forum

love y'all

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
MisakiTobisawa-
I just haven't really had the time to play or map that much recently, besides weekends. School has been holding me back. I just want y'all to know that I'm alive, and that I remember that y'all exist. I came here out of nowhere after finishing my exams from last year and used to participate pretty actively, but now that I'm starting my senior year in high school, I really just need to wake up my idea. Maybe I'll work out my schedule and I'll be able to spend time here. But for now, I'll concentrate on my studies.

Ehhhspecially when you get THESE kinds of things thrown at you.
Tad Fibonacci
Aww that's sweet.
Yeah, you should focus on your studies and hang out on OT whenever you feel like it.
Good luck with the studies.

Btw, your pic gave me flash backs. I hate math.
Aiseca
Lol, same here.
but work not school.
abraker
that math is cute
Achromalia
Ah, math.

I used to love the subject, but I've grown to be rather indifferent about it now.

Nice to see you're around, though. Good luck on your studies.
Westonini

abraker wrote:

that math is cute

But good luck though.
Plini

Westonini wrote:

abraker wrote:

that math is cute
johnmedina999
Talking about math, how do you find the equation of a parabola through three points?
Westonini
You mean like Simpson's rule? Actually no, nevermind.
abraker
suppose you want to find the parabola for points that fit (1,4), (2,13), and (3, 22)

first the model: y = a*x^2 + b

next equate

(1,4): 4 = a*1^2 + b
(2,13): 13 = a*2^2 + b
(3,22): 22 = a*3^2 + b

next simplify:

(1,4): 4 = a*1^2 + b = a + b
(2,13): 13 = a*2^2 + b = 4a + b
(3,22): 22 = a*3^2 + b = 9a + b

next subtract one of them to cancel out either a or b:

13 - 4 = (4a + b) - (a + b)
9 = 3a
a = 3

next plug in a for one of them:

4 = a + b
4 = 3 + b
1 = b

And there you have it:
y = 3x^2+1
johnmedina999
Huh, just a system. Interesting.

But that curve doesn't fit your third point (3, 22). And isn't the form of a quadratic equation y=ax^2 + bx + c? Aren't you forgetting the x?

I mean, it's a good approximation, but still.
pentaqola
I didn't know this is what I am going to encounter in the future. GUESS I WILL STUDY THAT IF I CAN.
abraker
3*9 is not 21 it's 27. I screwed up my own math lol
levesterz
It can be 21 when algebra is involve tbh
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

3*9 is not 21 it's 27. I screwed up my own math lol
I don't get it. Where did you mess up?

On a side note, I did the same procedure with y=ax^2 + bx + c and I got y=-0.5x^2 + 11.5x - 7 which is close but only goes through (1, 4).
abraker
I messed up making up the problem. Should have been (3,29) not (3, 22)
johnmedina999
That shouldn't matter though, right? You should be able to find the parabola through any three points.
ColdTooth
Math is hard, kids
abraker
The point was to create a perfect example
johnmedina999

abraker wrote:

The point was to create a perfect example
>_>
johnmedina999
Thanks for the help, though. I have the gist of it. I can now approximate the curve (though I don't know if it'll be accurate enough for reliable calculations, especially at higher numbers).
johnmedina999
Achromalia
Looking at you guys do math while I'm in math class. Great.
abraker
Make a spaceship so big it has its own gravity. Build watermills and let water flow down to the center of the spaceship. Use watermills to power the spaceship. Use robots to carry buckets of water back up.

I had to explain to a friend why you can't get energy out of that.
Serraionga

Information.
Destination: ???
Coordinates: X: ???.??? / Y: ???.???
Environment: ???
Temperature: ??ºC / ??ºF
Distinct features: Unknown. It could be anything.
TeeArctic1

Serraionga wrote:

Information.
Destination: ???
Coordinates: X: ???.??? / Y: ???.???
Environment: ???
Temperature: ??ºC / ??ºF
Distinct features: Unknown. It could be anything.

