forum

General Pokemon Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Justykanna
I personally liked the non-mandatory HMs simply because I'd want my best Pokémon team to progress through the game. I don't want to have an HM slave sitting with me who can do little to nothing in battle.
The re-useable TMs are good... but a little OP for certain points in the game.

Black was good (story was impressively good) but I think Platinum is my favourite. Simply because in Black, there's no way to level after you've beaten the Elite Four the first time around except against wild Pokémon, which give less experience. Platinum, there was a way to level all through. The best part being the Survival House (where you rematch Gym Leaders).
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Justykanna wrote:

Black was good (story was impressively good) but I think Platinum is my favourite. Simply because in Black, there's no way to level after you've beaten the Elite Four the first time around except against wild Pokémon, which give less experience. Platinum, there was a way to level all through. The best part being the Survival House (where you rematch Gym Leaders).
Very true. VS Seeker for gen 6, please.
mm201
I didn't like HMs being made optional. It contributed to the game's linearity. (no broken bridges for you)
Drakari_old

mm201 wrote:

I didn't like HMs being made optional. It contributed to the game's linearity. (no broken bridges for you)
Wait, you're saying removing mandatory HMs made the game MORE linear? Or did you like it being linear? Or did removing the HMs make it feel more linear since they had to make up a bunch of other stuff to keep you going in the right direction (which earlier games did do to some extent even with the HMs)?
mm201
Read it again. Because of the reduced role of HMs, there was next to no backtracking. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BrokenBridge)
Backtracking is a good thing since it makes the map design feel more complex.
Justykanna

Ekaru wrote:

Justykanna wrote:

Very true. VS Seeker for gen 6, please.
Good God, I miss that thing. Training off wild Pokémon takes forever...
mm201
Farm money from the Lady and Rich Boy near the Trophy Garden
Buy 999 Max and Super Repels
Chain shinies
Profit
Hika

Justykanna wrote:

It's okay now because in Black & White 2, you are able to level so much after the Elite Four; the champion mode & the battle tower make it so much easier.
Soaprman
At least from my point, here's the deal with HMs. I love the flavor of them... that as you grow as a trainer, you can teach your pokémon practical abilities to help you navigate natural obstacles. And it just feels right that these abilities are also things they can do in battle, even if some of them are kind of a stretch (hello waterfall).

However, most of the HM moves are only decent when you get the HM and they become outright bad after you progress a bit. When you get Cut, it's an alright move... it's on par with any of your other attacks, even if it's normal-type with no other effects. But a couple gyms later and you're learning moves that are way better and there's Cut, taking up that slot you could be filling with Razor Leaf or Bite. And late in the game Cut is just outright bad. You want rid of it. But you need to be prepared to cut down trees! So you stack your shitty HM moves on a slave pokémon and force yourself to play with a smaller team for no good reason.

Then on the other end there's Surf, which is better than most water-type moves your pokémon will ever learn. It's too easy to just slap Surf on any water-type that isn't mainly a physical attacker.

And now I come back to this post that I started writing a couple hours ago before going and doing something else and decide to just press submit.
Drakari_old

mm201 wrote:

Backtracking is a good thing
Guess we just don't see eye-to-eye on the issue...
Though I also don't see how the reduced role of HMs would reduce backtracking, unless you're talking about the horrible waste of time where after getting any HM you go back over all the places you've been and try to find all the places it can be used to get something special.
mm201
I mean stuff like the river to the right of Mauville in RS that you actually go to much later.
The alternative to HMs is either using items (surfboard, axe, ...) or, as they did in BW, making the region disgracefully linear.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Beat the E4.

Will was by far the hardest member. Lance was by far the easiest member. I... I think I'm doing it wrong. >_>;
Drakari_old

mm201 wrote:

I mean stuff like the river to the right of Mauville in RS that you actually go to much later.
The alternative to HMs is either using items (surfboard, axe, ...) or, as they did in BW, making the region disgracefully linear.
Okay, I get it now. I don't see it as a significant problem, but I get what you dislike.

An alternative solution would be to let pokemon learn HM moves as non-combat moves, so you wouldn't need an HM slave (Or two to get all the moves) to avoid messing up your main team but also wouldn't be stuck with mediocre moves that can't be deleted.
Justykanna

Drakari wrote:

An alternative solution would be to let pokemon learn HM moves as non-combat moves, so you wouldn't need an HM slave (Or two to get all the moves) to avoid messing up your main team but also wouldn't be stuck with mediocre moves that can't be deleted.
Agreed fully.
I, myself, don't mind linear maps if it means not carrying around an HM Slave or two, but I'd be fine if HM moves didn't take slots at all.
Stefan
Okay, so I started to play Pearl again. I planned to use this pokemons:
Bastiodon, Empoleon, Lucario, Drifblim, Salamence and one more (Idk which Pokemon should I choose)

I kinda choose them randomly, because I did not have a real plan what should I take during the game.
What do you think?
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Just use a bunch of Pokemon you like. Ingame isn't too tough as long as you make sure your Pokemon aren't severely underleveled.
Stefan

Ekaru wrote:

Just use a bunch of Pokemon you like. Ingame isn't too tough as long as you make sure your Pokemon aren't severely underleveled.
ikr but I just wonder how other people think about these Team.
Justykanna
Ekaru pretty much said it. Pretty much any team can beat the game.
As long as you have a good type mix.

