forum

Alternating jumps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Joltie
any full or semi-alt players- is it realistic to be able to alternate jumps? Especially 1-2 jumps. I'm trying to learn a semi-alt playstyle, but although I can single tap jumps kinda intermediately, I'm finding it really hard to alternate them. Is it an achievable, and more importantly helpful, goal to be able to fully alternate jumps? Or would it be better to stick to singletapping jumps, and alternating everything else?

Gopal12
No just don't alternate jumps, you will get finger lock if a stream pops out of nowhere after the jump. Try single tapping everything except streams, triplets, Quadlets, and high bpm sliders.
KupcaH
Yes, it is. Alternating is basically cheating on higher bpm!
Rikii
I only alternate on high bpm map.
It also helps me gain control over both of my fingers, so when I am tired of single tapping or almost choking my other finger comes to help.
Equbuxu
I alternate everything lol
OneTrueDuceOK
I've been alternating since I started playing and now can play both alternating and single tap style. Yes, you can alternate jumps. Alternating jumps is much faster than single tap (if same skill) but harder to control, if you're a beginner to alternating, your acc will likely suck, but as you play more, you'll be more used to the rhythm of alternating jumps.

edit: for which style you should be going I believe just play what you feel the best and comfortable. I mostly play alt since I started playing the game with that style and that is now my most comfortable style. You should just play what you either started with, or what you're the most comfortable now, since either style when mastered can give you great result.
Endaris
Define alternating.
You can alternate but still stiffen your fingers like a singletapper to exert more control which slows you down.
Vuelo Eluko

Gopal12 wrote:

No just don't alternate jumps, you will get finger lock if a stream pops out of nowhere after the jump. Try single tapping everything except streams, triplets, Quadlets, and high bpm sliders.
only prob i experience with full alt is accuracy being lower, reason is simple: when you transition between a typical 1/2 (jumps) and 1/4 (stream) section as full alt you have to speed your fingers up exactly double, that is VERY hard to do without hitting any 100's at all even when navigating a complex rhythm when compared to singletapping.

I'll explain why: When a singletapper does the transition he just brings his second finger along for the ride, his main finger doesn't actually change speed, a stream is just singletapping with both fingers when you break it down. All he needs to do is make sure his fingers are connecting at the right intervals apart, the speed he needs to do the 1/4th's at is already ingrained by the 1/2. Full alt player does not actually get this info directly from 1/2, and on top of keeping the interval consistent he has to speed up and slow down on a dime and by the exact amount. It is immensely more complex for the human motor system to pull off.

You can overcome these downsides of full alting with practice, it's a viable playstyle, I just don't see the point. There will be times where as a singletapper you are forced by a map to full alt due to the bpm, this should be the only time you do it; when the only other option is to not be able to click the circles. Small mention for slider jumps/streams where acc isnt so important but I think this is a bad habit with lazer on the horizon.

Being a full alt player will afford you some advantages, take the transitions in furiosa melodia jumpstreams for example, most players find these very awkward to acc, as a full alt player skilled enough to play this map they will feel quite natural, you'll only have to struggle with the awkward ass miss inducing spacing. ;)
Topic Starter
Joltie
Biggest thanks to everyone who replied to this thread! all your different opinions are very helpful to me in deciding.
edit-

Endaris wrote:

Define alternating.
You can alternate but still stiffen your fingers like a singletapper to exert more control which slows you down.

not sure what you mean by this, mind clarifying?
ExpandedDust
alternate jumps and single tap streams :)
WitherMite
cool. dont necropost, nobody cares about your answer to a year old question.
Thesweetdragon
It all depends on the BPM of the ass. If its a lower BPM then its better to try alternating if you want to get use to a certain pattern? Maybe that pattern will come up in a faster Higher BPM map and if you see it you'll know what combinations of buttons to press. But as for practicality? Its all up to you, ive just been alternating to get use to alternating patterns at higher BPM also to learn more finger control as well as just making my fingers not so damn stubborn. But if im going for an FC then i typically single tap on lower BPMs.
AdaptionzNeon

WitherMite wrote:

cool. dont necropost, nobody cares about your answer to a year old question.
who cares? just let them add information on for other people that come in lmao