Ť̴̫̽͘h̴̨̢̡̫̰͖͈͖͚̣̩͉̣̃̈́̅͐̅̐̎̀̔̆͂̄͒͜e̴̛͎͍̫̊̉̿̑̆̂̉͌͂̑̚͘͘͝ ̶̢͕͕̔ą̵͙̜̣̮̱̹̪̰̯̤͔͓̚ņ̸̣́͗o̶̦̫̪͎͕̰͖͋͂m̸̢̨̧̢̡͇̫̳̣̠̳͎͚̣̩̾̑̂͗̽̂̃̕͘͠a̸̡̰̱͇͖̹͕̤̎l̷̟̬̠̤̑̂̔̈́̈́̀̊͐̓̀̔̏͋͘y̸̡̮͔̠͇̲̰̍ ̵͔͉́͂̎̐́̉̃̕͝͝͝ḭ̴̙͙̀̃́́̉͌͝s̵̨̹͕̩̺͇͍̰͔̬̭̯̬̎͒̓͋̑̀̊̈͂̈́͑̈́̌͘͜ ̵̧̰͎̯͉̗̄̇̇̀̓̈́̋̇̈́̈́͜ȅ̵̛̗̖̩͗͋̐͑̅͂̚͝͝x̴̧̨̭̬̝͉͈͉̳̦̮̦̱̱̓̊̕͠ͅp̶̹̃̅̉̍͑̿͌̈͝a̴̺͔̤͇͚̟̖̗̓̌̋ṉ̸͉̠̯͚̲̺͌̀͆͊̈́͑̓͗̇̇̃͝ḏ̶̬͉͓̺̹̤͇̟͚͕̘̱͖́̄͐̿̊̃̆́͜͝ì̸͔͙̥̬̗͛̈̈̃̉̈́̎̊̿̾͛͆ņ̵̢̧̱̘͍̂̃̓͋̌g̷̨̡̨͉̰̹̝͈̝̻͖̔̒͜
̶͎̻̰̩̖̹̣̣̊̀̃̍̄͘
̵̧̠͉̺̪̣̫̺̖̙̫̃̊̈́̊͊͌C̸̢̯̬̲̩̘͔͙̥̍͊̈͒͆̈́̅̋̊̓̑̍̅͗͠r̸͉̝̈́̀i̴̭̙͖̱̗̱̽̽̃͆̽̄̓̏̆̓͒̾́͒͠ť̷͕̬̦̹̰͌̉̀̐͆͑̈́͌͝ȋ̸̛͓̩̗̜̜͋̽̍̽̈́̾̀̇̏̓̕ç̸̛̫̝͕̗̗̯̲̹͇͓̿̊̉͒̊̋̋͑͋̍̉͑̕͜a̴̢̢̦͙͓̭̪̤͋̈́̏̓͂ĺ̸̮͚̳̩͚͈͓̈ ̷̛̦͈̞̰̖͍̩̮̬̘̉̅̓̽̈́̈́́́̾͋̍̕͜͜͝l̴̨͔͚̜̯͎̱͇͚̘̲̲̱̦͒̐̃̒̉͠ȩ̶̹̟̪̱̈́̊̀v̵̨̤͇͓͊̾͆͆̂͂͂̊̏̄͛́̚͝ȩ̷͕̩̖̗͎̠̖̹̬̩̻͈͎̖̂́̑̕͝l̴̡̛͕͉͕̰̗̣͔͔̤̩̄̾͐͛̚̚͜ͅs̴̜͊̒̊͋̔́͗̓́̕̚ ̸̡̛̺̥̙̜̬̮͇̖͙̾̃͝r̶̢̡̡̡̬̗̙̱̻̹̱̫̱͓͎͆͒̈́̀é̸̡̫̳̪̟͔̣̠̝̬̬̹̤̯̜̆̽̌̓͐̀̍͝ȧ̷̭̯̐̔̈́̚c̵̭̗̽̊̍̈̉̐͜ͅĥ̵̹̇e̸̘͉̥̲̫̳͓̟̗͖̔̂d̵̢̡̝̠͉͛͊͐͘
̵̬̈̉̆̓̔̈̀
̴̛̪͍͎̝̦͕͔̤̾͐̑̈͗͑͜͝͠T̴̢̥̩͖̄͗͛̇̍̊͝ŗ̸͍̝̤͚̟̪̟͚̘̜͕͓̀͒͌̿̽̎͒͂̽͆̋̔̈́̐͝ä̵̢͉͇͙̼̲̳̺̪̖́p̷͇͇̙͈̼̃̓̈̎͌͋̆̾̚͜p̶̨̧̩̫̠͎͙͓̖̞͈̪̉̎̄̉̒̇̆͜͠ë̵̛̥̭̲̜̩́̊͑͌͂d̵͇͙̺͒̔̈́͑̀̓͆̄̏̕͝͝
̴̹͖̬̘̯̩̠͈̗͉͍̻̆̀̉́
̸̧̧̡͎̯̞̦̺̦͙̜͖̙̖̎̑̅T̷̘͉̟̭̟̼͒ã̷̹̯̩̠̍̿k̴̪̗̲̭̳̆͂̈́̄͜e̴̡̧̨̺̟̫̭͓̞̼̗͉̬͙̽̓ͅǫ̴̛͔̑̽̿̿͑̈v̶̛͉̠̈͑́̅͑ę̴̻̞͇̻̱̈͛̾̅̒̈́̎͑͜͝r̷̫̬̞̥̪̋̿ ̷̡̻̱̩̻̺̂̾į̸̞̞̥̘̉̈́̐͗̒͐̾̿̑̆͋͆m̶̖̪̳͉̮̲̺̤̼̖̍̌̏̃̀̓̇̀̆̒̿̊͘͜m̸̜̓̋̏̿̋̉̀͂̐͐̇͌͆̒͘i̵̧̜̻̠̓̋̈́͋̃̈̓ǹ̵̖̗̘̄̇̈͒̾̄́̈́̚̕e̸͉͌͗̓͗͛̇́̍̓̀ṅ̵̨̻̠̮̝̘̱̘͓t̷͎̋