You've got three Steel types but it seems you have their weaknesses covered pretty well. Though Bastiodon and Empoleon aren't exactly meant for speed. =P
http://pokemon.marriland.com/diamond_pe ... m_builder/

Put your Pokemon into here if you're worried about weaknesses and such. Enjoy.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Stefan wrote:

Ekaru wrote:

ikr but I just wonder how other people think about these Team.
I would say replace Empoleon with a pure Water type and add in an electric or fire type.
Justykanna
Just beware of the number of Pokemon you have weak to rock and ground.
DeathxShinigami

Ekaru wrote:

I would say replace Empoleon with a pure Water type and add in an electric or fire type.
^ lol what.

I heavily suggest getting any fire type pokemon that you can. (Really rare type to find in D/P) And suggest dumping Drifblim for a Haunter or Gengar if trading is available to you as they have superior attacking stats and much more useful attacking moves they can learn as well. Keep Empoleon as the typing makes it only weak to the ever easy to notice elec ground and fighting attacks where as Salamence can usually switch in upon prediciting plus Empoleon has an amazing array of resistances.
Stefan

Justykanna wrote:

Ekaru pretty much said it. Pretty much any team can beat the game.
As long as you have a good type mix.

You've got three Steel types but it seems you have their weaknesses covered pretty well. Though Bastiodon and Empoleon aren't exactly meant for speed. =P
http://pokemon.marriland.com/diamond_pe ... m_builder/

Put your Pokemon into here if you're worried about weaknesses and such. Enjoy.
Ughuu, looks pretty cool.
Hika
My Lucario lacked so much when I started Black 2; it's attack was quite low. Anyways, allow me to express my love for this man in a spoiler box.
Topic Starter
Ekaru
N is <3
awp
N is a member of team plasma? Way to fucking spoil a story I never gave a rats ass about in the first place
Topic Starter
Ekaru

awp wrote:

N is a member of team plasma? Way to fucking spoil a story I never gave a rats ass about in the first place
I could spoil how that's not entirely correct but that would be more spoiling.
Jinxy
Oh shit is that seriously in BW2
I like it so much more already
Azure_Kite
Hika
I like how his eyes went all derpy. Also, Ekaru, icwudt. I love N though, his story is quite complex & filled with mysteries.
theowest
After reading 80 reply mails from osu, this thread is by far the most replied thread I'm subscribed to. good job
Stefan
^wow.

Well I beat the Elite 4 in Pearl.
With really underleveled Pokemons. My Team was only 53/54 except of my Dragonite with Level 55.. this took me some trys to beat Cynthia at the end.
It was more or less luck that I finally beat her. My Impoleon survived against Garchomp and this was my chance to use Avalanche against it.
Topic Starter
Ekaru

Stefan wrote:

^wow.

Well I beat the Elite 4 in Pearl.
With really underleveled Pokemons. My Team was only 53/54 except of my Dragonite with Level 55.. this took me some trys to beat Cynthia at the end.
It was more or less luck that I finally beat her. My Impoleon survived against Garchomp and this was my chance to use Avalanche against it.
Actually, your team isn't underleveled. A team of Pokemon around level 50 is the norm and is actually what the official guide recommends. Also, for future reference, always bring in a crapton of X items to the E4 because those help loads if you get stuck because they let you create a Super Pokemon. ^_^
Hika
OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD

Pokémon Black/White 2 has a new English Promotional Trailer.

SPOILER
Colress sounds like a pedo & N sounds so crappy. Someone save me. Cheren also sounds like a surfer dude.

http://www.gamezone.com/products/pokemo ... -2-black-2
Stefan

Ekaru wrote:

Also, for future reference, always bring in a crapton of X items to the E4 because those help loads if you get stuck because they let you create a Super Pokemon. ^_^
Ye, I start to like this Items. They helped me often in bad situations. But for now I also should buy them and not just expect that I find them on my way. xD
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Corless sounds awesome. N should've had a British voice actor, though. Don't ask why; it just would've fit!
Azure_Kite
Yes. N Needs a suave, british chap with a cockney accent.

"OI! YER MORONS. RELEASE YER POKEMON"
Hika
I think he would sound better with a British accent as well. I dunno, that just seems more fitting because his character is mad odd.
awp
I think he would sound better choking on the barrel of a loaded handgun
Topic Starter
Ekaru
Why didn't anyone post this song here earlier? (inb4 I did the tags wrong)

It's a catchy song.
awp
idk but I'm impressed by the music in Pokemon Gen V. Some of it isn't just "good for a Pokemon game", it's genuinely bitchin
show more