Morning Sun. So good enough movepool to make decent sets.

@bmin The Milotic spread I run is just 252hp + 252def +4spdef, Bold. Since there's no point of keeping Milotic in against special based elec or grass mons since Milotic loses 1v1 against them anyways. Rather patch up Milo's not so good Defense instead to make it more balanced. Thought Ekaru ran a different spread I could be wrong.
bmin11
I didn't had any lv.100 (closes was Swampert with lv.92 for gen 3). I had no post elite four gameplay pretty much :/

EDIT: How about the movepool? If I have to guess, Surf/Recover/Toxic (switch Surf to Scald if not Toxic) and a last move that I can't think of with my head.
show more